This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All your webkiz are belong to me

I'm sorry if someone has already complained about this. I'm new and I just need to rant. (Sorry if I offend anyone who works at GANZ, I'm sure GANZ's tech support is annoyed at Webkinz customers too)

I've worked at a specialty toy store for a little over a year now. For the first six months, the customers we've gotten were actually pretty awesome. They were always polite, happy to wait for us to finish with one customer before could help them, ect....

Then http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebkinzWebkinz(tm) became popular.

Anyone who worked at a Hallmark, Just Ducky, or any other specialty store will probably know what I'm taking about. These things are TY Beanie Babies and Tamagotchi combined with the popularity of Cabbage Patch Kids. These little guys have the ability to make generally nice customers into SC in under 5 words flat.

"Do you have webkizs?"

I get bombarded with phone calls each day asking if we have webkinz that GANZ hasn't released yet. I oftentimes get stuck on the phone switching from lines 1 and 2 answering the same friggen question.

And these kids suddenly have lost all abilities to accept simple requests. Example:

Me: We're having a great day at [store name], this is [my name] how can I help you?
    SC: Do you have webkinzs?
    Me: Yes, we have several. Is there a particular one you are looking for?
    SC: No, can you just list off what you have?

Ok, most co-workers will inform the SC that they will only let them ask for three webkinz and we'll let them know if we have it. They do this because (by Murphy's Law) by this point, the other line is ringing and we need to finish this call so we can pick up the other line. (We only have one phone, we're a small store)

But me, trying to be helpful and all, I have a list in my pocket with all the webkinz we have.

Me: Alright, we have the Pig, Cow, Black Bear, Lion, Elephant, Hippo, Golden Retriever, Cocker Spaniel, Black and White Cat, Yellow Cat, Unicorn, Monkey, Poodle, Rabbit, Frog, Bull Frog, Tree Frog, Spotted Frog, Tiger, Chihuahua, Gorilla, Pegasus, Pug, Terrier, Pink Poodle, White Poodle, Cheeky Monkey, Yorkie, Panda, Google, Polar Bear, Pink Pony, Persian Cat, Black Lab, Leopard, Bull Dog, Koala, and Dalmatian. We also have most of those in Littlekinz.*

*I pride myself with being able to do that in one breath.

SC: Do you have the Halloween Black Cat?
    Me in my head: What the hell! #%$@ you!
    Me: No, I'm afraid won't get that until near Halloween.

Very similar things happen when these kids come into our store. They don't bother to look at what we have, they always come to the desk and ask us first.

SC: Do you have the Husky?
    Me: No, we've been having a difficult time trying to get it.
    SC: Do you have the Reindeer?
    Me: No, that doesn't come out until Christmas.
    SC: Do you have Webkinz cards?
    Me: Your elbow is on them....**
    **Absolutely true. Its happened a few times.

This happens about once every 12 minutes each and every day! These kids now know our shipping schedules so every friggen day at 11:00 a.m. we get a billion calls asking if webkinz are in yet.

Then, GANZ had to release information about their new Charms a friggen month before they put them into production! Now we get calls about those!

Our entire display of Charms (when we finally got them) was emptied in under an hour. The poor girl who had to setup the display got swamped as we was carrying it to the floor. She just set it down where she was standing and then took it away when it was cleaned out.

Screw procreation. I don't want kids anymore.
    Caution: Misspellings after Midnight

Fads bring out all the crazies.

Remember the height of the beanie baby craze when grown adults were actually coming to blows over these things?

I'll admit that I hadn't heard of webkinz until just now. Am I really that out of the loop?

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
      I'll admit that I hadn't heard of webkinz until just now. Am I really that out of the loop?
      Nah - just have a sense of taste instead.

Rapscallion (remembering cabbage patch dolls with horror)

Comment

Consider yourself lucky. If your kid doens't know about webkinz, keep it that way.

While I wasn't around for the Cabbage Patch craze, the co-workers who are moms all say this is just as bad.
        Caution: Misspellings after Midnight

Comment

Quoth AliasWeird View Post
          Our entire display of Charms (when we finally got them) was emptied in under an hour. The poor girl who had to setup the display got swamped as we was carrying it to the floor. She just set it down where she was standing and then took it away when it was cleaned out.

Screw procreation. I don't want kids anymore.
          You could have done what I made players do at the Regionals tournament I judged. At the end of the night, the prize winners (all 80 of them) freaking swarmed the organizer handing out product. I got on the mic and told them to form a line. I promised they would get prizes, but for the love of Gord, do what you learned in kindergarten and form a freaking queue so our beloved organizer doesn't accidentally give your prize to someone else!

Or make everyone stand back and give her a chance to put the display up before mobbing the place.
          A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

It looks like Neopets in reverse to me.

They are cute stuffed animals. But not THAT cute.

Now, if they had a little stuffed Rey Mysterio...
            "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
              Fads bring out all the crazies.

Remember the height of the beanie baby craze when grown adults were actually coming to blows over these things?
              There was worse - there were people who got sent to jail for counterfeiting Beanie Babies. I mean, imagine this:

CONVICT 1: I'm in here for killing 2 cops!

CONVICT 2: I'm in here for taking a hammer to someone who wouldn't give me any money!

CONVICT 3: I'm in here for counterfeiting Beanie Babies...

CONVICTS 1 & 2: UP AGAINST THE WALL!!!

That would have to suck, wouldn't it?
              Experience is knowing how not to get your teeth kicked in - again. -- The Freethinker

"And that... entitles you to no mercy at all, no matter what." -- from Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

Comment

Oh Fuck...

Found out today we are going to be carrying those dumb-ass things.

Should make for an interesting holiday shopping season, assuming Webkinz are still the hot fad at that time.

Note to self: Stay the hell out of the toy section for the forseeable future.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post

Rapscallion (remembering cabbage patch dolls with horror)
                  Argh! Remembering the woman who returned a cabbage patch doll because it had no birth certificate!
                  "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Oh great, another pointless toy fad where parents come to blows over these things.

*Makes mental note to do grocery shopping at Mejier's in the morning or at night.
                    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

.... whats a google???
                      And i want a pug!!! and a unicorn!!! and a plar bear!! and i should mention i have a stuffed animal problem...

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                        Argh! Remembering the woman who returned a cabbage patch doll because it had no birth certificate!
                        Heehee, two years ago my mamie found the birth certificate of my cabbage patch doll...
                        Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

The first I ever heard of Webkinz was a sign in a store window that I pass on my way to work. It's a handmade sign that says "We have Webkinz!" and I thought, "What the hell are Webkinz?"

Oh, yeah, the store? It's Rick's Saddle Shop...

Ooh, there's a chihuahua?!
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Oh, that explains the stuffed animal in the $$$ game kit!

OK, a few weeks ago, I get a prize kit for one of our high-value-prize games. In the same kit there were digital cameras, mp3 players, Playstation 3 games, and the like. I was trying to figure out why anyone would put a stuffed animal-- typical wholesale cost about 1/15th the cost of each item in the kit.

Cabbage Patch, Tamagoochi, Beanie Babies... don't people learn?

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
                              Heehee, two years ago my mamie found the birth certificate of my cabbage patch doll...
                              I heard the story once of a kid who's cabbage patch doll got chewed up by the family dog. They sent it to the factory (I assume to see if it could be fixed). The factory sent back a death certificate.

Comment

Working...
                              X