This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying little man.

The pub where i work (only for another week, thank God), has a regular customer who just gives me the heeby jeebies. He's elderly and speaks with an almost indecipherable German accent (which isn't his fault, i know). He insists on touching people, customers and staff, and getting way too far into their personal space. If he sees me talking to male customer or coworker he comes straight over and says, "you good girl? he going to take you out tonight, maybe take you home?" To the male he says, "She a good girl, strong girl good for babies." If i show him my finger with my engagement ring he grabs my hand and tries to kiss it. I've taken to running away when i see him now, but the stupid old fart tries to follow me.

Umm . . . I dunno about Australia, but in the US that is harrassment and is punishable by law! Can you say anything to your boss (maybe not for you since you only work there for 1 more week, but maybe for other employees)?
    ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

yah, technically it IS harrassment. But i live in a very small town, and the pub is owned by one individual. In his mind it's only harrassment if they try and rape you. The manager tries his best, but the owner won't bar anyone who is a regular high paying customer. The only way people get barred is if they start breaking furniture. Nice to know the staff rate lower than furniture.

Comment

That really sucks. Well, I'm sorry. At least you only have to watch your back for one more week. Good luck!
        ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Next time let him kiss your hand, after you've coated it with hot sauce or something that will make him sick!

Comment

now there's a thought; they make something for dogs that keeps them from chewing and licking themselves raw.

it's called bitter apple/orange; the nasty taste just might be the ticket!
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

perhaps a chair should break.... not exactly honest i know, but sometimes the ends justify the means. that's creepy.

Comment

Doesn't it flatter you to know that you're "good for babies"?

Comment

Oh, yeah. That's just what i always wanted to hear from a creepy old German guy. That hot sauce/bitter apple thing is a great idea

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Not dealing with harrassment - slightly off topic but this reminds me of this guy that came into the bar I was working in once right at opening (4pm). Until 10pm - the bar was a virtual wasteland. From 4 - 10 I basically existed for the service bar.

This little old guy came in an ordered a beer. So far, so good. Seemed polite. After two sips, it started...

Now, I have NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING against vets, they served their country and personally, after they served, I feel our government gives them the shaft with no lube. Just my opinion...

Little old guy is a Vietnam Vet. I soon knew his entire Vietnam story. He was bitching about how capable he still is today but no one gives him an opportunity to do anything today. He doesn't need help, he is a fully capable old guy despite he is XX age year old. He got angrier and angrier the more he told his story.

Mind you, even though the restaurant is opened, I am still doing bar prep work...cutting fruit, prepping mixes, etc, etc for the inevitable slam we got around 10pm. Even though the bar was small, he was out of his seat and if I walked to the service bar, he walked there, talking, if I walked back to the main part of the bar, he walked back...he was a capable guy, you know.

He started to think that I didn't believe him about how capable he was. He then proceeded to show me how physically capable he was by doing karate style kicks in the middle of the bar. He'd say, "They think I am crippled! HA! Can a cripple do this?" *KICK* "Did you see that? That ain't no cripple!" *KICK*

The second bartender, Jules, came on and all of a sudden, I needed to go to the coolers in the back to get more fruit - not really, but I had an hour of this guy already and it was Jules turn.

I took my own sweet time and when I got back, Julesy cornered me in the service well and said, "Thanks, thanks a lot!" I said, "Wasn't his kick amazing?"

The manager asked the guy to settle down and after his beer (took him over an hour to suck down one) he left. I suppose it was because he wasn't allowed to perform for us anymore!
                      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth Trishlovesdolphins View Post
                        perhaps a chair should break.... not exactly honest i know, but sometimes the ends justify the means.
                        I really hope that you are not suggesting tampering with a chair so the customer falls and possbly gets hurt?

I would really hope you have been around CS long enough to know just how wrong that suggestion would be.

Equally as nasty was the 'hot sauce' suggestion.

We all have 'those people' in our line of work, but I always like to think that the way we treat them says a lot about us as people.
                        Sometimes, being too nice can be an encouragement for more of the same, but maybe a simple, firm and honest, "Please don't kiss my hand or touch me," or even telling him, "Thanks for trying to play matchmaker, but I have my own plans," or just ignoring the comments could be effective.

When I hear stories about people like that, I am always reminded of that story Juniormintz shared on another board, about one of their annoying customers.

He died a sad and lonely death, and had the people at JAM's shop listed as emergency contact, I believe. That story really touched me, and made me reconsider all the 'crazies' that take up space in our store.
                        We never know how we have affected another person's life.
                        Last edited by Ree; 10-14-2006, 04:44 PM.
                        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                          I really hope that you are not suggesting tampering with a chair so the customer falls and possbly gets hurt?
                          I'm thinking that person meant finding a "storage device" for it.

Comment

Ah, you mean, one less chair in the bar so no place for him to sit?

That makes better sense.
                            Thanks for putting that spin on it.
                            Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I did mean by breaking his fav chair, he might not want to sit in another, therefore not come back... and I thought you knew me better than that.
                              Last edited by Trishlovesdolphins; 03-07-2007, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X