Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's official, I've found the person with the LEAST life...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's official, I've found the person with the LEAST life...

This one happened yesterday, but it's taken me this long to formulate a way to write it out. ...that and I tend to break into hysterical laughter when I dwell on it too long.

I was sitting at my desk yesterday, minding my own business, counting survivors on obits, when the elevator opened up. This happens a lot during the day, to my own personal annoyance, but oh well, it's in my job description and my boss R thinks it's good for me to have to help out people...apparently it's supposed to help make me more social-like. (Gotta give her credit for faith, )

So I turn to greet the woman who gets off and comes charging over to my desk. The conversation is approximately as follows.

Her: "I'm here to yell at someone."
    Me: Oh, great way to start, yeah, this is really gonna make sure I leap to your assistance right away. "Oh, what is it regarding?"
    Her: "It's about how the paper gets laid out, are you who's in charge of that."
    Me: "Well, no ma'am, but they're not in at the moment." (Blatent lie, BTW, but there's no reason to inflict this on them, I'm sure.)
    Her: "Well then I'll just tell you, and YOU can go yell at them."

Keep in mind, I'm doing this with a perfectly straight face. I'm distracting myself by staring at her solid brown teeth. Unfortunately, as she prattles on, she tells me basically what the problem is. You see, boys and girls, a newspaper page has two sides, front and back. Now, on our editorial page, we had an editorial cartoon. It was amusing, yeah, but it was hardly something to write home about. On the back of this page, somewhat overlapping the cartoon, was our weekly puzzle contest.

She, this woman, got dressed, put on her make-up, forgot to brush her teeth, got in her car, drove to our office, signed in downstairs, rode the ancient, creaky elevator up to the second floor, and came to me to complain that she couldn't cut out the puzzle without ruining the cartoon, and HOW DARE WE set it up like that?? Didn't we KNOW that people would want to keep BOTH of those!

Yes, I'm quite serious. She went on and on about this for five minutes, while I sat there, nodding, mm-hmming and saying "Yes ma'am", because any other response would have broken my iron will and sent me into gales of hysterics from whence there was no return. In retrospect, I COULD have suggested she spend another 50 cents to buy two papers, but this never occured to me while she was yelling at me because I was too busy thinking don't laugh don't laugh don't laugh.

Eventually, she finished up with "Now you make SURE that you go and you YELL at whoever set up this page like this! I don't want to see it ever again!" And turned on her heel and marched out.

The second the elevator door closed and she was safely out of hearing range, the entire newsroom, which had been watching this with wide eyes...burst into laughter.

I went and immediately asked the page setters to please please please overlap the cartoon and puzzle again next time.
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

wow
    I wanna be batshite crazy just like her when I grow old....
    Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

It's actually better that you didn't suggest to her that she spend another precious $.50. You would have had her go off on you like a rocket! And it wouldn't be that she *needs* the $.50, it would be "the principle of the matter".
      Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
      Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
      The Office

Comment

egads, Mysty, your stories always give me flashbacks of my time at the Reporter...

I once had a woman come in and spend 6 hours going through our bound books of past issues. It was her dog's tenth birthday or something, and apparently she'd seen him in one of those free classified ads---you know---the 'I'm available for adoption look at me I'm so cute!' ads with the picture and all. She couldn't find the ad. SIX HOURS she spent next to my desk (as I was closest to the front door) insisting it was there. I finally made the mistake of asking her if maybe it was the daily newspaper that she found it in, and not our alt weekly? She went ballistic of course. 'I never read their paper because blargle blargle blargle how dare you suggest such a thing' then finally accused us of CHANGING THE PAST ISSUE when we put it in the bound book just to mess with her before she stormed out in a huff.

Gotta love the paranoia, man.
        Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
          I went and immediately asked the page setters to please please please overlap the cartoon and puzzle again next time.
          EEEEVIL! I love it. Seriously though, what the hell is up with people like that? Shit happens, suck it up and move on. It's a sad state of existence when a minor mistake like that completely and utterly ruins your life, and you feel justified in having to go way, WAY out of your way to yell at someone for it.
          A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

I wish I had that much free time that I could go march up to the newspaper people and yell at them for something retarded. Jeez.

People are ridiculous. I think they should get off their asses and work for a change...

Mysty. LOOOOVE your begging the layout people. That's just so evil and awesome.
            I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
              EEEEVIL! I love it. Seriously though, what the hell is up with people like that? Shit happens, suck it up and move on. It's a sad state of existence when a minor mistake like that completely and utterly ruins your life, and you feel justified in having to go way, WAY out of your way to yell at someone for it.
              No, no, it's even better, there was no mistake. The puzzle was on one side of the page, the cartoon was on the other side. The only problem was that if she cut out the puzzle, she would have cut out the cartoon and ruined it.
              "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

No, no, it's even better, there was no mistake. The puzzle was on one side of the page, the cartoon was on the other side. The only problem was that if she cut out the puzzle, she would have cut out the cartoon and ruined it.
                That is better! I didn't catch that in the first read through. I wish I had that much time on my hands... but if I did, I'd be sitting on a beach with a Corona.
                A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

counting survivors on obits

I find that statement just as hysterical as the rest of the story. LMAO!
                  Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Why don't people with too much time on their hands do something nice, like volunteer work?
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Foxglove8778 View Post
                      wow
                      I wanna be batshite crazy just like her when I grow old....
                      I wanna be batshite crazy like Mysty, and I mean that in the nicest way possible.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

That is freaking awesome!

Forget the .50 to buy another paper. Take it to a grocery store and photocopy the cartoon for .10! Or do it for free. She's bound to know someone who has a scanner! Actually, perhaps not. I get the feeling she doesn't get out much.

Why even cut out the crossword? I've never had a problem doing one while still having it attached to the paper.

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
                        'I never read their paper because blargle blargle blargle how dare you suggest such a thing' then finally accused us of CHANGING THE PAST ISSUE when we put it in the bound book just to mess with her before she stormed out in a huff.
                        Yeah, sure, ma'am. I've been waiting 10 years for this day to come. I knew you'd come back looking for the ad, and I used my evil power to reprint the same issue minus your precious little doggy. At last, after a decade of anticipation, it has finally paid off! Mwa, ha, ha, ha! The only thing better than this will be the day I submit your obituary. By the way, you might want to have those brakes looked at.

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                        Why don't people with too much time on their hands do something nice, like volunteer work?
                        Because Suck cannot be utilized for good.
                        "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                          I find that statement just as hysterical as the rest of the story. LMAO!
                          *snickers* There's a completely logical reason, I promise. We have to limit the number of survivors we include in our free format to ten or less (unless there's more immediate family members, we will list all of those, but not in-laws or special friends or anything like that). When I can't tell at a glance whether or not we've gone over or under, I have to count them up and figure out who's in and who's out.

And I'm not batshite insane. ...I perfer "differently mental".

Comment

I got one better though, this guy complained to me that his cable box was taking too long to show the picture after he turns it on and off every night. So when he boots it up he said its taking too long to show a picture. Guess how long does it take for the picture to load on the screen......wait for it...

One Minute....
                            Never Underestimate the Element of Surprise - Odo, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Captain John Rourke(Clear Skies) - Ah, yes. another Black Bird. Are they free with cereal now or something?

Comment

I'm not batshite insane. ...I perfer "differently mental".
                              I freaking love that. Hooray for us differently mental people!
                              ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Working...
                              X