This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First World Problems & Non-Issues

I’m not perfect. I make mistakes and I let people down sometimes. Some of them are real mistakes like not checking that the valeters put the mats back in your car after a last minute clean up on your collection day. Some of my mistakes are less real however...

“Customer to transfer own plate”? Yeah I saw that on the order form but I thought that meant you did it. How am I supposed to drive my car without my personalised plate?

Internal Monologue: The same way we common people do. I’ve never quite worked it out but we somehow manage to traverse to our place of daily toil without having BE11END screwed to our bumpers. Transfers take a few minutes online. Try it sometime.

I just can’t quite make my mind up between the UberPoser and the SuperPoser SUVs. I want you to take both off sale for me until I’ve made my mind up and sorted out a loan. Only one you say? Deposit? Can’t just stop selling all of the stock for someone who ‘might buy one next month’? This is outrageous!

Internal Monologue: Yes we really are bastards aren’t we.

Why should I keep having to pay so much to drive a new car? They lose half their value in the first couple of years and I don’t see why I have to keep paying for a new one.

Internal Monologue: Maybe keep this one for a bit then? Oh you wouldn’t be seen dead in a car over two years old? No? Oh I completely understand. Maybe I can talk the manager into giving you this one for free? Not good enough? Ok so you want a free towbar with your free car? I’ll ask for you.

Ah that’s a trap! If I tell you what my budget is then you’ll find a car that costs that much.

Internal Monologue: That’s kind of the idea yes. Would you prefer so see cars you can’t afford or are you under the impression that I will take you to a secret area for people who refuse to talk to us where we keep a bunch of cars that we’re selling for half of their value?

Quoth Ahbugger View Post
    Oh you wouldn’t be seen dead in a car over two years old?
    It's my understanding that due to the cost of customization, and the VERY limited mileage they get (plus the "body on frame" models they are made from being discontinued), it's not unusual to see a hearse that's over 10 years old. Sounds like the SC WILL be seen dead in a car over two years old.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Ahbugger View Post
      I’ve never quite worked it out but we somehow manage to traverse to our place of daily toil without having BE11END screwed to our bumpers.
      Ohhh my ribs, my poor ribs....
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Ah that’s a trap! If I tell you what my budget is then you’ll find a car that costs that much.
        He really wants to spend less than that. So why doesn't he use a neuron or two and tell you something a thousand or so bucks under what he really has budgeted?
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Bet if you showed him a vehicle that was well below his budget that he could easily afford, he'd go off about you thinking he's poor or something..
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

BE11END
            For the uninitiated, that is actually a valid UK registration plate (well, if it somehow passed the DVLA censors). "BE" indicates a Birmingham area issue, and "11" means spring-summer 2011.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              He really wants to spend less than that. So why doesn't he use a neuron or two and tell you something a thousand or so bucks under what he really has budgeted?
              Seriously. When I bought my last car (in 1997) I wasn't about to tell those people that my credit union had pre-approved me up to 35K. I ended up spending 8K, and I'm still driving the same car today. (Why not? Yes, it's small and ugly, but it's only got 121K miles on it, runs well, is reliable, and gets great gas mileage. The person who "wouldn't be seen dead in a car over 2 years old" doesn't know what they're missing, e.g. no payments, cheap insurance, etc.)

Comment

Until a bit over four years ago, I had never owned a new car. The newest one I had owned was three or four years old when I bought it (1990 model year, probably new in 1989, bought by me in 1993). I kept it for about a dozen years, and when I wrecked it I bought one just like it--same year and everything--and kept it for another eight years or so.

I like older cars, the only reason I bought a new one was at the insistence of my wife, who wanted me to get something larger with airbags and modern safety features.
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                  Bet if you showed him a vehicle that was well below his budget that he could easily afford, he'd go off about you thinking he's poor or something.
                  Of course.

Quoth Sparklyturtle View Post
                  I wasn't about to tell those people that my credit union had pre-approved me up to 35K. I ended up spending 8K...
                  In your case I'd be happy with an answer like "I'm looking for a car somewhere under 10k." or even "towards the lower end". To put my problem in perspective I can hook someone up with a brand new car that could loosely be described as a 'family car' for anywhere in between £20k and £80k. A pretty standard conversation goes:

C: I'm looking for a family car...
                  Me: Ok, anything caught your eye so far?
                  C: Not sure, I don't really know your brand could you show me a decent car.
                  Me: Sure, what's your budget?
                  C: *wink* oh nice try young man. I'm just after a good deal on something with a bit of space and good fuel consumption.
                  Me: Not going to give me any help at all?
                  C: No, there's no real budget. If the car's worth the price I'm happy to pay it.
                  Me: Ok well here's our UberPoser SUV. It's a hybrid engine that gets 3million miles to the gallon and it's got shiny wheels and extra twiddly bits. It's £80k.
                  C: *nearly vomits* ohmygodno don'tberidiculous notpayingthatforacar

repeat until you find out what their budget is

It saves a lot of time if they just tell me straight up. Everyone has some sort of idea of where they want to be... unless they've just come in to mess about with no intention of buying a car.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  ...and yeah this would be fine. I actually get a flat rate per car so there is precisely zero reason for me to do anything other than find a car within your budget but i get that everyone has been conditioned to think that I'm either a complete bastard or possibly Satan himself in a not very clever disguise.
                  Last edited by EricKei; 04-23-2016, 08:02 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

Someone explain to me the significance of BE11END?

Comment

Quoth otter View Post
                      Someone explain to me the significance of BE11END?
                      Our standard registration plates run two letters, two numbers and three letters AB12CDE and you can buy the right to use variants of your choice on this pattern (and older style plates) instead of having one randomly assigned to your car.

'Bell End' is UK slang.

Imagine, if you will, a shaft. An anatomical shaft, the end of which is somewhat dome shaped, bell-like...

I've said too much.
                      Last edited by Ahbugger; 03-15-2016, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Quoth Ahbugger View Post
                        'Bell End' is UK slang.

Imagine, if you will, a shaft. An anatomical shaft, the end of which is somewhat dome shaped, bell-like...
                        As in "the guy who decides whether or not to allow someone through the Pearly Gates"?, or the short form of "Richard"?

Comment

Yes. Also a male chicken and (curiously) the noise made by a bell.

I'm glad we can have these cultural exchanges on here

Comment

Or a company that manufactured dedicated word processing terminals.

Comment

I had no idea that's what 'Micom' meant in US English

Comment

Working...
                              X