This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's because I'm...

Today, this dude's here looking at cases and finally he stops at one he likes. We start discussing the price and then it goes down hill from there:

SC: So how much is it?
    Me: After tax it's going to be about $32.
    SC: Damn, that's expensive. Is this your case?
    Me: No, it's the store's demo.
    SC: Why don't you just give it to me?
    Me: How bout I don't? I'm not going to lose money cause you want a free case.
    SC: Why won't you give it to me? It's because I'm black right?
    Me: No, I don't want it to come out of my paycheck.
    SC: I knew it, you hatin' on a brother! If I was some asian dude you'd give it to me!
    Me: Yes, you caught me; except I only let affluent mexicans steal from my store. Now if you don't mind I'll take my case back and help these customers who are actually here to buy something.

He storms off, cursing at me cause I wouldn't give him a freebie and calling me racist. What's with these people today
    Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

If you were black, he'll call you "Uncle Tom" for not giving him the case. You can't win with those type of people. I personally couldn't care what color you are, you want a handout go to the Salvation Army.
    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

I wonder what would happen if you reversed the race card, would it cause their brains to explode?

Quoth toolbert
      SC: Why won't you give it to me? It's because I'm black right?
      Employee: Your calling me racist because Im Asian ar'nt you?!

sigh keeping the upper moral ground is not as fun......
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

It's like dealing those who say opponents of illegal immigration are racist: "Okay, you got me. If only we had an influx of people who looked like me, I'd be thrilled with the attendant inefficiencies instead of wanting to help other countries--how did you know?"
        I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

Quoth toolbert
          SC: I knew it, you hatin' on a brother! If I was some asian dude you'd give it to me!
          And if you only sold the case to Asian's you'd still be racist. Sooo...Sucky Customer, think of it not as "hatin' on a brother", think of it instead as "hatin' on a scammer"

Or something like that...
          I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron
            And if you only sold the case to Asian's you'd still be racist. Sooo...Sucky Customer, think of it not as "hatin' on a brother", think of it instead as "hatin' on a scammer"
            More like hating on someone who doesn't give a darn whether you get in trouble or lose money because of them.

You know what gets me? I bet this has worked a couple of times for this guy. Why else would he have tried it?

Comment

I used to joke around with one of the black guys at the store. We had the same nose, so he told everyone we were cousins. If I wouldn't let him do something, or if I sent one of his jobs back, he's grump and grouse and say "Why are you doing this to me?" And I just say "Because you're black." The look on customer's faces who overheard that little exchange was usually priceless.

On a heavier note, we had this black guy come in and pull that EXACT SAME stunt...wanted free crap for no reason, and when my coworker (who happened to be a white, straight-edge punk and a totally sweet, good person) refused, he got called a racist. He was livid.

However, the absolute most livid person in the store was one of the black guys who worked there. He went absolutely postal when the punk told him what had happened later. He was ranting to me about it, saying he wished like hell it had been him that had gotten that customer. I told him "Look, if it had been you, the incident would not have happened. " "Oh, YES, it would have!" he railed. "Except I would have gotten called an Uncle Tom! He would have appealed to me as a 'brother', tried to scam me, I would have told him to f#$k off, and then he would have called me an Uncle Tom and a traitor!"

Man, he was hot about that. I have to think people who would try and pull a stunt like that really do not believe in their hearts that racism exsists. If they did, they wouldn't trivialize it by crying racism every time they didn't get their way, no matter how unreasonable. "I deserve free stuff because I am (insert minority of choice here)!" How stupid and short sighted is that?

Comment

What does and uncle tom mean?
                I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Kiwi
                  What does and uncle tom mean?
                  It is a reference to a novel written by Harriet Beecher Stowe "Uncle Tom's Cabin." From what I remember, Uncle Tom was a slave and he was very well liked by all. (here's the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom%27s_Cabin).

I believe that the remark is supposed to be an insult referring to a black person selling out his/her people by not going against authority as many perceive Uncle Tom doing in the novel. Tom was a hard working man and basically did what his master asked of him. It is really an interesting book but it has been at least 10 years since I have read it last so my memory is a bit foggy. Please correct me if I'm wrong in my interpretation.
                  Last edited by Comp_geek; 08-05-2006, 06:02 AM.
                  "They have the internet on computers now?"
                  ~Homer Simpson

Another day at work, another broken desk

Comment

A black man who is considered to be excessively obidient.
                    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

It's an insult used on a black person usually by another black person. The SC calling my co worker an Uncle Tom would have been suggesting that my co worked actually owed him (the SC) something because they were both black, but because he was taking the side of the the white guy, he was trying to curry favor with whites.

My co worker happened to be a man who did not appreciate other black folks walking in and trying to get him to give them free stuff just because he was black also. In fact, it was a surefire way to get him pissed off and steaming for hours.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid
                        "Because you're black." The look on customer's faces who overheard that little exchange was usually priceless.
                        One of my co-workers took it further; when asked by management what title he thought he should have on his business card, he offered "N_____ Slave." (Maybe it's a good thing he didn't work at a place where such things could easily be printed!)
                        Quoth RecoveringKinkoid
                        ...people who would try and pull a stunt like that really do not believe in their hearts that racism exsists. If they did, they wouldn't trivialize it
                        That's what more people should think of when they hear such charges.
                        I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

A colleague of mine - since departed - was of Jamaican ancestry, and he was asking me who needed him, since they were a new hire. He wanted me to describe him. "I don't know - all these white people look the same to me," I replied.

He had a moment of pure stunned amazement, but eventually laughed his head off.

The Uncle Tom insult is approximately similar to the 'coconut' insult over here - dark on the outside but white inside. Make you wonder who is perpetuating racism.

Rapscallion

Comment

My usual comment to these kinds of people who use their colour/religion/etc as blackmail is...

"I couldn't actually care less what colour/religion you are."

Which is true. In a book I'm writing for a competition, two of the main characters are black and proud of it (one African, one Moorish Basque), and I'm DELIBERATELY ignoring this crap and not putting in anything that makes these people hard to talk to because of their gorgeous colouration.
                            "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                              The Uncle Tom insult is approximately similar to the 'coconut' insult over here - dark on the outside but white inside.
                              I've also heard "oreo" used in the same way.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X