This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take your politics out of my store

I'm not trying to start a political debate. I'm just irritated with the janitor that just left.

One of my regulars who buys a Coke and an Almond Joy every evening. He comes in and starts talking about how the fake million dollar bill on my counter would only be worth $1000 if it were foreign currency from certain countries. He starts to talk about the strength of the Dollar and how other countries base their currency's strength off of ours.

I offer up that the Euro is stronger than the Dollar right now. He asks me why that is, and I just shrug. I have my opinions, but they don't have their place in my store.

I guess my silence and non-commital shrug mean that the guy gets to fill me in on his opinion. Which consists of how everyone hates Bush, and how all the other countries hate Bush and how Condoleeza knew about 9/11 before it happened, and could have done something about it (Uhm...what?) and how all these people in the government knew about it, but didn't do anything and how Gore would have been a better President.

-=sigh=- I finally just walked away and started gathering trash. Instead of getting the hint, he follows me to the back room! I tell him I need to get back to work now and he offers to take the trash from me. Which gives him the chance to start ranting more about "towel heads" and the like. Finally, I just ask him to go. Grr. All this from the gag Million Dollar Bills on my counter.

You are far more patient than I ever could hope to be. I'd have let him get about halfway into his Radical warpath rant and then cut him off with a loud 'Shut UP!'.
    "Respect: to admit that something one may not enjoy or prefer might still have great value." ~L. Munoa

Comment

this is why I never comment when customers make any kind of political observation. i refuse to get caught in some kind of debate or encourage a rant when i'm on the clock. for one, i have work to do, and besides, it's not appropriate for the workplace...

i have had similar problems when controversial political books would sell out and people would accuse us of "censoring" ... no, we SOLD them!! grr.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
        how Condoleeza knew about 9/11 before it happened, and could have done something about it (Uhm...what?) and how all these people in the government knew about it, but didn't do anything
        It's a fairly common conspiracy theory. You'll find them around most major political events. Especially assasinations. And disasters that can't be blamed on nature/god.

Oh, there's a scary thought... seeing what sort of odd theories would pop up if we had an assasination of any major US political figure right now.

Comment

Quoth JetfireRules View Post
          Fenig, I hope to hell that you aren't working anywhere near LoDo or Downtown Denver proper next summer, with the Democratic National Convention coming to town.
          That's nothing. We have the Republican National Convention next year. Ya know what the city of St. Paul spent over 3 months doing (besides wasting time)? Coming up with plans to make sure *out of state* protestor rights are protected, all the while, the number of murders and violent crimes has risen 3-fold against St. Paul's own citizens because of cuts in funding and lenient enforcement of our current laws. Wouldn't you think they would want to protect their own taxpayers first?
          Last edited by Ree; 07-10-2007, 09:53 PM.
          "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
            Which consists of how everyone hates Bush, and how all the other countries hate Bush
            Who, with an IQ over five doesn't?

how Gore would have been a better President.
            You mean he's not? I've been referring to him as the President-in-Exile.
            Last edited by Ree; 07-10-2007, 09:53 PM.

Comment

my favourite along these lines is I was hanving a perfectly sane conversation with someone and he started going off...
              People of other races shouldn't marry each other, after all a tiger and a goat don't mate...
              and similar 'insights'
              I was stuck there for fifteen minutes.
              I also liked the 'no immigrants!' people. The fact that england is a country of immigrants and invaders, not one of us is pure english, and I am, in fact, the granddaughter of an immigrant seems to miss them, a little.
              I do like quietly mentioning my grandmother immigrated into this country in the 30's.
              Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Quoth JetfireRules View Post
                Fenig, I hope to hell that you aren't working anywhere near LoDo or Downtown Denver proper next summer, with the Democratic National Convention coming to town. I shudder to think of what kind of hijinks we have in store for us in August of '08.
                All I'm asking is that nobody considers my state a swing state next presidential election... and especially not that I'm in "THE" swing state next time.

I drive for a living. I couldn't move without being delayed over a presidential hopeful.
                Last edited by Ree; 07-10-2007, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Quoth Tria View Post
                  Who, with an IQ over five doesn't?

I'm not getting into politics, but that is a bit offensive. I don't hate Bush, and in fact I wouldn't even rank him in my top 5 worst presidents list. The implication that because I don't hate Bush I must be braindead is quite the radical generalization.
                  Last edited by Ree; 07-10-2007, 09:54 PM.
                  The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
                    People of other races shouldn't marry each other, after all a tiger and a goat don't mate...
                    Tigers and goats are different species, sir, people of different races are different races, but the same species. Your analogy is worthless. Perhaps if you said something more like: Wolf Spiders and Black Widows don't mate, that would fit the analogy. However, I don't believe that's true.
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
                      I'm not getting into politics, but that is a bit offensive. I don't hate Bush, and in fact I wouldn't even rank him in my top 5 worst presidents list. The implication that because I don't hate Bush I must be braindead is quite the radical generalization.
                      If the truth hurts....
                      Last edited by Ree; 07-10-2007, 09:55 PM.

Comment

When I worked in outpatient surgury, I sometimes resorted to starting political arguments with patients in order to get their blood pressure up enough to get rid of them, LOL.

And put me down as someone who doesn't hate Bush. He's not the best president this country has ever had, but he's certainly not the worse. By far.
                        Last edited by Ree; 07-10-2007, 09:55 PM.
                        What a wonderful thing humanity is-- passionate, intelligent, inquisitive, generous, fully of hope and joy, noble of spirit, and above all... delicious! -- LaCroix

Comment

Quoth Tria View Post
                          If the truth hurts....
                          Ok, that's insulting and inviting a flame war. This is supposed to be a supportive and friendly board. We can disagree with each other and discuss stuff without being insulting.
                          What a wonderful thing humanity is-- passionate, intelligent, inquisitive, generous, fully of hope and joy, noble of spirit, and above all... delicious! -- LaCroix

Comment

Let's not turn this into a political debate, OK? This was about one sucky customer who couldn't keep his mouth shut.
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

In my shop, your ability to cram your political/socio-religious beliefs down my throat are inversly affected by the amount of money that I will be able to fleece you out of. If it will be a large enough order then you can tell me that [major national incident, don't want to state any and be offensive] was a conspiracy handed down by the Clippers and the Mafia working together for all I care. Otherwise I play by the you don't spout your rederic and I won't spout mine philosphy. Politically I'm very conservitive and don't seem to fit the norm anymore, but that doesn't mean that I like sharing that with folks.
                              My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Working...
                              X