This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport Security

I bet that there were a lot of 'sucky customers' when all their liquids were being taken away.

Does anyone who works in that industry post here? I think it would be interesting to hear some stories about it.

I can imagine it now:

"Whaddayamean you gotta take away my wine? I paid $500 F-in dollars for that wine! Do I look like a terrorist to you?"

"You're stupid! Really stupid!"

"It's Propel, not propellant!"

"Like, OMG, it's makeup!"

Poor security workers.

I bet they got yelled at, screamed at, and abused as they did their best to protect the very people who were complaining.

Actually, I hear it was fairly laid-back and sensible for the most part yesterday, certainly at UK airports. People were annoyed, but staff were keeping them informed, so it was clear WHY the liquids were being taken away.

There was one stupid girl reported on the BBC website whining that she couldn't take her makeup on the plane, but I don't think too many people had much sympathy for her.

I keep hearing rumours that passengers are allowed to purchase things like water and books on the airside of the airport, once they are through security, so i'm hoping to find at least one paperback to see me through my flight next Friday, and hopefully something to keep my daughter happy as well.
    A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
    - Dave Barry

Comment

What's this all about? It's been about 12 years since I've been on a plane, and even then that was to Vancouver... We were allowed to take grapefruit spoons, lighters, what have you onboard...

What's this about no liquids?

Comment

Quoth Rubystars View Post
        II bet they got yelled at, screamed at, and abused as they did their best to protect the very people who were complaining.
        From the few times I have flown since 9/11, they don't put up with much lip. The two times I saw attitude from a passenger, the security person just told them in a firm voice that if they don't do what was requested, they would not be allowed to fly. The passenger complied. The power of these security people is pretty impressive.

I think this is one industry that does not need to worry too much about customer friendly service.
        Last edited by South Texan; 08-11-2006, 03:12 PM.
        "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
        .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth Retail's Bitch View Post
          What's this all about? It's been about 12 years since I've been on a plane...
          ...What's this about no liquids?
          Have you not heard? The latest terrorists were going to ignite liquid explosives carried on in sports bottles.

I did read one quote in the newspaper from some moron lady flying the last few days....."They wouldn't let us bring our drinks on. That irritated me."

Hello, McFly - terrorist - liquid explosives - safety or death? Hmmm...I choose safety - get some drinks on the plane - most are complimentary!

My brother works security at a major airport in the states, I'll have to ask him what's been happening the last few days.
          Last edited by Ree; 08-13-2006, 01:47 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

The not carrying on of liquids and gels I can deal with. I just fear that what will eventually happen is the loss of the ability to have carry-on luggage at all. I can stuff my toiletries in my checked luggage, but if I can't bring on at least a couple of books with me I'm going to go spare on cross country flights.

It's already happening in the UK. Check this article out
            I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

[QUOTE=South Texan;16111]
              Quoth Rubystars View Post
              they don't put up with much lip.

I think this is one industry that does not need to worry too much about customer friendly service.
              Last year at the St. Louis airport I watched a guy try to get in a TSA screener's face, after the screener told him that, no, he couldn't carry his Opinel folding knife with the four inch blade on the plane, and that his options at that point were go back out of the airport and give to somebody who could hold it for him, or throw it away.

He wasn't having ANY of that. He's an American, dammit, and he can do WHAT he wants, WHENEVER he wants, and NO MINIMUM WAGE BASTARD was going to tell him any different, dammit.

Six armed officers swooped in at that point, and they went away for a little chat. With buddy's wife trailing behind telling Buddy at top volume what a blanketyblankblank moron he was, and how he blanketyblankblank well knew that blanketyblankblank KNIVES aren't allowed on planes and how he could blanketyblankblank well go for for two blanketyblankblank days without that blanketyblankblank toy in his blanketyblankblank pocket.

Good times.
              I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Quoth TonyDonuts View Post
                he could blanketyblankblank well go for for two blanketyblankblank days without that blanketyblankblank toy in his blanketyblankblank pocket.
                Go, wife!

I wonder how many blanketyblankblank days she made him go without any blanketyblank?
                Last edited by Dips; 08-11-2006, 03:54 PM.
                The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                  It's already happening in the UK. Check this article out
                  Right now only the UK has these restrictions. The TSA is not allowing liquids of any kinds in carry-on, or to be brought on the plane if you buy it after security, but otherwise no changes. Anybody know about any other countries?

Comment

[QUOTE=TonyDonuts;16126]
                    Quoth South Texan View Post
                    He wasn't having ANY of that. He's an American, dammit, and he can do WHAT he wants, WHENEVER he wants, and NO MINIMUM WAGE BASTARD was going to tell him any different, dammit.
                    Last time I checked on jobs boards, the security screeners got paid a lot more than minimum wage A LOT more.
                    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Kind of and I apologize for that, but does anyone happen to know if people flying from the US to the UK are allowed to bring carry-on? My fiance and I are planning to go to Scotland for our honeymoon in October, and I'd like to be prepared. Although transatlantic flights with no books frankly makes me want to road trip somewhere in country instead.
                      Dips: The best karma happens when you let a jerk bash themselves senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

Quoth dragonflygrrl View Post
                        ...does anyone happen to know if people flying from the US to the UK are allowed to bring carry-on?
                        Look here: http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/threat-change.shtm
                        It seems that the ban is liquids only. SAS's homepage said (in danish) that you could take cameras, PDA's and mobile computers but without any bags. Books were allright. SAS was the other way (Denmark to USA).
                        Last edited by Ree; 08-13-2006, 01:48 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Comment

I can understand why the girl was peeved about the makeup. Think about it. An entire collection of liquid makeup can get pretty spendy. Especially after you factor in any shampoos, lotions, hand sanitizer, perfume, blah blah that most women have in their makeup kits/purses, and you have anywhere from $50 to $300 or more worth of product there.

I hope that the agents checking in passengers are reminding people there to put liquid items in checked baggage, so that very thing doesn't happen, although hopefully by now the sheer amount of twittering over it on news, radio, internet and newspapers have clued in the vast majority of people.

I, too, like to have a change of clothes, undies, and my toiletries with me in the event my luggage doesn't make it with me to my destination. Sigh... I wonder if this will be a permanent ban?

Comment

Quoth dragonflygrrl View Post
                            My fiance and I are planning to go to Scotland for our honeymoon in October, and I'd like to be prepared.
                            Oooh - I'm not that far from Scotland, you know...

Anywhere in particular?

As a side note, when I was flying from Toronto to Atlanta in February, there was an SC in front of me who had managed to ensure she was getting to the airport far too close to the take-off time. She started banging on about how it was bad customer service not to let her on the plane with only a quarter-hour remaining before take-off.

When the attending manager told her that she was not getting on the plane and it wasn't negotiable, and that she would go and see what other flights there were, the woman turned around to us all and said loudly how making a scene always got results.

I just stared. It wasn't a pretty sight.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
                              Go, wife!

I wonder how many blanketyblankblank days she made him go without any blanketyblank?
                              *Snort*

Oh, ow. Coffee burns, coffee burns...

When the attending manager told her that she was not getting on the plane and it wasn't negotiable, and that she would go and see what other flights there were, the woman turned around to us all and said loudly how making a scene always got results.
                              I imagine that was the case-but were they positive results?!?
                              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Working...
                              X