This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I demand you serve me!!!

I was closing my register after I had just served this old woman. I turned off my light and was telling other people who had just turned up at my register to go to the other register to be served.

This is the following conversation with a really nice guy:

Me = Me
    AG = Arrogant Guy

Me = I'm sorry, I'm closing now, there's another register open.
    AG = You have to serve me.
    Me = *(slightly stunned at this point)* I'm sorry, but I'm closing now. There's another register open.
    AG = (Getting agro) You have to serve me, *there's nothing up here. (letting his video drop onto my register.

(*referring to no closing sign, because we don't have any!)

Me = *Serves the guys girlfriend who appeared after that point in time.)

I wouldn't have minded so much if the guy wasn't an absolute twit and demanded I serve him. Also I had told about 5-10 other people I couldn't serve them because I was closing!!!!

"there's nothing up here". Yes, that's why I have a light and it's turned off!!!!
    Some days I just want to chase the customer around with a big book with teeth. D:

I would have just refused to serve him. Cuz at the supermarket where I work, we have signs up only during the working day; closing after 10, or 4 on Sundays, and there's no sign. Also, isn't a light the same as a sign? I have a sign and/or a barrier tape; once those are up, no more sales. Don't like it? Tough; I have a home to go to, even if you don't.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Customers who think that we have to do anything are often gravely disappointed.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Seeing as you can refuse service... you should have said hell no, go to a lane with light on.

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
          Especially once your shift is over.

I was stuck on register, and was trying to close down because it was time for me to go home. I got tired of having to tell people who were too stupid to notice the "closed" sign and turned-off light that I was closing, so I stopped bothering. Once I took care of the last person who had made it into my line before I had closed, I shut down the register, walked into the back, clocked out, and went home.

Surprisingly, I didn't get in any trouble for that.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
            Surprisingly, I didn't get in any trouble for that.
            Of course, because heaven forbid we have to pay you overtime

Comment

*there's nothing up here. (letting his video drop onto my register.
              (point to light turned off)

"Of course there is. It's called a light, and it's out. And so am I. Those people at registers with the lights on will be happy to serve you."

/walk away
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                I was stuck on register, and was trying to close down because it was time for me to go home. I got tired of having to tell people who were too stupid to notice the "closed" sign and turned-off light that I was closing, so I stopped bothering. Once I took care of the last person who had made it into my line before I had closed, I shut down the register, walked into the back, clocked out, and went home.
                I love that!!!!!!!!
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

It's funny to see people get pissy when you close. I get that too, because granted, when it's time for shift change and the tills have to be swapped over, there's a big queue. When we say 'sorry, please take it to the next till, this one is closing' you can hear the tuts and sighs on the next continent.

I just smile at them. If they're that bad, I just go, 'Well if you'd like to pay me overtime, I'd be happy to leave my till open.' They soon shut up.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    (point to light turned off)

"Of course there is. It's called a light, and it's out. And so am I. Those people at registers with the lights on will be happy to serve you."

/walk away
                    Well, you shouldn't lie...I doubt they'd be "happy" to serve that schmuck...
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Customers just don't look up at the lights we have at the registers.....so you're forever calling them over to your register to be served, and when you are about to close...BOOM!

Sudden explosion of customers. *cry*

It's not like I have a life or something outside of work.
                      Some days I just want to chase the customer around with a big book with teeth. D:

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                        Seeing as you can refuse service... you should have said hell no, go to a lane with light on.
                        I so should have done that! But I'm meek and quiet and don't like dealing with agro customers that try and yell at me..........The only other register that was open doesn't have a light, but I did tell the guy to go there.....It's not like he couldn't have walked about 50 feet to the door where the register was....

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                          Being the smartass I am, I'm sure I would have said something like... "Keep it up, and I'll have to punch you in the face"
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

yeah

I would love these kind of people to dissappear....

But I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon

Comment

They also have the habit of going to the register that not only doesn't have a light one (usually when I was trying to clock in) but also has the lane tape thingie up, drawer wide open with no till in it, and no printer or keyboard hooked up to the register! Then ask if you're opening and get mad when you weren't. With what you eedjit? An abacus? OY!
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X