This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm trying to smile...I just can't right now

I put a thread in "Off Topic" about how my cat died. I found out last night so I'm still pretty depressed and I kinda don't care about much right now.)

These customers came in today and were all, "How are you?" I replied with my usual, "I'm allright." I figure that's a safe answer because I am certainly not whooping for joy most of the time, and I'm *usually* not depressed. But you get those assholes who say, "Just all right? How about SUPER! Come on, SMILE!"

Yeah, they think that they are being original, but really about 2-3 different customers say that to me everyday I'm at work. And seriously, making you feel good about yourself is NOT in my job description. I sell things to you , I'm not your motivational speaker.

So, today, I didn't care what they thought. Instead of replying back with a , "Yeah, I'm doing fine...*big fake smile*" I looked back at them and said, "My cat died." They were speechless at first, and then said, "Oh...I'm sorry...".

That's what you get you jerk. Maybe there is a reason I'm not a chipper spot of happiness for you. Maybe something serious happened to me. Maybe I have cancer, maybe my mom died, maybe the bank is foreclosing my house, etc, etc, etc!

You think I look unhappy? Ask something like, "You look like you have something heavy on your mind." There, that's a perfect thing to say to someone. Because not only are you recognizing that there is something wrong, but you aren't being completely insensitive about it. It also implies that you aren't making an assumption about someone's life!

I'm sorry everybody...I just feel so awful right now...
    Check out my cosplay social group!
    http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Don't be sorry...he was a jerk. I'm sorry about your cat
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

You poor thing.

I still get all choked up about my last kitty.

He was a doll, but somebody in my neighborhood catnapped him and kept him in their house for months. They must have not taken care of him at all, because he showed up back at home (his real home) with serious gum disease, most of his teeth rotting, and a case of autoimmune hemophelia. I had to let him go because the medicine wasn't helping.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Gabrielle Proctor View Post
        I put a thread in "Off Topic" about how my cat died. :-( I found out last night so I'm still pretty depressed and I kinda don't care about much right now.)

These customers came in today and were all, "How are you?" I replied with my usual, "I'm allright." I figure that's a safe answer because I am certainly not whooping for joy most of the time, and I'm *usually* not depressed. But you get those assholes who say, "Just all right? How about SUPER! Come on, SMILE!"

Yeah, they think that they are being original, but really about 2-3 different customers say that to me everyday I'm at work. And seriously, making you feel good about yourself is NOT in my job description. I sell things to you , I'm not your motivational speaker.

So, today, I didn't care what they thought. Instead of replying back with a , "Yeah, I'm doing fine...*big fake smile*" I looked back at them and said, "My cat died." They were speechless at first, and then said, "Oh...I'm sorry...".

That's what you get you jerk. Maybe there is a reason I'm not a chipper spot of happiness for you. Maybe something serious happened to me. Maybe I have cancer, maybe my mom died, maybe the bank is foreclosing my house, etc, etc, etc!

You think I look unhappy? Ask something like, "You look like you have something heavy on your mind." There, that's a perfect thing to say to someone. Because not only are you recognizing that there is something wrong, but you aren't being completely insensitive about it. It also implies that you aren't making an assumption about someone's life!

I'm sorry everybody...I just feel so awful right now...
        OMG! My sincere condolences on your loss. I still miss my last cat, who was the sweetest cat in the world. We honor his passing, by displaying his picture in a frame made especially for just this occasion. Here's what it says on it:
        Faithful friends
        never leave us...

They just run
        ahead to wait for
        us in a happier
        place.
        All you can do is hope that he's in a better place now. And if your faith leads you to believe that there is eternal life after death, you can hope that you'll be reunited with your friend one day.
        "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
        --StanFlouride

Comment

I'm really sorry to hear about your cat. I know how it feels to lose a pet. Hugs.
          It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
          -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Oh, babe! I'm sorry!
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Thanks so much. I'm glad to have found more people who understand what it's like to lose a cat. Especially one you've had for so long. I'm sorry for your kitties too, especially about the kittie who was catnapped! That's awful! Some people don't deserve to live!
              Check out my cosplay social group!
              http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

So sorry you've lost your kitty. I know it's painful to lose a furry member of your family so pay no attention to those idiots. You'll smile if and when you feel like it.

I had to have my 19½ year old kitty PTS last year. He was suffering from CRF and it was very hard to let him go.

Retail Haiku:
                Depression sets in.
                The hellhole is calling me ~
                I don't want to go.

Comment

Quoth Gabrielle Proctor View Post
                  Thanks so much. I'm glad to have found more people who understand what it's like to lose a cat. Especially one you've had for so long. I'm sorry for your kitties too, especially about the kittie who was catnapped! That's awful!
                  I'm definitely a cat person, I don't consider a house a proper home without at least one cat. They make our lives so much better by sharing their lives with us.

Because I've already received one PM asking about the quote I posted earlier, here's where it came from:

The cat in the picture was our cat Baby. He was a Nebelung, a somewhat rare breed, and the sweetest cat in the world... or at least, the sweetest cat that has ever been a member of my family. We had to have him put to sleep several years ago, because he was very ill, wasn't eating, and was just wasting away. The vet was pretty sure he was suffering from cancer.

My mom found that picture frame in some store, although I no longer remember where. His picture has been displayed in it ever since. It sits in the house's bay window, where he used to love to sit and watch whatever was going on outside.
                  Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 09-30-2007, 03:07 AM.
                  "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                  --StanFlouride

Comment

I am truly sorry to hear about your loss. If you want to know something, the Big Guy in the sky just wanted someone to play with.
                    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I also know how it feels to lose a beloved furry friend (let's just say that Christmas and I don't get along any more). It literally feels like your heart is being ripped in shredded pieces from your chest.

Jack Chance, that's a *beautiful* picture! Baby almost looks a little bit like my Neko.
                      ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Gabrielle,

Your cat is playing with the two cats I've had who've died, right now. They needed another good friend.

I'm very sorry for your loss, and I'm sure your kitty had a good life and knows how loved he is.
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your cat. I've only had a few cats as pets in my life, but my family has always had at least one dog. Even though I'm more partial to dogs, I still think cats have their charm.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I tend to prefer the company of animals to the company of the general public. There are people who are good company, too, but animals are much more honest, sincere creatures. They don't create drama for themselves and everyone else. They simply live and let live.
                          The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

That's horrible about the baby . . . I still miss all the ones that have already gone on.

One thing about it: they're in a better place right now and we'll see them all again one day.

Of course, I may get smothered to death by a whole farm of them, but at least I know they'll be there.

Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Jack T. Chance View Post
                              The cat in the picture was our cat Baby. He was a Nebelung, a somewhat rare breed, and the sweetest cat in the world... or at least, the sweetest cat that has ever been a member of my family.
                              That's a very beautiful cat, and he looks like quite the character! I'm sorry for your loss.

I've lost several beloved pets, lost three cats just last year. It doesn't get any easier, but I know they loved me as much as I loved them, and they're in a happier place now.

Back OT, I just don't get those folks who demand that we smile. We're human beings, not service robots! Some days we're feeling under the weather, or we've lost a loved one, or we're innundated with stress. Having the Grin Gestapo barking at us to "SMILE!" isn't going to make us feel better. Don't like my facial expression? Nobody's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to look. I don't have snakes for hair, and my frown isn't going to turn you to stone. I'm a human being, deal with it!
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X