X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mall = Demolition Derby

Oh joy, the perils of Black Friday!!

Nearby is one of the many loading docks around the mall, and today, it was sheer hell. The Dock was "commandeered" by the Toy Store because the other dock they normally used is full of toys clogging up the backroom and the dock itself.

Imagine if you will the layout of the dock:

The dock is located in a triangle of sorts. One side is the road, another side is the actual dock itself, and the other side is occupied by the Dumpster/Recycling Area and a walkway. The Loading dock area can comfortably hold 2 delivery trucks side-by-side; 3 if it's those Ford Express a/or Dodge Sprinter Vans. The Toy store had to take up the entire dock to handle the truck and the forklift.

Anyway, I have the delivery door open, accepting a DHL parcel (DHL guy was lucky enough to grab a nearby stall near the loading dock), when we hear this loud CRUNCH!!! of metal. Some idiot in a Toyota Harrier smashes into the side of the cab of the delivery truck.

Now here's the WTF part: How the Harrier hit the cab is the mystery. It had to jump the curb, over a sidewalk, and then hit the truck on it's side. But the road and the way the dock is wouldn't allow such a hit unless the truck was jutting out from the protective curb.

Oh well, one less SUV on the road.

* I can't count how many times I saw the Cops, the Ambulance, and the Fire Trucks race thru the parking lot. One of the Security Guards notes that there was a mini-riot at Sears over some electronics.

* The guards also noted that they had to deal with 55 cases of fender benders, dents, and other assorted car mishaps. And the towing of 25 cars for parking in a Handicap stall without a placard.

* The shuttle and city buses had a wonderful time beeping people out of the loading zones and bus stops so they can park. and cough out passengers. Amazingly, one SUV parked in an ACTIVE LOADING ZONE to get coffee at Starbucks. The bus arrives a minute later, and Security hauls out the Tow truck to move the offending SUV.

I drove by our mall today, and I couldn't see an open spot anywhere. It doesn't help that they were doing construction and had half the food court/best buy lot blocked off.

I saw two hummers over to one side that had apparently hit each other, watched one car slam into another as they were backing out, and one person barely dodge an oncoming pickup.

This is why I do not shop on Black Friday. Ever.
    Ma'am, I could care less about the time your precious Fifi found a baby squirrel and raised it as her own, I just want to know if you've ever been told you had diabeetus.

Comment

I heard on the radio yesterday, "The only day of the year walking in a dark alley in Dorchester" (sketchy sketchy gonna-get-shot part of the city) "is safer than grabbing the last PS3 off the shelves." I nearly pissed myself laughing. Not only did I not shop on Black Friday, the least holy of days, I actively avoided driving or being near any malls or shopping centers when possible. I cowered like a frightened ostrich! *Head in sand!*

Comment

you see smart people in reno have a trick, park either at Pine Middle School or the Niel Rd park and then take the bus to the mall. anyway, I feel your pain, I had no choice but to go shopping yesterday (i needed a new pair of shoes, and in all of the states of nevada and utah there is only one store that has shoes that fit me properly, and that was the only day I could make it to the store). Said store was only 2 blocks from the mall, and people were parking in that centers lot and walking to the mall.

i also saw my favorite sign of the year, "proudly selling toys NOT made in china"... displayed at a mom and pop store 2 doors down from a toy-r-us.
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

The mall wasn't packed, but was close to full, and people were still driving too fast. And other people were lollygagging their way across the traffic lanes. I'm amazed there wasn't more thinning of the herd.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
          X