This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I miss something?

I've been lurking for awhile and finally decided to join and post my very first SC rant.

I've worked at a northwest chain of restaurants for a few years now, and the following occurred only a few months after I was hired. I was a cashier at the time.

It was a busy night, and the manager and I were taking orders up front. I was waiting for my customers to decide when a woman (furthermore known as SC) walked up to my manager's register. Basically the convo went something like SC wanted to pay for a glass she grabbed of the bar. She poured herself some soda. She has been choking and it was still kinda stuck in her throat. My manager of course told her that it wasn't necessary to pay, that he understood her plight. She walks away, I barely give her a glance, and continue with my order.

An hour or so later she comes up to the counter again, red-faced/angry/borderline tantrum and is talking to the manager. By this time I'm back in the kitchen and notice her pointing at me, and so I join them. This was a long time ago, So I cant remember exactly how the conversation went. But from what I understood was that she wanted to pay for that drink she took off the bar. She was persistent. She said I looked at her in such a way that made her think that I thought that she was stealing. She throws the money at the manager.
    She then reaches into her purse and throws a wadded up dollar bill at me and scream (and I use that word literally) "HERE'S YOUR FUCKING TIP!!". And storms out the door.

I walked back into the kitchen, shell-shocked, and my A.M. followed me. He looks at me and just busts up laughing. I, of course feel much better, see the absurdity of it all, and join him. Never heard anything else about the incident.
    Things just get so crazy living life gets hard to do. I would gladly hit the road, get up and go if I knew,that someday it would bring me back to you.

Let me be the first to you to

I only wish I had customers like that. The ones I always get keep trying to get freebies out of me.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

We're glad you're here.

Sounds like that woman had a guilty conscience or was just plain paranoid. Not your fault, obviously . . . but at least you got a random $1 out of it!
      ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Wow, she definitely wasn't one of my customers...mine always try to wriggle out of paying for ANYTHING. *sigh* WELCOME TO CS!
        The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

I forget precisely what caused this episode, but at some point at Chesterfield, I had a day where some woman asked me a series of questions, no idea what any longer, though. She walked out of the store, right past the huge glass store front and around the corner. I turned to go back to talking to the MOD, and she walks back in, all huffy.
          "Well, is there a problem or not?"
          M: "Huh?"
          "You rolled your eyes as I left."
          M: "I did no such thing. I did watch you leave, just to make sure that was the end of the discussion, and then, went back to my discussion with my superior here to find out what else needs to be done tonight."
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

This reminds me of an interaction I had with a customer. He had used up all his activations and needed another. I asked him a few questions and it was clear to me that it was legit and I was just about ready to to let him know that I was going to issue him another activation, when he shouts, "Fine! I'll just buy another copy then!"

Yeah, dude. Do that. That'll show us.

Anyway, I didn't take his money and finished giving him the new activation. But he really needed to work out some better threat material.
            The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Is it just too much to ask to have normal, nice customers?
              Hell, I'd like to go just one day without having an sc walk through my doors.
              Things just get so crazy living life gets hard to do. I would gladly hit the road, get up and go if I knew,that someday it would bring me back to you.

Comment

Quoth saint View Post
                Is it just too much to ask to have normal, nice customers?
                Hell, I'd like to go just one day without having an sc walk through my doors.
                Chaos theory inherently makes that impossible...

For those of you who have been following the "Math in School" thread, I'm warning you right now that this is going to be chock full of ratios.

Everyone who hates math gone? Good.

So, working from our little microcosm of CS.com, it is distinctly obvious, just by, say, RB's stories, that SCs outweigh the good customers. thus, SC>GC. In effect, the ratio of SCs to GCs must be at least 1.1:1 and is probably much much larger than that. To make that ratio proper, we have to multiply both sides by ten to remove the decimal, making the ratio 11:10, still, an extremely generous assumption on the number of CSes...I would easily put it at more like 15:2. Now then, every single person who walks into your store can be one side or the other (If you're assuming the duality of human nature, which I usually wouldn't, but this is already going to be complex enough...).
                So, one person has come into the store, the chance that he's an SC is (SC ratio)/(total customer sample ratio), or 15/17, or roughly 88%. Now, if another person walks through the door, they have the exact same chance of being an SC, but you've already had one person in the store, so, you have to multiply each side of the ratio by itself (in other words, take the side of the ratio to the power of the number of customers you've had in the store, or : (SC^n): (GC^n), where n= the number of customers who've come into the store), thus, the ratio keeps getting looser, as 15^2 is already 225, and 2^2 is only 4, changing the chance to 225/229, or 98%, as you can see, the percentage increased drastically. Now, take that to the 100 power or so, thanks to the flow of customers you get in the store in a day, and the ratio quickly approaches a 100% chance of getting at the very least, one SC in the store in a day. At the VERY least.

Please note: It's been a while since I took discrete math, so if anyone can explain this better for others, please feel free to correct me and such.
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Ahhh, but you forgot fuzzy math (my term, basically approximation math). Which will adds + or - 5% to any percentage of chance. So births the term "when hell freezes over"
                  I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                    Ahhh, but you forgot fuzzy math (my term, basically approximation math). Which will adds + or - 5% to any percentage of chance. So births the term "when hell freezes over"
                    Your term? Guess you haven't seen the flash movie of the same title...

But anyway, yeah, customers like that confuse the flippin' hell outta me. It's like...what did I do?! There's this lady that comes into my store sometimes, (I call her Joan Rivers because she looks and acts accordingly), who asks for things, and then treats you like a cow pile even if you do what she asked for. The last time I dealt with her, she asked me an obscure question about produce (where I DO NOT work) and started huffing and puffing when I told her I had to go get the produce guy for her. He came out pretty quickly, and he answered her question...and she still chewed him out for god knows what.
                    Discourtesy Clerk, purveyor of fine hay bales, pine scented douche and stuff that's not in bins since July 2006.

Comment

I'm older than flash. So they stole it from me if anything

It freaks out my fellow programmers when I use fuzzy math that don't even make sense. But it works. Another way to make sure I stayed hired
                      I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Working...
                      X