This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope you need a favor someday!

Let the record show that as I type this, it is 7:17 PM on Friday, September 21.

On Fridays and Saturdays, cancellation time for reservations at my hotel is 4 PM. I just had a man call at 7:10, asking if he could cancel his reservation, because he had just driven 6 hours to visit his father, who was having surgery, and he had decided to stay at the hospital.

He asked to cancel the reservation. I said no.

He asked to be charged half the room rate. I said no, because what we do in a situation like this, where the reservation is for more than one night, is charge you one night's rent and let the rest go. His stay was to be for two nights.

He asked if we could cut him any slack at all. I said no, and explained that I was charging him for one night, not charging for the second night and explained for the third time that you have to cancel your reservation before 4 PM on Fridays.

Then he said, "Well, I hope someday you need a favor and you get treated just like you're treating me."

Then he gave me his credit card number, so as to avoid having the room charged on his father's credit card, which had been used to book the room, thanked me for nothing, and hung up the phone.

The kicker here is that both of my parents are diabetic amputees, and I have hiv. Your sob story means nothing to me because I have a better one, and rest assured that I have needed favors and have been denied. I personally have been denied many things, because hiv is a "social disease," in fact. What I have not done is to wish harm or misfortune on a perfect stranger who was merely doing his job. I only wish harm and misfortune on people who have proven themselves to be unpleasant, vindictive, petty, stupid, or evil to me.

Therefore, and while he didn't prove himself to be all of those things, I am now wishing harm and misfortune on the man who tried to call and cancel his reservation at 7:10 PM.

The End.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Well, if he booked 2 nights and he is only being charged for 1, technically, he is being charged "half price"
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
      Well, if he booked 2 nights and he is only being charged for 1, technically, he is being charged "half price"
      *nod*

Yup. That was my thought as well. He wanted only half price, and you charged him for 1 of 2 nights, he got half price.

So, not only a jerk, but a stupid jerk at that.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Different point of view

Recently I had a very similar situation, and in my case, the hospital asked me to stay overnight with the family member who was hospitalized. I had a room booked and called to let them know I would not be coming in that night (I'd gone straight from the airport to the hospital).

I would not have *expected* to be permitted to cancel without a charge, but I'd have considered it a great kindness...and since money is tight for us, I'd probably have asked if it were possible due to the situation.

I don't think it's sucky to ask.

LZ
        Last edited by LemonZest; 09-22-2007, 02:44 AM. Reason: Decided not to put too many personal details online here.

Comment

Quoth LemonZest View Post
          I don't think it's sucky to ask.
          Me neither, but suck-or-not-suck is in the way you ask, and the way you react to the response.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Yeah, HHNC was doing his job. The guy asked, didn't get what he wanted, so he became sucky by saying: "Well, I hope someday you need a favor and you get treated just like you're treating me."

Whether you think the guy deserved a break is another thing. And we all know that no customer is ever going to lie about a sick father in order to get out of paying for a hotel room they've decided they didn't want.
            Last edited by cinema guy; 09-22-2007, 11:00 AM. Reason: afterthought & spelling
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

*snort* I "love" people that try to start a "my circumstances suck more" contest. I usually "win"... hauntedheadnc, we may have a tie.
              Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

If you're on par with me, Foxglove, then let me be the first so say how sorry I am to hear that. For some people, and I strongly suspect I am one of these people, everything goes wrong because everything always goes wrong.

However, I've had my sob story come to the forefront twice before in dealing with customers. The first time, a man got upset with me because he came on a weekend during high tourist season and did not care for the high rates. I should give him a discount because he's a soldier, and because I could not, I obviously had no respect for the military. I shut him down by explaining that my father is a Vietnam veteran with PTSD, and whose missing leg can be attributed to the diabetes that was induced by exposure to Agent Orange during the war. You on the other hand -- meaning the angry soldier -- appear to have all your limbs and as near as I can tell, you're not having flashbacks.

The second time occurred when a man fussed at me because we could not put him in a room with a microfridge. He was diabetic, and despite the fact that I told him he could store his insulin in the refrigerators behind the front desk, where we kept our breakfast supplies, we obviously did not understand the plight of the diabetic. To which I calmly explained that both of my parents are diabetic amputees, and my mother is in addition blind from her diabetes. You, however, not only drove here in your own car, meaning that you can still see well enough to hold a license, but I didn't hear the telltale click of a prosthetic leg when you walked up to me to complain.

It's always fun when I am told that I don't understand, when chances are good I understand it better than you do.

Comment

I don't get people thinking they have to keep their insulin cold.

My ex was a full type 1 who had his morning shot of the long stuff, then regular shots of the short stuff to deal with whatever he ate over the course of the day. I went to a lot of doctor appointments with him 'cause I thought it was important to know the same things he needed to know.

One of those things is that if you're storing insulin, then you should keep it refrigerated. But if you are already using a bottle, the time it takes to go through it is notably shorter than the time it takes for it to "go bad" unless you're in a place with some seriously extreme temperatures, and even then, a bucket of ice would be more than enough.

Why the heck would anyone want to take a shot with cold insulin? That's what makes it uncomfortable most of the time, is the temperature difference.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

...Why the heck would anyone want to take a shot with cold insulin? That's what makes it uncomfortable most of the time, is the temperature difference.

^-.-^
                    My mother, when she had to go on several shots a day, got very upset for a while because she thought it mean she'd have to pretty much be tethered to the house lest the insulin warm up and undergo some kind of horrific transmogrification not unlike the one Gizmo goes through in the movie Gremlins. She explained this to her doctor, who asked her why she didn't just carry the needle in her purse until she needed it.

Problem solved!

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                      Well, actually he is canceling the Saturday night reservation well before the 4 p.m. deadline, so he was within policy to not be charged.

I totally understand him being charged for Friday though - and as someone who's had to visit an out of town hospital, I bet he's going to wish he'd hung onto that room.... just getting away and showering and relaxing for an hour or two makes you much better at handling the stress of such visits.

Why people wish suckiness on employees who are following rules (especially reasonable ones) is beyond me though. Sad.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                        I think it's a throwback to before the synthetic insulins and some of the preservatives were around. My grandfather was a diabetic, and I cleary remember his insulin vials saying on them in giant letters KEEP REFRIGERATED. It was never a big deal to keep it cold for him though, he didn't get to leave the house much, maybe once or twice a month for an hour for Dr.'s appointments.
                        The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Working...
                        X