This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customers that drop off their crap and leave the line

I had this happen to me on the self-scan at the local Kroeger's. Three stations are being used, one is empty with a basket of groceries left behind. I stand there for half a minute, get tired of waiting, so I go to the unoccupied one to start scanning my crap when the supervising cashier in charge rudely piped up and told me that someone was using it. I just gave her a "WTF!" look, shook my head and went back. The woman came back for her crap as soon as I stepped back and finished up. Are cashiers supposed to "reserve a spot" and force other paying customers to wait if some inconsiderate ass decides that he/she wants to drop off their crap and then go out and finish their shopping???? Personally I find it rude and disrespectful to the other people waiting in line.

Needless to say I wrote the manager an angry letter about this and haven't heard back yet.

I think it's really obnoxious, both on the part of the customer expecting the till to be left open for their return, and on the part of the cashier, though he/she may have been bullied into it. (I wasn't there, obviously, so I don't know who's idea it was).

Good on you for writing to management, I hope you get a response.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I've had customers leave something by the till and go back to get something else (dammit, use a shopping cart, that's what they're there for!), but whenever possible I tend to just put the things aside and let other people through.

...unless I started to ring them up. Then I need a MOD to make a void, grrr.
      "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Quoth Bloodsoul View Post
        I've had customers leave something by the till and go back to get something else (dammit, use a shopping cart, that's what they're there for!), but whenever possible I tend to just put the things aside and let other people through.

...unless I started to ring them up. Then I need a MOD to make a void, grrr.
        I ring their stuff through, bag it, save the order, and start on the next customer -- when they come back, I make them go to the front desk to finish scanning the junk they just brought up/pay. Doubles their wait time.

Some have actually learned.
        Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

I hate when people do that!

Comment

This reminds me of an SC I had. It was a pretty busy saturday so the tills were quite busy when this 'lady' put her trolly next to my till and wandered off to the frezzer section that was next to my till.

I thought it was kinda rude she didn't tell me she was getting something, but it wasn't a big deal and I went back to serving my current customer. After I was done with that she still hadn't come back and people are begining to come over to my till, but then they spot the trolly and move away.

I'm getting annoyed at this point and I'm watching her take her dear sweet time walking up and down the frezzer section then she wanders completly out of sight! She wasn't running off to get a few items, she's doing a whole new shop!

That was it for me, I jumped off my seat and walk round and shove her trolly at the end of me till where it's not in anyone's way and people can place their shopping on my till wy ease. Which they promptly do.

A little while later I look up just in time to see the lady arrive back at her trolly and see her send a glare in my direction. Me? I just smirk as she goes off in a huff.
            "Honestly officer, he asked for a shot and I gave him one. Why do you need the handcuffs?" - MannersMakethMan

Comment

When people do that, I don't hesitate to put their stuff back in their cart and push the cart aside. When they come back and get mad, I just tell them it's against the rules for me to ring someone up without them being there, because if a price was wrong or too high, they couldn't ask for me to void it and set it aside. Usually I get a "thank you" after I tell them this. It looks like I'm trying to help them, when really I'm helping everyone... but mostly myself!

Try that line next time, guys. It works most of the time.
              "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

Comment

Working...
              X