X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
    we're grammatically halfway between the Brits and Americans
    What a predicament to labour under.

I just assumed Canada used American spelling because most books sold here only have US and Canadian prices--I guess it has to do with proximity, but why go to the trouble of different editions for different countires--we're not defenceless [sic].

Edit: Sorry, I meant I thought Americans used Canadian spelling.
    I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

Raps is right. The US military has a date system where the day goes first. Today is 10 August 2006 in military time.
      "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

but it should go up or down in a logical order

day is the smallest amount of time, month is the next, year is the largest

going month day year throws me TOTALLy off my pattern!!

and I need that pattern... oh I need it!!

I need it!!

*runs around in circles yelling and screaming and babbling wearing her tinfoil hat*
        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Do Canadians put U's in words that need them, like color, labor, etc?
          A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
          - Dave Barry

Comment

Maybe, but the French still say Qebec.

Barefootgirl, I thought in the UK you'd ask if they left U's out of words that need them.

I'm an American, but only in wourk-related courrespondence can I bring mycelf to spell like one.
            I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

We English don't really tend to be SCs, as we are the kind of nation that has the 'grin and bear it' mentality, but I think even the worst of us would quail our arguments when faced with the news of the failed 9/11 that happened today. People are, of course, yelling about the ban on hand luggage - "why can't you just scan my bag, you can see if there's a bomb in there or not!" - it's not working like that; they're assembling the bombs out of shampoo bottles and the like. But as I heard on family say on TV, whose holiday is going to be severely cut back, "as long as it's safe, we're happy."

Sorry for the interjection, but this is kinda important to me. No SC has an excuse in our airports today.
              "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

SongsOfDragons; I've only come across perhaps one or two SC's in my whole almost-year-long time working at ****. And the whole hand lugagge thing...yeah, I'd much rather have nothing to do on a two-three hour flight with no music to listen to etc., then get blown to frickin' smithereens.

And...wow, that family didn't exactly make us look good did they? xD;

Comment

You want to really throw off your pattern, Kiwi? There are two different ways to write the year, here! Most calendars list both- the western year and the buddhist (?) year, which is 2548.(I think) I can write my birthday like this: 12/27/75, 27/12/75, 12/27/18, or 27/12/18!! Thankfully, they put the format they want on most offical forms so I don't get completely confused. However, I always have to check, because different places want it done different ways!
                  Arsenic is 'natural'. Hemlock is 'organic'.

Comment

That is so true that in Canada, people may write the date in either order, so you have no way of knowing which is the day and which is the month, unless it's a day that is bigger than the 12th, because obviously if someone has written 1/21/06, there is no such thing as the 21st month, so you know what the date is supposed to be.

Basically, this way of writing dates is useless in Canada and so I never write it this way, I always write out the month's name. If you use the abbreviation it's only 3 letters, it does NOT take that much time.

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
                      Do Canadians put U's in words that need them, like color, labor, etc?
                      Some people do and some people don't. There seems to be no official stance on it, although letters from the government do put in the "U's" into the proper words. Where I live, one daily newspaper spells things Canadian, and the other, American. Both are concidered to be correct, but I like to add my extra letter's here and there.

As for the date-you're better off writing down the name of the month, otherwise people will be all different kinds of confused.
                      I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

well im taking it back

im taking it BACK!!!
                        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                          I once had an American who used the word super with everything

That would be SUPER nice of you, thank you

Oh thats just SUPER, wow I love it

she was way too happy!! it was freaky....

gah and I loath and abhore places that use the date,... month/day/year

it makes noooooo sence!!!
                          "I'm just SSTHUPER!! Thanks for asthsking!!" /south park

Sorry couldn't resist.
                          Testing
                          "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
                            We English don't really tend to be SCs
                            Heh - bets? I had a few, such as Mr and Mrs Kampaign, the Plum King, Peter the Pea Picking Pillock, and the Bitch Queen from Armageddon. One of the reasons I was determined to keep this site going is what the site gave me - no matter how lunatic the customers I had were, there was always someone having a worse day of it.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                              One of the reasons I was determined to keep this site going is what the site gave me - no matter how lunatic the customers I had were, there was always someone having a worse day of it.
                              Which brings about this question:

What do you do if it's generally agreed that you were, in fact, having the worst day out of all of our members?

A scary thought indeed.
                              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Take heart in that the next day will have someone else facing dumber people.

Besides, the more moronic your tormentors, the greater your stock on here, I suspect.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                                X