This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Threats at the Pet Store

Tuesdays and Wednesdays in our store are seniors day! Anybody who happens to be over 55 gets 10% off - wonderful, right? Not for the poor girls working the tills.

Me: The gloriously polite princess of the pet store.
    EEB: Evil Elderly Bitch who happens to be wearing aviator sunglasses and so gauging her age is impossible.
    CC: Collective Coworkers

Me: (ringing her through the till, hesitating to ask the most dreaded question of all). Miss, everyone over 55 gets 10% off today... is there any way you might happen to be just over 55 to qualify?
    EEB: .... I'm going to kill you.
    Me: (thinking she's kidding and although shaken, trying to maintain a sunny demeanor) Well I'm sorry to ask - I'm horrible at gauging ages but it's a question that has to be asked - especially if you would save over $80!
    EEB: No I don't think you understand. I'm going to kill you.
    CC: ..... (crickets. The entire store has gone silent)
    Me: Miss, I apologize. If you'd like to talk to a mana-
    EEB: No, I'd rather deal with you myself.
    CC: ............
    Me: I'm going to have to ask that you leave now.
    EEB: YOU INSULT ME AND THEN ASK ME TO LEAVE WITHOUT MY MERCHANDISE?? HOW DARE YOU, YOU WH-- (and she continued to rant as I rang through her purchase and her visa. )
    Me: (interrupting her rant) I'm sorry Ma'am, but your Visa has been declined.
    EEB: (storms out, leaving her Visa and purchases at the till)

On the next seniors day, a woman comes by to claim a lost Visa and ends up coming through my till with an $800 purchase of trees (the pet store is inside a larger garden center and I was working till.)

Me: (recognizing her as the wonderful EEB) That comest to $--- please.
    EEB: (obviously doesn't recognize me) Isn't today seniors day? I thought I got 10% off today! I'm entitled to my 10%!!!!!
    Me: May I please see some ID to verify your age, Ma'am? It's just that I can't see how you can possibly be over 55!
    EEB: HOW DARE YOU INSULT ME? DON'T YOU BELIEVE ME? I'M AN HONEST PERSON RANT RANT RANT RANT.
    Me: (gives her the 10% and sends her on her way).

Honestly, I've never experienced something as strange as that.

And I thought they were bad when they try to haggle discounts at the charity shop! You have my heartfelt sympathies for having to put up with that.
    Idiot-proofing myself since 1997

Comment

Death Threats don't fly. I'd have called the cops.

THAT would have made her day.
      I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Wait, the same woman comes by, first making death threats because you asked her a question and now she says she is entitled to her 10% after basically making death threats? I would have called the cops right then and there. I swear, i hate people like that!

Comment

Quoth MoonChild2007 View Post
          Wait, the same woman comes by, first making death threats because you asked her a question and now she says she is entitled to her 10% after basically making death threats? I would have called the cops right then and there. I swear, i hate people like that!
          Ah the beauty of dementia, probably doesn't even remember threatening you.

Comment

Quoth DesignFox View Post
            Death Threats don't fly. I'd have called the cops.
            My thoughts exactly. I never had anyone threaten me like that back in my retail hell days, but you can bet that if anyone had, they would have been in jail.
            "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
            ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

I'm always a little more willing to forgive SCs when they're really old. Not that death threats are something to be taken lightly from someone regardless of their age.

As Tria said
              Ah the beauty of dementia, probably doesn't even remember threatening you.
              It's a bit sad really. Creepy sad, but still sad.

Comment

Quoth LizaMarie View Post

It's a bit sad really. Creepy sad, but still sad.
                I wasn't excusing her.... But on another note, did she look like this:

Comment

"Don't you mean you're going to KILL me for not giving you the discount?" is what I would have said.
                  But then again I'm an instigator and a raging smart ass.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                    "Don't you mean you're going to KILL me for not giving you the discount?" is what I would have said.
                    But then again I'm an instigator and a raging smart ass.
                    As would I. What's the worst they can do? Bop me with their canes? Run me over with their Hoverounds with a top speed of half a mile an hour? Fill their pants?

Then again, I do have an overactive imagination, a malfunctioning brain-to-mouth filter, and several other things wrong with me.

And I thought I had it bad with Senior days on the first Wednesday of every month. I can't fathom having them twice every week.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth PetStoreKate View Post
                      Me: (ringing her through the till, hesitating to ask the most dreaded question of all). Miss, everyone over 55 gets 10% off today... is there any way you might happen to be just over 55 to qualify?
                      I had a waitress friend in a similar situation who figured out a solution. In your store, her line would be something like this:
                      "And just to let you know, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are "Seniors Day." So if you have any friends or family over 55, send them in for 10% off."
                      Responses were usually either a vague agreement to tell a friend of family member or an astonished, "Well, I'm over 55!"

I don't think it would have helped with this crazy lady, but for the future...
                      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                      - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                        I had a waitress friend in a similar situation who figured out a solution. In your store, her line would be something like this:
                        "And just to let you know, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are "Seniors Day." So if you have any friends or family over 55, send them in for 10% off."
                        Responses were usually either a vague agreement to tell a friend of family member or an astonished, "Well, I'm over 55!"

I don't think it would have helped with this crazy lady, but for the future...
                        Oh that is BRILLIANT! Thank you! I tried to word it as best I could, and she certainly would have been just over 55, if that. With her gigantic sunglasses I had no way of knowing. She wasn't old, but she wasn't my age, either!

Comment

Death threats were made, and no supervisor and police were called?

I'm glad I don't work there.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Second time around I probably would have said something along the lines of "last time you were here you threatened to kill me when I implied you might be over 55, so which is it?" I can't stand people who can't make up their minds like that. It's either pissed if you aren't or pissed if you are.
                            Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

Maybe her 55th birthday was between the two Senior Days? O.o
                              "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Working...
                              X