This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pissy travel agent made my day

SCs, more often than not, amuse me way more than they annoy me. I'll say that with the understanding that I'm merely forgetting the numerous times I've seen red.

On my last shift, I was VERY entertained by this travel agent that called while I was checking in a guest. I can multi-task alright, so I went ahead and answered. First off, she asked if my manager was there. So much for the pleasentries. I asked her "which one", first off, as we have two owners and a manager. None of whom, of course, are going to be present on a regular afternoon shift, so I asked if I could take a message. She asked, instead, what non-smoking rooms we had available. Pretty full up, we were, so just our most basic room, which I, I'll admit, confusingly referred to as a "single double". One bed of a double size, I clarified.

SC: Alright, we'll take that and stick a king in there.
    Me: ...? I beg your pardon? No, ma'am, it's just a double.

She said she was looking at our rates, and wanted the "$49.99" rate. I explained to her that that was our coupon rate, and is not available for reservation. I would like to mention that she sends "thousands of dollars of buisness" to our hotel and that our owner "calls her personally" when he needs something. Like hell, but these claims were interspersed throughout this conversation. She really, really wanted that coupon rate. Because she's a "very good travel agent" and wants to give her customers the very best rate. The room itself was only five dollars more sold regularly. If she was any sort of cooperative person, we would've knocked a percentage off, even though we would've been able to rent it at-price (which we later did). So take my polite yet firm intonation of "I'm sorry, ma'am, but that's our coupon rate, which is for walk-ins only." and rinse/repete, since aside from appeals to authority and threatening the removal of her very crucial buisness, her argument style was "I'm not listening to a damn thing you say".

I kid you not, I had at least three instances of this:

Me: "I'm sorry, ma'am, but that's our coupon rate, which is for walk-ins only."
    SC: "So we'll set that up for the $49.99 rate, then."
    Me: "...No, ma'am... that's our coupon rate."

I eventually stuck her on hold and ignored her until I was done with the customers. Emmy, my exquisitely soft-spoken and polite middle-aged coworker, picked up and had the exact same conversation, except that since we had no more guests in the lobby, she made faces at me over the phone, covered the mouthpiece to agree when I muttered that she was so full of shit, and eventually just hung up on her. This lady took Emmy's name, threatened that our boss was going to be SO UPSET with us, she was never booking people with us again.

Seriously, she made my day. I was entertained throughout the rest of the shift.

---one last note about that shift: A lady came in, wanting to pay for the stay of one of our guests. The guest's name: Leroy Brown. Baddest man in the whole damn town...

I jut love th customers who fell they are entitled to what ever they want, regardless of policies. Those entertain me, the assholes don't.

Comment

Quoth MinimaMagistra View Post
      ---one last note about that shift: A lady came in, wanting to pay for the stay of one of our guests. The guest's name: Leroy Brown. Baddest man in the whole damn town...
      Was he bigger than ol' King Kong? Meaner than a junkyard dog?

Comment

Quoth The Scaly Bard View Post
        Was he bigger than ol' King Kong? Meaner than a junkyard dog?
        And when he did his drinkin', did he then get to fightin'?
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Ugh.. my wife and I used to have jobs where we had to deal with TAs all day every day. Some are very nice. The majority suck ass.
          I will never go to school!

Comment

SCs, more often than not, amuse me way more than they annoy me. I'll say that with the understanding that I'm merely forgetting the numerous times I've seen red.
            It's kinda like childbirth...once it's over you forget all about the pain (or so I'm told...I don't have kids)
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BaristaTrav View Post
              Ugh.. my wife and I used to have jobs where we had to deal with TAs all day every day. Some are very nice. The majority suck ass.

I'm a travel agent. Just like any other profession, there are always a few bad ones.

Please don't assume that most of us suck.

I can assure you that I don't.
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Please accept my heartfelt apologies on behalf of decent TA's everywhere. She should rot in hell.

Dumb biotch
                Last edited by MadMike; 09-05-2007, 12:44 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire original post. We've already read it.
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I would have told her to have the owner call me and (at that time) I'd be glad to give her whatever rate the owner agrees to.
                  "If ignorance is bliss, then I work in Heaven."

Comment

MM, I take great comfort in knowing that you are located in Sarasota FL, and not the south side of Chicago!

Mike
                    Meow.........

Comment

I forgot - after she hung up on her, Emmy and I were talking about the woman's threats and demands for a better rate. I said "Ten percent asshole gratuity." To which Emmy laughed, then looked around guiltily. Anybody remember where that came from? I don't recall which thread or threads, but I know it or something like it was from this site.

Comment

I've never had to deal with a bad travel agent like that. Most have been great, although a few have been relentless when they are trying to book one of their clients and we have no availability. You know, like you can magically pull a room out of your butt. A higher rate means a higher commission, so I've never had one haggle a rate with me.
                        Last edited by ajr1971; 09-05-2007, 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Not to pat myself on the back...well, I guess I am, but here goes:

I'm probably a hotelier's dream travel agent. I am polite and professional, but far from a stick-in-the-mud. If I've got a client on the phone with insane demands, I'll laugh right along with the hotel clerk about it. And, although I feel it to a much lesser extent than you guys, I know how it feels to be screamed at by some idiot who swears the hotels really 'holds back rooms' for last minute travelers.

Even when I worked on commission, I didn't act like that. I would hope one of my co-workers would knock me out of my chair if I ever did.

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                            I would hope one of my co-workers would knock me out of my chair if I ever did.
                            I can just imagine that scene...
                            "I want the room 500% off."
                            *linebacker in bright red comes charging through the office, and tackles you to the floor, grabs phone, apologizes for you, then runs off*
                            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth MinimaMagistra View Post
                              I forgot - after she hung up on her, Emmy and I were talking about the woman's threats and demands for a better rate. I said "Ten percent asshole gratuity." To which Emmy laughed, then looked around guiltily. Anybody remember where that came from? I don't recall which thread or threads, but I know it or something like it was from this site.
                              that particular "tax"/gratuity/tackon has been around (I believe ) as long as CS has been around (like 8 or 9 years now)
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X