Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It must be great to feel so superior...

I had this guy at my register, who didn't have his Tops Bonus Card with him...while i was entering the store card, a lady behind him offered to scan her own card for him...and we're not allowed to do that, with the gas points deal currently going on. In fact, the managers threaten us with firings if we allow that.

I told her this, and she simply responded..."You know, this place isn't as nice as the store across the street." She said in her wonderfully smug tone of voice, referring to Wegmans. I told her it wouldn't be a big deal if we weren't being threatened with terminations, still smiling. To which she replied "Well, when this store closes down, you'll be out of a job anyway." In that same smug, oh-so-Ithacan tone of voice.

I swear, people like us aren't even human to others, just because we wear name tags. They see us as nothing more than corporate goons, when we're simply trying to follow the rules laid down for us.

But, this is why I'm thinking of re-applying to Wegmans anyway...I know it'll be just as tough over there, but i swear...it's like these damn Ithacans WANT Tops to fail.

I generally tell people with snide attitudes like that to feel free and cross the fence if the grass looks so much greener on the other side. I get paid by the hour either way, so I don't care. I certainly don't need the headache of dealing with smug jerkwads while I'm trying to earn a living. In short, they won't be missed when they're gone. There are plenty of other customers, some with more likable attitudes, to replace them.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

So, if that other place is so much better... what is she doing in your store instead of over there?

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
        So, if that other place is so much better... what is she doing in your store instead of over there?
        Obviously, it's so much better over there, she has nothing to complain about.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Quickdraw View Post
          To which she replied "Well, when this store closes down, you'll be out of a job anyway." In that same smug, oh-so-Ithacan tone of voice.
          Yegads, what is it with people and their complete lack of empathy to the plights of their fellow man/woman? I used to work for a store that was closing and going through liquidation. NEVER AGAIN will I stay to the cold, bitter end if I am put in a similar position. Not only did scuzz of the planet come crawling out of the bowls of the earth, but their was a distinct lack of sympathy for the poor people losing their jobs.

On more than one occasion (multiple times a day, in fact):
          SC: "Can you give me a bigger discount?"
          Me: Sorry, no can do. Not only would I be stealing from the store, but I would also lose my job.
          SC: Well, you're going to lose your job anyway, yuk yuk.

That's right, kiddies. The person would, without fail, laugh at their delightful humor. I really wanted to tell the person: "Hey, you DO realize you just laughed at the fact that myself and my coworkers are losing their jobs at Christmas. Maybe you don't realize this job pays our bills and feeds our families, right?" In a perfect world, I would then cry on cue and make the common man feel reeeaaally bad. I eventually started saying that I could be arrested for stealing and leaving it at that. Not that it really stopped people from pressing the issue. Worse, these were perfectly decent people acting like perfectly decent assholes. Grrr.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

ya... it's hard to compete with wegmans.
            but that lady was being a b***h about it.

Comment

Working...
            X