This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
    yeah well i learn the hard way some banks wont accept checks until the post date, especially before a holiday.
    I was broke on the 4th because of this (farking ex job and the getting payed on the 5th!!! They always give us our checks on the 2nd or 3rd and then we cant cash it!!)
    Actually, if you were able to cash your check before the date, your company would be liable for a whole host of things that are factored based on the date the check is supposed to be given out. I only know this because my company will sometimes give checks out a day early if we don't work that Wednesday (our payday) with dire warnings about not trying to cash them early.

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
    Over here, cheque books are issued by the banks and ONLY by the banks.

Do you pay for your chequebook if you just get an ordinary one from the bank?

My bank automatically sends me a new chequebook as soon as i reach the last few cheques in an old book. I don't pay for it, I don't get to choose the design.

Doesn't having custom designs on cheques and cheques that are not issued directly by the bank increase the risk of cheque fraud?
    I think that most banks make you pay for your checks. I do know that I would have to request new ones when I was running low, but that is because they don't know if I have checks or not. And what defines "running low?" For me, running low would be having only 2 checks left. For some people, anything less than, say, 20 would be running low.

As for check fraud, being able to have designs really doesn't make it any more or less. Especially when you consider that the favorite thing to forge right now are cashiers checks, which are supposed to be the last haven for guaranteed promissory notes. The really important parts of the check are the name, the routing information, and the signature. Most of the rest of it is all just filler.

As for why a person would want to buy a checkbook rather than getting one from their bank? Individuality. My last checkbooks had cute endangered animal babies on them. If I could have found them again this time around, I would have gone with a pawprint theme, but since I couldn't I went with pink camo, partially inspired by GK, but mostly because I'm just like that.

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
    Not neccessarily. When I opened my last bank account, the bank told me that their numbers started at 001. So I tried to ordersome checks online from some thing from the coupon section. Plus a couple others. Not one of them would let me choose the number my checks would start at.
    That's likely a restriction by your bank. They probably have to have a contract with your bank to be able to print checks that work with them, and your bank has decreed that you're not allowed to choose your starting number. I think it's lame of your bank, but that's what you've got.

^-.-^
    Last edited by Andara Bledin; 07-27-2007, 04:35 PM.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

After all that, I went back to my bank, talked to them, and they were able to get my checks started at 1500 or something.

Too bad it took them 5 tries to get my address right. And still never managed to accomplish that.
      I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Designer checks aren't too big a deal as far as forgeries go. If you're any kind of grocery store office person (like me! ), you know exactly what to look for, and it has little to do with the background of a check. For instance, if it's perforated on more than one side, someone clearly just printed out a sheet full of fake checks. The problem is the cashiers that don't know any better, but our check policy is already so strict there's nothing much else we can do about that. And it is understandable when they don't know any better.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
          That is why simply post-dating a check will not guarantee that the check will not be cashed before the date on the check.

If you write "Void Before" above the date you put on the check (and put your initials near this) and it is cashed before the date, you are (supposedly) not libel for any charges for overdrafts.
          Writing a post dated check is a form of fraud. No matter what is written by the date. Most proof operators are supposed to look for wording like that and the bank/company gets charged for accepting that check if found.

Comment

Working...
          X