This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARGGGGH In my day...

So, one night we were really busy cleaning theatres and stuff. We were all running around trying to get stuff done and couldn't really afford to get sidetracked even if we had duties to do on top of cleaning stuff.

As luck would have it, I was the show checker for the night. A showchecker is just the usher who they designate to check the theatres for temperature, sound quality, picture clarity and to make sure people are being quiet.

So we get a call over the radio that someone had complained about the sound cutting out on Letters from Iwo Jima................45 minutes ago.

Why they only complained about it now I have no idea. But I knew that I was going to be in deep shit unless I got in there. So I go in and the exchange goes like this (not verbaitum)

OF: Old Fart
    Me: The hero

Me: Excuse me folks, we're going to have to shut down the movie for a few minutes to do some maint.....

OF: This is ridiculous, the sound has been out for (insert X amount of time) , FIX IT!

Me: (a little pissed at this point): I'm not qualified to fix it sir.

OF: Then get someone who can!

Me: Like I said...

OF: Get someone to fix the picture.

Me: Sir, would you like me to get a manager?

OF: Get someone who can fix this picture

Me: Sir I am not qualified to fix the projector, I can get a manager if you'd like but Etc.... you get the idea.

OF: In my day a problem like this would have been fixed immediatly.

Groan. Not the old trip down memory freaking lane. I'm trying to help this coot and he's giving me this attitude.

Me: Things will be up working soon, just sit tight.

And I walk out of the theatre so I don't have to listen to the guy anymore. I tell my coworkers what had happened and they all understand due to us busting our asses to get stuff done. Then they guy actually comes out to complain some more, repeats himself. I just let one of the head ushers get it cause I don't want to deal with the guy anymore.

OF: In my day people wouldn't be lazy and things wouldn't have been left like this. They would have been fixed immiediatly.
    And then he just walks off down the hall.

What I wanted to say was: Well you're not in your day anymore. You're in mine, and things work a bit differently, deal?

Shit happens but the guy didn't have to be a dick about it.

Another story.

Had a short black out earlier this summer (hey it was hot) So I'm booking it to each theatreto make an anouncment on the situation and that they movie (s) will be up and running soon. As I'm doing this one guy comes out of a theatre, pissed.

Dude: I WANT A REFUND, NOW!

Are you kidding me? We have a blackout and you want a refund for that?

Me: Uh, just a sec okay, I have to talk to all these other people.
    With that said I duck into another theatre. Prick.
    Screw normal. You know why? 'Cause if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader.

Christopher Titus.
Working...
X