Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A heck of a lot of returns...and a little sexual harrassment (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A heck of a lot of returns...and a little sexual harrassment (long)

ok...so for those of you that dont know I work in an outlet mall. Today was half way busy, and all H*ll broke loose. First of all...on a normal day we usually have 1 or 2 returns...max. Today I had TWELVE. I spent half my time behind the register doing returns (only managers are allowed to do returns.) Most people were very nice, and very patient with how long I was taking. I did have one guy though who was VERY impatient with me. He wanted to return a product without a receipt, or tags on the product of any kind. In addition I had never seen any of these products in my store, nor had my employees.

I informed the man that without a receipt showing proof of purchase, or tags showing they were ours, I wouldnt be able to do a return. He stated that our brand name was sewn into the clothing so we HAD to give him a refund. I asked him if he had specifically purchased the clothes in my store.....Nope....at our store up by Green Bay....uhm...ok....so I decided to give corporate a call.

It turns out that the particular style that he wanted to return were created by a subsidiary of our company who sold our product to wal-mart about 5 years ago. They also informed me that this guy has been trying to con us into returning those items for about 3 years and not to give him anything.

Having this knowledge, I inform him that I cant do anything for him, and he will have to contact the corporate offices if he would like further information. I gave him the contact info and off he went into the store. I was very happy that this was over...or so I thought.

Pretty soon I was flagged down by him and he asked me "do you have any of the sexy underwear that the ladies like?" hmmm...let me think...if you paid attention to me at all you would quickly figure out I dont swing that way.....second.....the guy weighed about 450 pounds (no kidding)...so I showed him everything that we had in the store.

After working with him for a while, he asked me "do you think the cute little brunette over there would want to go into the dressing room with me and watch me model them? As a manager I know you can make that happen."

I replied "sir....there is a thin line between joking around and sexual harrassment. While I realize that my employee didn't hear you, you just crossed that line. I need to ask you to either purchase your merchandise now and leave or just leave."

I was royally ticked off, and I think my co-workers could tell..because they started joking around with me and got me in happy spirits again....it just ticks me off more and more now that I think of it. Did I do the right thing or should I have done something different? sorry...Im kind of new to management.

Thanks for any help!
    "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Way to stand up for your employees! I can only hope all of my bosses will be that supportive and protective of me, even when I'm not in the immediate vicinity. Great job. ^.^! COOKIES FOR YOU!

Comment

You did exactly the right thing as far as I am concerned. There is no reason that anyone should ever think that let alone insiuate or out right say it. Its a good thing for you hed didn't become mean or anything.
      Last edited by Chanlin; 11-10-2007, 02:38 AM. Reason: ahs kant schpel

Comment

You were awesome...wish more people in management stood their ground!

Comment

"As a manager you can make that happen?" Is he serious? Um...did he think you were a pimp or something? That's offensive on several levels. Gross.

You did exactly the right thing.

Comment

As everyone else had said, you done a great job
            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth king4aday View Post
              After working with him for a while, he asked me "do you think the cute little brunette over there would want to go into the dressing room with me and watch me model them? As a manager I know you can make that happen."
              You can make her want to? Wow, you have amazing psychic powers!

And while asking if you have 'the underwear ladies like' is reasonable - depending on the tone of his voice as he says it - this bit is wrong, wrong, wrong.

I replied "sir....there is a thin line between joking around and sexual harrassment. While I realize that my employee didn't hear you, you just crossed that line. I need to ask you to either purchase your merchandise now and leave or just leave."
              A good response. Well done.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I was royally ticked off, and I think my co-workers could tell..because they started joking around with me and got me in happy spirits again....it just ticks me off more and more now that I think of it. Did I do the right thing or should I have done something different? sorry...Im kind of new to management.
                Depending on your mood, you might have added "And do not return. If you do, we will have you arrested for trespassing." But a wonderful response. Tactful, while still preventing putting your company in any position that could involve lawsuits.

Comment

I didnt threaten a tresspass because in my position as an associate manager and not a general manager I wasnt sure if I had that level of responsibility.
                  "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay you!!!

Ugh, just reading about that guy gave me the heebie-jeebies. I can't imagine being in the same store as him.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I think you may want to chat with corporate and your GM about banning this creep (and look at the sex offenders registry for your state...)

Comment

Personally

Did I do the right thing or should I have done something different? sorry...Im kind of new to management.

Thanks for any help!
                        I think you should have called the police to see if he could be charged with soliciting.

Comment

You are my personal hero of the month! You are awesome!
                          The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

i love you just for standing up to him.

Comment

Off topic:
                              What's up with all the sexual harassment stories popping up recently? Is there a sex offender convention I wasn't informed of?
                              On topic: Good job protecting the store.
                              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                              X