This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's a first...

Just a moment ago I had a lady call and say "I need a disconnect notice." Assuming she just didn't get hers, I pull up the letter archive and note that there has never been a d/c notice on her account, and she's actually exempt from disconnection thanks to certain loopholes. I inform her as such and she says "I know, I just need the disconnection notice so they'll pay my bill."

Wait.

Okay, so...you WANT to fall into collections actions?

I advise here that we can't just SEND out a disconnection notice unless she's going to get disconnected. Of course this is unacceptable, and she informs us it is illegal to shut her off. I thus inform her it is consequently illegal for us to send her a shut off notice then.

SHE FREAKS OUT!

Of course, this ISN'T ACCEPTABLE. And she tells me how this bill will NOT BE PAID since she needs a disconnect notice to have energy assistance to pay it, and there is a due date for EA turn in. However, we already went over the fact that we wouldn't shut her off.

She hung up on me in a fit of rage. *sigh*

Having someone ask for a shut off notice is certainly a first for me.
    Your dignity shredded in five minutes or less, or your abuse is free.

she wanted welfare, you weren't giving her the means to obtain it. You bastard
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

"Of course, this ISN'T ACCEPTABLE. And she tells me how this bill will NOT BE PAID since she needs a disconnect notice to have energy assistance to pay it, and there is a due date for EA turn in. However, we already went over the fact that we wouldn't shut her off.

She hung up on me in a fit of rage. *sigh*

Having someone ask for a shut off notice is certainly a first for me."

I am not familiar with energy assistance. Is that a program where people who cannot afford to pay their energy bills for example welfare, senior citizens get it paid for by the goverment or other agencies? If so then yes you would need a disconnect notice to be filled in a certain time interveral to show that you couldn't pay the bill. Agencies often have set window on when they can take people into the program. Sometimes you have to wait months to put in the application for say public assistance housing.

Comment

Seems she's in a bit of a catch-22 there...I'm trying to figure out if she's actually trying to commit some kind of fraud but it doesn't sound like it...I think...
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth ominousoat View Post

Having someone ask for a shut off notice is certainly a first for me.
          This happens to me at least once a week. They'll call asking when we're going to send out the turn off notice so they can schedule a visit with the welfare office. I don't know if I'm happy or sad about the fact that the state welfare office recently ran out of funds. I'm happy that the young and fit now have to actually work for thier money, but I hate hearing old men and women crying on the phone because thier SSI check doesn't stretch far enough for them, and they can't get any help because the agencies are out of money. Seniors are protected from shut off from November - March, so there's alot of them out there on the verge of getting turned off. It's a sad, sad world we live in and it appears it's only going to get worse here in Michigan......

Comment

At least she was trying to get the bill paid, even if not by herself...
            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Pinkie View Post
              I'm happy that the young and fit now have to actually work for thier money, but I hate hearing old men and women crying on the phone because thier SSI check doesn't stretch far enough for them, and they can't get any help because the agencies are out of money.
              That is just too sad for words.

So many people ruin programs like that, taking advantage of them and not really needing them, and the people who DO need such assistance don't get the help they need.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Common sense would suggest that she just ride the easy train until she's not covered anymore, so then you guys will send her a disconnect notice and THEN she take it in......

Makes sense to me.....I'm not allowed.
                ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                  That is just too sad for words.

So many people ruin programs like that, taking advantage of them and not really needing them, and the people who DO need such assistance don't get the help they need.

It is too sad. I work hard for my money, and when I see or hear someone abusing the system, it pisses me off. Esp if they are as young or younger then I am.
                  Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                  San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Working...
                  X