X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Are* you the President?

I just got off this call.

Lady wants to install our product, program X. It is currently conflicting with program Y. I tell her she needs to get rid of program Y, but I can't help her.

SC: Why not?
    Me: It's competing software, and we cannot help with competing software due to legality issues.
    SC: Oh I see. You can, but you won't because it's against the law.

Finally! Someone gets it!

Or not...
    SC: So if I was the President of the United States, and I suspended that law, could you do it?

I'm not sure what she wanted. If I had said yes, would she have gotten suckier?

Oh wait...The answer is yes.

WTF?! What does being the president of the US have to do with software or anything in general?! The question of the century...

Comment

Quoth nekoro View Post
      SC: So if I was the President of the United States, and I suspended that law, could you do it?
      No, because that is a legislative function that the President does nto have the authority to do. Good day, mad'am. *click*
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

"I'm sorry, ma'am, only the Supreme Court can disregard laws as they see fit."

...I'm sorry, I'm bad, I know. *slaps own wrist* I'll insult everyone if you give me a window to do it...

Seriously, though, what kind of leap of faith logic leads one to give voice to that statement? I understand thinking it, but what sort of little bitty baby do you have to be to actually whine it to someone?
        "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Well unless President Gates gets elected...
          "Being crazy was the only thing that kept me from going insane."
          - Raven

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
            "I'm sorry, ma'am, only the Supreme Court can disregard laws as they see fit."

Love it!

Comment

If you had said yes, she would have pounced "AHA! So you're biased towards the wealthy and powerful! Condemned with your own words! So you would help the president but not us ordinary customers?! I knew it!"

Comment

Quoth Writer Cath View Post
                Well unless President Gates gets elected...
                hmm, I wonder if Linux would be declared illegal then...
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                  hmm, I wonder if Linux would be declared illegal then...
                  Nah, just Netscape and Firefox
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth nekoro View Post
                    Or not...
                    If you were the President, why would you be phoning me? You'd get White House technical support to phone me.
                    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

I've had 2 ppl bring up the presidentay in the past. One guy said he "toured with ZZ Top & George Bush" & another guy said if we didn't do what he was demanding, he would tell George Bush. *shrug* Funny.

PJ
                      The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post

...I'm sorry, I'm bad, I know. *slaps own wrist* I'll insult everyone if you give me a window to do it...

Oh, Mysty, we expect nothing less

I'm gonna go ahead and guess the White House has plenty of tech support people on staff and the president has little or no knowledge of the day-to-day goings on of the computer software (no comments on the phrase "the president has little or no knowledge" please ).
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                          I'm gonna go ahead and guess the White House has plenty of tech support people on staff and the president has little or no knowledge of the day-to-day goings on of the computer software
                          Yes, but does the President know where to get some Tang?

Bonus points for anyone who gets the reference.
                          Last edited by protege; 05-03-2007, 06:05 PM. Reason: Fixed the quote thingie :)
                          "Being crazy was the only thing that kept me from going insane."
                          - Raven

Comment

Sounds like she heard the very old joke about a person who called a hotel to get a room:

Desk: I'm sorry. There's nothing available. We're booked solid.
                            Customer: If the President came in looking for a place to stay, would you have a room for him?
                            Desk: Well... yes.
                            Customer: I happen to know he's not coming to your hotel tonight. I'll take his room.
                            I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Quoth Writer Cath View Post
                              Yes, but does the President know where to get some Tang?

Bonus points for anyone who gets the reference.
                              The Simpsons, I believe it was the Homer in Space episode. Of course, the real star of the episode was Inanimate Carbon Rod.

Comment

Working...
                              X