This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You WILL feed me

I was just reminded of a funny little SC incident back when I was working at the cafe.

This old bag used to come in with her husband all the time. She was a complete witch, but her husband was really sweet. He'd sort of rein her in when they were together, so she never really ticked me off too much. She was still snappy and demanding, but not insulting.

One day, she came in about twenty minutes before we closed. Our kitchen closed for meals about an hour before we closed. Most people coming in after that just wanted a quick coffee and pastry anyway, so it was rarely a problem. And it meant we could have the kitchen cleaned by the time we locked the doors, so we could go home shortly thereafter. The old bag knew this, because we had turned her and her husband away previously when they wanted a late lunch. He had dragged her off at the time, but this time, it was just her. And I swear, she timed her visit for late afternoon just so she could cause a scene.

She walks in (pushing the "Please Wait to Be Seated" sign out of her way) and sits down. I go over with her coffee (because its her usual) and say, "Would you like to see our dessert menu today?" I'm hoping like hell that she takes the hint and just gets pie or something. But NO. She says, and I can quote almost verbatim after all this time because I'll never forget it:

"You close at 5 pm. It is now twenty minutes before 5. That means I will be ordering lunch. You WILL feed me. I know you're all lazy here, but today you will have to do some work."

And she gives me this smirk. I have had recurring daydreams ever since of me reaching out and smacking that damn smirk right off her face. She made me that mad. But in reality, I calmly say, "I'll see what I can do" and head into the kitchen where my sister, the owner, is just finishing the floor. I tell her the situation, she thinks about it, then says, "I'll deal with her". And she marches out of the kitchen and over to her table and says:

"I'm tired of you coming in here and giving my staff attitude. You know we don't serve lunch after 4 o'clock. But if you had asked nicely, I would have gladly whipped something up for you as a one time favour. When asking for a favour, most people ask nicely. You chose to be rude. So I am choosing to refuse you service. You may leave now."

And my sister just turned and walked back into the kitchen. And the old bag sat there, stunned for a minute. Then she said something about how we "should be ashamed" of ourselves and stalked out.

To my knowledge, the woman never returned, but I did serve her husband the next week, and he was as pleasant as always, leaving a very nice tip.

And yes, my sister IS awesome.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

She's calling the staff lazy? The same woman who comes in to be served instead of cooking for herself? Good on your sister for standing up for everybody.

I know you're all lazy here, but today you will have to do some work."
    That's the ONE thing i can't stand customers saying! They will come in, see you not helping anybody and they will come up with the stupid lines, "Let's put you to work!" or my personal favorite "Which one of you would like to work!" I have been here for hours helping customers and you think I am just sitting here for my health?

You are lazy? So i guess standing on your feet all day, using the register, helping customer demands, serving and cooking food is considered lazy? Dumb broad.

Then she said something about how we "should be ashamed" of ourselves and stalked out.
    For what? Defending the staff? Following the rules? or not serving her queenliness her food?

Comment

You WILL feed me.
      I'm picturing you coming out with a jar of strained peas and a little rubber-coated spoon, tying a bib around her neck and making airplane noises...
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Boozy, your sister ROCKS!! Give her a high-five for me!

I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

That's just, wow. Boozy's sister for the win.

And that's awesome. I love to see an SC get served exactly what they deserve, and you do have the right to refuse service--might as well make good use of it!
          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            I'm picturing you coming out with a jar of strained peas and a little rubber-coated spoon, tying a bib around her neck and making airplane noises...
            Single-engine or jet?
            "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post

"You close at 5 pm. It is now twenty minutes before 5. That means I will be ordering lunch. You WILL feed me. I know you're all lazy here, but today you will have to do some work."
              Okay, But you do have to be gone when the cafe closes. Well kick you out at 5:00 and anytime after you will be charged for trespassing.
              Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

Comment

I'm glad your sister got rid of her I must admit though, I'm just as glad that her husband didn't harbour you any ill-will and came back anyway!

I know how you feel Moonchild >.< A typical weekend night at the movie store means a huuuuuuuge rush and a LOT of people constantly in and out from about 5:30 to 7:30... So after 7:45, when you've just gotten all the returns back on the shelves and there's noone in the store for a full minute, and you lean against the counter for 5 seconds thinking "Ahh, I'll rest for a moment before I start on those other tasks", you get people come in, and I swear there's at least one every night, who sees you there and goes "Haha, a good night tonight eh? No work to do! Haha!"
                Re: Quiche.
                Pie is manly.
                Eggs, meat, and cheese are manly.
                Therefore, making an egg, meat, and cheese pie must be very manly.
                So sayeth Spiffy McMoron!

Comment

Boozy, may I add your sister to my list of girl crushes?
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                    And my sister just turned and walked back into the kitchen. And the old bag sat there, stunned for a minute. Then she said something about how we "should be ashamed" of ourselves and stalked out.
                    The only reason you should've felt shame was if you would've caved in and gave that loser what she wanted.
                    "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

Quoth BusyBee View Post
                      I must admit though, I'm just as glad that her husband didn't harbour you any ill-will and came back anyway!
                      Perhaps her husband was as fed-up with her SC behavior as the restaurant staff (if not more; he has to live with her! ) and was quietly pleased to see her get her comeuppance. Serves the hag right, too.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                        ......but I did serve her husband the next week, and he was as pleasant as always, leaving a very nice tip.
                        Maybe she went home and told him her sob story of how "poorly" she was treated, and he told her she deserved it, and she left him!

Mike
                        Meow.........

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
                          Maybe she went home and told him her sob story of how "poorly" she was treated, and he told her she deserved it, and she left him!
                          We can only hope! A nice guy like that deserves better...
                          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

The old biddy was probably used to being able to bulldoze and manipulate people. Unfortunately, some elderly folk abuse that "respect for the aged" thing. Good on your sister for standing up to her and showing that servers are people too!
                            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                              Unfortunately, some elderly folk abuse that "respect for the aged" thing.
                              My reply to that is always "Jesus said do on to others as you would want done on to you, you are showing me no respect so why should I show you any?" Disrespect me and you get it back.

Boozy, your sister rocks. I have a feeling that she didn't leave him, he just snuck in there. Either that or she "made" him go in there and pitch a fit. Which he did by leaving you a large tip.

"Yep honey, I gave them a piece of my mind alright. No I don't need dinner why?"

Comment

Working...
                              X