Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another case of the SC not reading the small print!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another case of the SC not reading the small print!

I was in the cash office the other day getting change for the tills when Jackie, the Entertainment lady, calls. She is speaking low and says "Jaime, get out here because I have a lady who is going crazy". I think "oh joy"!

I get out and before I even speak to the customer I see her. She has her finger pointed in Jackies face, and even though I can't hear her, I know she is complaining and putting Jackie down. Her face is all twisted with piss-offedness (lol).

I ask her what the problem is, in a nice way. She explains.....idiot!

A Little Background: We have a deal on CERTAIN books that when you buy a stickered book, you get another stickered book half price (nevermind the millions of people who think that Buy One Get One Half Price means Buy One Get One Free). We have one drop of shelves upstairs dedicated to this promotion and then we have the books stickered individually downstairs in the books dept.

This lady says that she picked a book off the shelf upstairs that said Buy One Get One Half Price and then came downstairs and picked a book to get in the deal and that Jackie won't give it to her half price. Jackie says that the 2nd book the lady picked out is not in the deal so that us why she refused to give it to her half price. She just came down and picked a book out of the crime section without a sticker on it. So, conversation goes as follows:

Me= moi
    SC= self-important customer

Me: I"'m sorry, but you have to pick a book with a sticker on it to get it half price as the books in the promotion are stickered".

SC:"NO! I will get this book half price because the sticker on the book from upstairs says "buy ONE get One half price", so that means that I get ANY ONE half price. It says ONE, and does not specify what ONE is reffering to" (OMG!!!!!!)

Me: "Well, with that way of thinking you could get anything in the store half price, but I am afraid that is not how it works".

I now go over to the promotional space next to the till downstairs. It has shelf skirts that say "Buy One Get One Half Price on Thousands of Selected Summer Reads" Under that says (in small print) "subject to availability, stickerd stock only"

Me: "You got the first book off a shelf upstairs, right"?

SC: "yes"

Me: "The shelf had this on it (shelf skirt), right"?

SC. "yes"

Me: "If you read it correctly, you would have seen the small print. It says "subject to availability, yes"?
    SC:"yes"

Me: "It also says STICKERED STOCK ONLY".

SC: "Well, how am I supposed to know that"?

Me: "It says it right here".

SC: "It is in small print"!

Me: "Yes, it is, but is is able to be read, I can read it, so you can read it too".

SC: "Typical! That is what companies do. They always have small print to cheat the customers".

Me: "It is not to cheat the customers, it is to stop situations like these" (then Jackie agrees with me)

SC:" Well.....fine then I'm leaving"! (and she throws the books down).

Now, really...does this woman have nothing better to do? I mean everyone knows that any BOGOHP does not mean ANYTHING IN THE ENTIRE STORE. Everyone knows that it only means certain items. This woman was just being an ass. God I hate customers so much! I AM the girl from Waiting!
    "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Of course you know the woman now will complain to your corporate office of how "rude" you were because you would not let her have the discount she thought she was entitled to receive, and then you dared to point out that you were correct and that she had failed to read the terms of the instructions that explained how the discount worked.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

I take it the fine print mentioned that the half price book must be of equal or lesser value? I guess since you're across the pond you don't have to worry about people trying to manipulate that by mixing and matching US and Canadian prices
      I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

not exactly the same but close enough
        http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/re...?date=20060728

Comment

of course, she cant get her own way so she pitches a fit

good on you for remaining to calm and not backing down!!
          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I love the people who don't realize that, as has been pointed out here, BOGOF and BOGOHO mean that you get the one of EQUAL OR LESSER VALUE free or half off. Don't realize, or don't want to accept, or are trying to scam you.

"What? I can't buy the three dollar beer and get the ten dollar margarita free with this coupon?"

No. No you can't. And where have you ever been where you COULD?

FOUR DAYS TILL VACATION!!!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Yes, Jester. I get it all the time. People come up to me with two books and say "I will have the £17.99 one free and pay for the £6.99 one". When I tell them that in fact, they can't have the expensive one free, they get all assy about it and look confused. Thing is, as I live in London and there are alot of asylum seekers that do not understand English very well |(or pretend not to when it helps them...no offense, but people DO do it) so it is difficult to try to explain this concept to them. Then there are the people who DO speak English who are ignorant....but they do say ignorance is bliss.
              "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Comment

Oh, if I only had a dollar for every time some customer tried to pull a fast one because of 'small print' . . . I'd have a nice chunk of money. *lol*

Some customers think they can bluff their way out of being dishonest by turning the tables on you and accusing the company of trying to cheat them. All you can do is state the obvious and herd them toward the door, hoping they'll utter the magic words: "I'm never coming here again!"

Comment

if there is one pet peeve of mine its people trying to twist worded documents in any way to their favor

it doesn't say this, so I can assume anything I want, more importantly what suits me

I could never fathom walking into a store with that attitude

If something is unclear, ask someone, end of story

Don't try and tell someone who works their, how it works

Some guy tried to claim the other week that he was supposed to be able to get a combo pack of lexmark ink free after rebate (value of $37)

suprise surpise the register didn't print out the rebate when he bought it, as it would for any valid rebate

If he looked at the ad he would notice the offer stating it was free after rebate, had the product, along with the compatible printer for another $170 seperated from other print, both together inside a rectangle and had some general wording like "when you purchase this item, get free"

but because it explicitely didn't say both items must be purchased, what seemed obvious enough we had to put up with his shanigans for a while

Comment

And that's why we have to put up with fine print, because SC's/scammers try to scam companies in these deals by twisting the meaning. Bastards.

Comment

Quoth Brighid45
                      Some customers think they can bluff their way out of being dishonest by turning the tables on you and accusing the company of trying to cheat them. All you can do is state the obvious and herd them toward the door, hoping they'll utter the magic words: "I'm never coming here again!"
                      Oh, they'll say that, no problem. It's just having them keep their word that's the issue...
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Ooh try dealing w/ people that have to sign contracts......... who DON'T read the contract at all & then get pissed that they "didn't know something" b/c "no one told them". HELLO!!! READ SOMETHING BEFORE YOU SIGN IT AND AGREE TO IT!!! Now I know I've been guility of skimming some things instead of reading them verbatim, but I try to look at the sections that I think are prob. the most important and make sure I read those before I sign something........ (like how long I have to cancel, what I might have to do to cancel, how much I might be charged,etc). Then people whine that "no one told me" - which basically means "I'm not old enough/smart enough/ responsible enough to read something before signing my name and saying I agree to it - I need someoen to tell me everything - maybe if you could draw up little note cards for me, or if you could hold my hand...... then I would be able to understand this contract thing better......" I posted on the SC translations a couple more things that have happend when people DON'T READ!

And it's amazing how they think they are "entitled" to something or they should get special treatment b/c blah blah blah <insert excuse here> even though the contract was provided to him, it was available online, they could always call the corporate offices.... and then they would try to get into a battle w/ the company & the BBB or someone - and we had everything documented so they came out looking like a real idiot... and then STILL felt that we were at fault for all of their problems........ UGH!

Comment

Working...
                        X