This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're Teachers, Not Magicians!

So a couple of years after Kroger I started working at a wonderful church dayschool. The great thing about working in a church dayschool is that for the most part everybody is tightknit and kind and there are no SCs. Well, virtually.

We had alot of new 4-year-olds start in our class last Fall semester, in addition to the kiddos who had moved up from the 3-year-old class. For those of you who don't know, alot of dayschools/cares offer fulltime or parttime care, parttime being either morning or afternoon. Now, the only problem with having morning/afternoon kids is that the teachers and activities change during naptime, so unless a child stays for the whole day they will not get the full benefit of the school. We had the mother of one of our part time (afternoon only) kids angry with us because "we weren't doing our job." Why? Because her daughter was not only not making friends like the other kids were, but she also did not know the alphabet, could not write her name, and could not recognize the letters in the alphabet.

This was our argument:

*Education takes time. Your child is half-day and is only here for 3 hours (literally!) a day. OF COURSE your child is not progressing at anywhere near the rate as the other children; the other children have the benefit of 4-5 more hours (depending on drop-off time) with us every weekday.

*The "meat" of the program is during the morning. Letters, writing, counting, songs, and social prowess are mostly done in the morning, when there is the most time.

*The lead teachers (teachers with lesson plans and the most training) are only there in the morning. The afternoon teachers just follow the guidelines set by the morning teacher and fill in the gaps with extra games and activities when neccisary. (As an afternoon teacher myself I try to do some academic stuff as well, but I can't vouch for the other PM teachers)

*The "danger" with having your child come in for a half day and be with children who are here for a full day is that your child will most likely not form the same bonds as the other children.

When she tried to tell us that "she didn't know all that," we responded with "this is all in the newsletter AND was told to you during your child's orientation." She was understanding with that, but I just bugs me that she didn't have the common sense to know that half day is not the same as full day!
    Last edited by kerrisan; 08-11-2006, 08:49 PM.
    ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

of course she didnt have the sence, then she just might have to take some personal responsibility....

and then she couldnt blame someone else :O the shock must have given her a headache
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Oh man I did a stint in a church nursery once. My dad and I watched all the kids up to age two. The windows in the nursery had two glass windows, and eventually, me and the other nursery workers made the decision to tape paper over them. Why? Well, at the beginning, we asked parents to please not stop to make faces at their kids if they knew it would make their toddlers cry. Some kids have separation anxiety, and it takes forever to calm them after mom and dad leave for choir practice. When you come back, peek in, wait til your kid sees you, then waves, voila, screaming child wakes up all the napping newborns. I didn't mind if a parent peered in the window in passing, just to see how their kid was playing, but making a point to wave and smile even though they KNOW their kid cries just irked us. Have some compassion for the workers, and for God's sake, your OWN KID!
      I may be free from retail, but the nightmares still linger.....

Comment

Yeah, that is the exact reason the windowpanes on our doors were "frosted" except for one up high so parents could check on their kids but not disturb them. I had this one coworker screw it all up for us one time, though: we had just gotten this little girl (with a HEALTHY pair of lungs) to stop screaming after 10 minutes, and Mom was looking in on her through the window. To help the girl be happier, my coworker said, "Look! Look at Mommy! Say hi!" Before I could stop it, she started screaming and crying again.
        Last edited by kerrisan; 08-11-2006, 09:09 PM.
        ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

When I did my work experience in a nursery, there was this one brat who WOULD NOT SHUT UP CRYING. Since I was the n00b and only there for a week she was foisted on me. I could have strangled the little spoiled ingrate.

It's what put me off teaching for life. The only thing I learnt was that I couldn't stand the single-figure bratlings of people I don't know.
          "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

In response to the mom implying that the teachers aren't doing their jobs correctly, I would have been tempted to reply....

"Perhaps your child is just an idiot ma'am?"

yes...it was mean...but I had to do it
            "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
              It's what put me off teaching for life. The only thing I learnt was that I couldn't stand the single-figure bratlings of people I don't know.
              Well, then, it's probably a blessing for all concerned that you realized this. I would wonder, if you have so little patience, why you would have considered a teaching career.

I had always wanted to be a teacher when I was younger, but when the time came, I was mature enough to realize I simply did not have the patience to teach other people's children. (Odd, I know, considering I now do foster care. )
              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I feel your pain. Being absent from the classroom is obviously going to cause a child to fall behind academically. I often wonder why these parents don't work with their kids at home if they are so gung ho about them succeeding in school. You don't even have to sit down with them, just sing the alphabet in the car, point out various letters and numbers when you are out with your child, etc.

I work with the special ed. kids and the most irritating thing to me is when the parent does not follow up on what we do for them at school. We are talking BASIC things here- like feeding themselves with utensils, potty training, putting on clothes, manipulating buttons/zippers on clothing, etc. It's really frustrating to have these kids come back after a long holiday and have to start at square one again because the parents are not working on this stuff with them at home. Then it just makes me MAD when they come to an annual review discussion and complain that Johnny hasn't learned to do this at home yet why aren't you people doing your job? Yes, I realize the kids with special needs require more time and patience, but if you claim to care enough about the child's progress then take some freakin' responsibility and DO YOUR PART.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                  Well, then, it's probably a blessing for all concerned that you realized this. I would wonder, if you have so little patience, why you would have considered a teaching career.
                  I think the person is probably jaded due to their horriffic experience being deliberately given the worst child to look after. If a cashier was deliberately given the worst customers to deal with when they were new they'd probably be completely jaded, burned out and biased in a week too. An experience like that when you're knew can ruin the most patient of people, which is why good employers generally try and support the n00bs.
                  Every day at work is the new worst day of my life.

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
                    I dunno, you may want to try again. That may have just been a crappy experience. Volunteer for tutoring or being a teacher's aide or take a few courses in Education (ones that require fieldwork); you may change your mind.
                    Also, it is a well-known fact among new teachers/the EDU dept of my uni/EDU students that sometimes, if you are a new teacher, your principal will give you the worst group of kids for your first time because nobody else will want them and he/she knows you won't know any better. The best thing to do is to just grin and bear it, put your training to the test, and show 'em (the principal and your students alike) what you are really made of!

Comment

I dunno. I never understood why people pushed so hard for preschool. This isn't a personal slam at your job, by the way. I just think it's more important for kids to pick up a belief in learning than in starting a rigid (or as rigid as preschool gets) learning program. If the parent pawns off all teaching on a school, the kid is far less likely to want to learn. After all, if mom/dad didn't want to teach me, it can't be that important, can it?

I didn't go to preschool, but I still did phenemonal in school. Only one of my children went to preschool, and that was because we had a specific problem we were worried about, but all of them have done from above average to phenomenal in school, as well.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                        It probably was. I think I originally considered it for the holidays...then I found the crap they are payed and what they have to put up with and I said "H]NO!!"
                        Last edited by Ree; 08-12-2006, 06:24 PM. Reason: Excessive quoting
                        "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

I considered nursery duty in the church to be the world's best birth control

I always got along well with the rowdier little boys though, go figure.

Comment

Working...
                          X