This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Old Man

This is way too long a post for the reality of what happened.

So today, my boss called me up (while I was asleep) at 7-8 this morning. Hey, my co-worker J is sick, could I cover closing for her tonight? Yeah, yeah, alright, I'm not about to leave the closing crew in that kind of situation. Anybody who works in any kind of food place knows why. There's only two people who close the store, but the store can't be open with just one person running it, so if I hadn't come it, they would've had to close early and get in super-trouble. So, baristagirl to the rescue! (As I am the Warrior Barista, the other half of my job is to save TD in case of evil warlord attack.)

Quick re-cap for everybody who missed my Honeyman post: I work at popular coffee place X, hereon out to be referred to as TD (for reasons discussed in Honeyman).

You all know that when you're working and moving around, you get tired, uncomfortable, and frequently hot, so we generally keep our locations cool as far as the AC goes to keep baristas from dying. You might be freezing in the cafe but I swear to you, I am sweating behind the counter.

After co-worker boyC left, I was left working just with girlC. C and I get along well, and we've been getting along better and better the more we work together, which is good. I trust her judgement on things. So, when an elderly couple walk in, I listen to what she says about them under her breath to me, before they order anything. "The wife is really sweet, but the old man is a complete and total grouch."

The old woman orders a coffee, which we get for her, being as nice as we can, while the man waits in the cafe. She mentions it's a little cold in the place, so we turned it up a couple of degrees for her. She pays, is nice, (but leaves no tip,) and goes on her merry way. I serve another customer. The man seemingly waits in line, but begins to read a newspaper. When I'm done serving that customer, I wait patiently, smiling at the old man until he puts down the newspaper and walks out. Okay, fine, be that way, no big. I'd expected worse from him, so, small favors. But, clearly, this is not the end of my tale.

I proceed with a few minor cleaning errands and when I hear the door open again, I look up, and who is it but the old man. I meet him at the register with my trademark smile and ask him how I can help him today.

He enters into a rant. "I know you can't do anything about this, and I know it might not be your fault, but you really should talk to your manager, you're losing money, you're losing money through a business expense..." So he drags on for about a minute without really getting to a point.

I eventually try to speed him along. "What seems to be the problem? How are we 'losing money', exactly?"

"It's too cold in here. You're wasting money on air conditioning when it's too cold in here," at this point, C has come over to listen as well, as a line has formed behind him, "It's too cold in here, especially for us older folks. I have a condition that makes my fingers turn white when I'm too cold..." (Uhm, doesn't that happen to most people when they're cold? Is it really a 'condition' if it's just the human condition?)

Thankfully, C, who was my supervisor at the time, coaxes him into conversation with her, with a swift, "Actually, we just turned up the heat a couple of degrees before you came and spoke with us." I take the hint and begin offering help to the next customer in line. C gets him over to the far end of the counter, out of my way. I proceed helping customers. It takes C about 4-5 minutes to get him to leave, even after explaining that the employees need the cold or we overheat. Both of us were really hot at the time, and I was literally sweating.

Thankfully, after he left, the next customer said, "It's too cold in here," and as I replied with, "I'm pretty much dying," she assured us that it was a joke. XD She'd given me a minor heart attack, but it was still pretty funny.

Next time, I'll give the old guy the store number and tell him to bother my manager. My boss is cool, and would be totally okay shooting the old guy down about it. XD But when you're literally holding up the line to discuss that kind of issue with people you don't think have the authority to do anything about it anyway, then go away.

The only other person to complain about the temperature was a woman C and I later dubbed "The Bitter Woman," who bought a $200 coffee maker and some mugs, and was in manner and demeanor, incredibly bitter and rude.

The best part was, one of our regulars, (Nonfat Cappucino!,) a hairstylist from next door, came in to sit for about half an hour and bask in our AC. She told us that her boss hadn't turned on the AC at all that day, and the poor woman looked like she was dying. C and I both took turns telling her about Cold Old Man. XD She looked very refreshed by the time she went back to work. It was good.

I know, it doesn't sound like a big deal now, but it was very bothersome at the time... It's like, I wasn't supposed to be there anyway, it was C's 9th shift in a row without a day off, and the two of us have to put up with this crap? On the bright side, C is probably at home sleeping by now and has a day off tomorrow, and I'm only scheduled to pre-close (meaning, I leave when most of the important stuff is done but don't have to be there 'til 9). ^.^ Yay!

Quoth BaristaGirl View Post
    Is it really a 'condition' if it's just the human condition?
    Color me confused, as I despise having (for the moment) to own up to 'the human condition', but isn't 'the human condition' growing old and eventual death?
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
      Color me confused, as I despise having (for the moment) to own up to 'the human condition', but isn't 'the human condition' growing old and eventual death?
      Yeah, but I've always used it as a phrase with a meaning similar to "something we all go through," in a general sense. *Shrug* I'm weird like that.

Comment

I'm weird like that.
        That's fine, if you were to read closely through my question, you might notice my particular brand of 'weird'... *grins*
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I know what he meant.

