This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I Hear....

the word siding glass door one more time I will scream bloody murder. It's a door like anything else, just as safe, pull the curtain just as private. It is not worthy of a 45 minutes conversation. I'm sorry the person that made the reservations did not take into account your fear of sliding glass doors. Yes the joke about "Do I Have To Pay More For A Real Door" was funny the first time you said it, you know five jokes ago. You act as if you have never seen a sliding glass door before for gosh sake. Get over it.

Sorry venty, these people wouldn't let up on the issue if they weren't bringing it up to me, they were loudly discussing it outside their rooms.
    My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Put your hand up if you don't get it! *puts hand up*
    'Our brightest days are yet to shine'
    'You see the depths of my heart, and You love me the same'

Comment

Maybe they're afraid a thief will pull a daring daylight robbery by using glass cutters to break into their room and steal their gaudy vacation clothing!

Or maybe they're afraid during a drunken fight, they're going to be thrown head first through that glass, and get cut up! *gasp*

Or soundproofing issues? If it's that one, they're really stupid, as since glass sliding doors fit into the track, I find they're usually better at keeping sound out than plywood-wannabe doors.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
        the word siding glass door one more time I will scream bloody murder. It's a door like anything else, just as safe, pull the curtain just as private. It is not worthy of a 45 minutes conversation.
        Actually, if you don't have a solid locking latch, a locking pin, or a brace on them to keep them from being moved back out of the closed housing, sliding doors and windows are incredibly insecure.

I know that the few times I was locked out of one particular house that was all sliding windows, all I ever had to do was push a window open about 1/4 inch and then lift it up out of the track and voila, easy entry.

That also makes them really easy to clean, when you can pull them out, prop them up, then clean both sides before popping them back in. The ex and I were on window duty every spring cleaning, so he'd do the sliding ones inside where he'd be less likely to break anything, and I'd hang out the opening to get the fixed ones.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

"Sliding Glass Door"...hee!hee!..(runs away and is now hiding) Sorry I could not resist the temptation.
          Last edited by jnd4rusty; 07-27-2007, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            Actually, if you don't have a solid locking latch, a locking pin, or a brace on them to keep them from being moved back out of the closed housing, sliding doors and windows are incredibly insecure.

^-.-^

Actually we have built in security bars (is that what you call them?) that you can lower to pin the door against the latch. If we didn't have those though I believe we'd have more people freaking out about them.
            My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

I know what Andara means. The old house my mum used to rent had a sliding glass door. The way it latched was so the hook aimed down. What this meant, was that if you lifted it up, and moved it to the right spot, then lowered it, you could cause the latch to 'unlock'. Good for if I was locked out by mistake.. but bad for security.
              3 Basic rules for ordering food.
              - Order from the menu.
              - If you order something that will take some time to cook, then be prepared to wait.
              - Don't talk about Fight Club.

Comment

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
                Actually we have built in security bars (is that what you call them?) that you can lower to pin the door against the latch. If we didn't have those though I believe we'd have more people freaking out about them.
                Those are ok, although they can be annoying and they can get lost, and if they get damaged, they become completely useless. The hook latches are the worst and easiest to defeat as mentioned above unless you use other measures as well.

The best are the pins that go through the metal of both the inner frame and the door itself to hold it closed. Those are damn near impossible to defeat from outside.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

My grandfather has a sliding glass door, never had any problems with that, except I think one time the cat (or.. maybe me) walked into it once.

I do, however, have the urge to watch Ace Ventura: Pet Detective again. "Ahhhhh ..... Ahhhhh ..... Ahhhhh"
                  "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

I've worked for two window & door manufactureres in the past. Both of them sold/made sliding doors with sophisticated anti-lift mechanisms, so that you couldn't just lift the door and gain entry. Of course they were very expensive.
                    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

The most memorable event I ever had regarding a sliding glass door involved my aunt's dog.

She had a shorthair mostly-keeshond who was so solid she could knock a 250 lb guy down by running into his legs, highly excitable, and not the brightest star in the sky.

One day she was running from the front yard, making a beeline to get to the back yard. She was an outdoorsy dog and liked having the sky above her so she could bark at the planes and the Goodyear blimp (which flew over that area regularly). She's about 20 feet from the door when something distracts her and she turns her head to look. But she keeps running full tilt. And the door was closed.

So she slams into the sliding glass door, bounces off, looks at it in comprehension, shakes herself, then trots over to whoever it was she had been looking at when she hit.

The door itself ended up with a huge 4-foot diagonal crack from the impact. Beyond the one look at the door, the dog never really noticed.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                      X