This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke Alarm Daze(long)

HauntedheadNC said I should tell this story.

This happened to my dad. But he told me in very specific detail about the whole incident. It's been at least 10 years, but its still fresh in my mind.

I was about 15 or 16 at the time.

My dad was a live-in manager at the local "Econo-Lodge" motel. He had his own living area near the front desk. It is a small apartment basically. Being a live-in manager, this meant he was on call 24-7. Any little problem arose, and he had to go running.

Well at the time the motel was pretty booked up.

In one room the were a husband, wife, and two younger boys. Approx 11 or 12. Also this is the room in the story. The parent went across the street to get some dinner while the kids stayed and watched movies.

(Round 1)
    This day my dad was called by a guest to complain that a smoke alarm in an adjoining room was going off. My dad went up to the room to check on it, make sure everthing was alright. When he knocked on the door, the two kids opened it.
    DAD - "Is there anything wrong?"
    Kids - "No, why?"
    DAD - "Your smoke alarm is going off, is there a fire?"
    Kids - "Uhh, no. Our parents just left and they were smoking in here."

So my dad went in a reset the alarm and left. He was a little suspicious of them, as they were acting a little nervous, but gave them the benefit of the doubt.

(Round 2)
    About thirty minutes later he gets another complaint from guest saying the smoke alarm is going off again.
    He goes back to said room.
    DAD - "Are you sure there's nothing going on?"
    Kids - "No, it just started going off on its own."
    DAD - "Ok, I'll fix it again."
    Obviously there were no signs of a fire or smoke. But the alarm was going off.

(Round 3)
    Customers are pissed because its going off again. This time its only been about fifteen minutes.
    DAD - "OK fellas, whats going on up here?"
    Kids - "Nothing, we swear."
    DAD - "This is the third time I've been called about this."
    Kids - "We swear it keeps going off on its own."

(Last Round)
    Well my dad decided to try to catch them in the act. Whatever act that is. Before he left he slowly slid open on of the curtains about half a foot, enough to see inside. He pretended to walk off.

He waited a minute then slowly looked in the window. He saw what had been setting it off.

They were "Blue Flaming"

He knocked on the door.
    They must have jumped to the ceiling.
    He told them he saw what they were doing, and if they set off the alarm again, he would kick the family out of the motel. (TKO) Not a big deal sometimes, but this was a busy season, and most other places were full.

This still makes me laugh out loud till this day.

He didn't work there too long. Being on site and on call 24/7 burns you out pretty quickly.

Con-Mon
    Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.

Thank you. That is all.

Now, if you'll excuse me...

And also,
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Working...
    X