The condition is known as Raynaud's Syndrome (or Raynaud's Phenomenon). I have it, too. My hands are overly sensitive to the cold, and when they get cold - often at temperatures that don't bother other people - the tissues constrict and cut off the bloody circulation in my fingers. If the weather is really brutal, I get it in my feet, too. It's horribly painful when the circulation starts up again, and my hands feel as if they've just been set on fire. This means that there are certain jobs I just can't do, if they require working in cold areas.

It really sucks.

Comment

Old people are always cold. My sister left her one-year old son with our grandmother for a few hours once, and when she got back, he was wearing a heavy winter sweater because Grandma thought it was "freezing in here." It was 75 degrees.

When I worked at the cafe, we had a gas fireplace in the dining room. We only turned it on in the winter. We constantly had to fend off elderly customers attempting to turn it on in the middle of summer. They'd never ask if anyone else in the dining room was cold - they just assumed that everyone was.

One time I left the dining room for only about 5 minutes and when I came back the fireplace was on full-power, other patrons were fanning themselves with menus, and two little old ladies were basking at the hearth. This was in the dead of summer. That's when we finally got around to putting a lock on the controls.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I am not old, and I am ALWAYS cold. It might have something to do with the fact that my average normal body temp is about 93 degrees. If it is 80 degrees outside, you will still see me wearing my sweatshirt. I don't complain though, I prepare. If it is summer and 95 degrees out I am comfortable, but if I am going to be staying out past dark, I will have a jacket or hoodie at the ready, because once the temp dips below about 82 or so I freeze.
              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

I just love seeing how people in Texas respond to, what to me, is a nice, pleasant day. I was at a friend's apartment, walking the dog, cause he was at work. Watched someone in the parking lot, dressed up in a heavy coat and snow stuffs, and here I am, walking around in shorts and a T-shirt. It's NOT that freaking cold, lady.
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Tell Crabby McOldfart to invest in a pair of mittens..
                  I will never go to school!

Comment

But .. I don't see his right to complain. The old lady he was with had already gotten the coffee, paid, and left.

While he stood around in the cold, by choice, reading a newspaper. Wouldn't he be better off not staying in a place where that happens to his fingers for that long?
                    3 Basic rules for ordering food.
                    - Order from the menu.
                    - If you order something that will take some time to cook, then be prepared to wait.
                    - Don't talk about Fight Club.

Comment

I'm going to sound like my Mommy here, but...

If you're cold, you need to take more iron.

Blah. But there ARE snazzy vitamin C coated iron pills available.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

UPDATE.

After speaking with various co-workers about the situation, I have discovered that this particular pair of old people comes in to TD and complains about the temperature all the freakin' time. Like, once-a-week or more, they will come and both of them, seperately, will complain about the cold.

Alright. Mittens. Sweatshirt. Coat. Any of these items sound exotic to anybody? What is going on here?

...This is totally part of the old people conspiracy to get me to turn down the music in my car. o.o!

Comment

...This is totally part of the old people conspiracy to get me to turn down the music in my car. o.o!
                          Whatever you do, do NOT give in to their demands. Once you do, you've set a precedent, and it'll end with there being no interesting music in the world!
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                            I know what he meant.

The condition is known as Raynaud's Syndrome (or Raynaud's Phenomenon).
                            You know, if you have a condition such as that, then you should either have wrist warmers, gloves, and/or mittens with you for when you can't avoid being in air conditioned locations, or you avoid those locations. Last I checked, the item the guy was purchasing (or failing to purchase) was not a life requirement. And most of the TDs around here have drive through windows, too.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
                              I am not old, and I am ALWAYS cold. It might have something to do with the fact that my average normal body temp is about 93 degrees. If it is 80 degrees outside, you will still see me wearing my sweatshirt. I don't complain though, I prepare.
                              I'm kind of the same way, but I'm just a born-and-bred desert rat. So's my dad. If it gets below 80, I'll make mention of the fact that it's "cool"! But, like you, knowing that I get cold, I take a sweater. Now, if I could just get the idiot customers at work to quit asking if I'm cold when I have a sweater on. No, I've got this on because I'm sweltering hot....here's your sign.

Quoth Juwl View Post
                              I just love seeing how people in Texas respond to, what to me, is a nice, pleasant day.
                              Yeah, my parents and I were standing around giggling at the rest of the tour group when we were in London last year. It was around 80 and they were all bitching because it was "hot". Meanwhile, it was about 100F at home! Funny thing is though, except for a couple from Seattle and somewhere up in the North-East, the rest were from like, Virginia, South Carolina?

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                              If you're cold, you need to take more iron.
                              Not necessarily. The iron in my blood and my dad's is just fine. Like I said, we're just born-and-bred desert rats. My dad was born and raised around Ft. Huachuca, Arizona (averages around 100F in the summer). I was born and raised in Las Cruces, New Mexico (averages around 100F in the summer). Not to mention the fact that I was born during one of the hottest summers on record.
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X