This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC Stories . . . For the Better?

I have noticed that ever since I started coming to this website and reading the stories and posting my own, I have tried very hard to become a better customer. Not only do I just want to make sure I don't do any of the things people say annoy them, but I also don't want to run the risk of being posted about here!

So I wanted to know: Does anybody else think that coming to this website and becoming "enlightened" by the tales of horror and annoyance has helped them to become a better customer? Post stories for examples (could be your own story or something you read here).

My examples are probably the ones about customers giving too much information during a sale (the "Knuckle Children" story, for example, and my own Quebec ice cream story) and the ones about customers arguing over something stupid/final (no returns without receipts, not following instructions, bringing in your whole floor to be cleaned ). I have definitely learned to know what I am dealing with before contesting something and looking like an @$$ for it. I have learned to read any and ALL signs around me before dealing with something I have no idea about!

In addition to posting my discussion question, I wanted to thank Rapscallion and the moderators for giving us a place to vent as well as a place to learn what NOT to do as a customer!
    ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

I'm a huge reader, so I always read signs, I hate confrontation, so rarely try and argue to get something, and clean up after myself or tell an employee about I mess I saw or made, so I manage to avoid most of the SC behaviours.

I think the most improvement I've gotten out of reading the stories is knowing how certain businesses operate and why they have certain policies that I find quirky or annoying, and the views of the employees on those same policies.

Also, I try and be a little friendlier. Usually when I'm out I say the bare minimum. Not to be rude or anti-social, but because I'm not a big talker. Now I try and make at least some chit-chat with cashiers, but without prying, or getting heavy into details.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I definately think it has helped me be a better person towards people who work with the public. I used to be pretty indifferent to cashiers and waitstaff. I wasn't rude, but I wasn't overly nice. Now I'll strike up light conversation with cashiers, making sure to tell them to have a good day/night/whatever. And whenever I go out to dinner, I always make my mom do 20% unless the waiter or waitress was rude or something. I'm definately a lot better in that respect thanks to customerssuck!
      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I DEFINITELY try to be nicer to employees, not only because of stories here, but because I was once a cashier and I know how much those jobs can suck. I'll tell them to have a nice day or talk about something funny with them . . . I think the next time I buy mints/gum I'll offer my cashier some. It's the little things!
        ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

It helps. I'm very polite to people to begin with but I'm more polite to waiters and etc. I just don't see the point in thinking that one is better than a retail worker.
          The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I think that alot of SC encounters (obviously not including the ones who really just want to argue) occur because of naivety, so going in and thinking that you know everything about every policy in the store is a good way to be looked at as an SC. I've had plenty of customers think that they knew more about my job than I did without even so much as thinking about how much we have to put up with (including standing for 7 hours and 30 minutes (including breaks) with a bad back).

Comment

I've stopped saying "it must be free". <ducks flying objects - I said I stopped!>

I also try that much harder to work out my own problems before asking for help. Eg, instead of just asking someone where something is, I'll actually look harder, read every end cap signage.

And I will now be more likely tip if I ever go to the States and have a restaurant meal. Since we don't do tipping, I used to think "I expect good service, I'm not paying extra for it unless it's over and above." But then, I didn't know how little wait staff get paid. So unless the service really sucks, I'll tip 15-20%. If I ever go there, that is. ... sigh.

Comment

Not here so much as working in retail helped me be a better customer. Altho this site helps me in so much as ranting here helps me be a better cashier cuz I have this place to fall back on after a hellish day.
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

I think it got me to be a bit more sarcastic with customers. i.e. "Where's your ink?" "Right there under the big sign" but all in all I do try to be a better customer. I read all the policies and I try to be nice about asking for a manager or a supervisor for more clarification.
                  "They have the internet on computers now?"
                  ~Homer Simpson

Another day at work, another broken desk

Comment

I have to admit, I was guilty of saying, "Well, it must be free" when an item wouldn't scan or there was no price tag on it.

I'm sorry.

Comment

Quoth hecubus View Post
                      I have to admit, I was guilty of saying, "Well, it must be free" when an item wouldn't scan or there was no price tag on it.

I'm sorry.
                      I am also guilty as charged, but I am under the impression that a lot of SCs believe it. I was just after a chuckle. I started doing that after a grocery store policy stated the tag and scanner must agree or the item is free. They don't do that anymore though. Wonder why?

Comment

Actually, when I worked at Kroger is was true. Thing is, it was only followed through with when the customer brought it up.

What my stupid manager wouldn't do to save a buck.

Comment

I think I'm better because I know what urks people in different jobs. Before I first came here I might not know that I was doing somthing that was concidered rude to workers.

Secondly, sometimes I just thank goodness that these stories didn't happen to me (no offense).

Comment

I think it helps me understand what's going through the minds of some employees in other stores. I was always a little bit nicer to employees because of what working retail has taught me. This site though has given me more courage to help when an SC is being an ass to an employee who really has no right to talk back to him/her. I've even tried to teach my friends and family to not be such SCs in the future.
                            Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

Comment

This site has definitely given me some insight as to what employees at retail positions do and do not appreciate. I try to be the ideal customer after the "training" I've received from the stories posted on here

Just the other day I was in Wal-Mart and attempted to buy a can of compressed air to clean out the dust from inside my computer. The cashier was a sweet elderly lady and greeted me with a smile, as did I. She rang the item though and the register which prompted her to verify I was over 18. She asked if I was, and I honestly replied "no." She told me that she couldn't sell me the item. Instead of me going off about how "I bought it here last time" (which I in fact had ) and shooting off similar rants, I just said, "Eh...That's okay. I'll be back in 5 months" . I could tell she felt bad but hey, the law is the law.

After reading the numerous posts on here, my prime objective when I encounter an employee in any retail position is to brighten their day, and to remember me as one of their "great customers"
                              Last edited by FastFoodFlunky; 08-08-2006, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X