This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Register 8 is a black hole!

Seriously. I've experienced it first hand. And I'm tall (6'5") If you are placed on register 8 to ring, customers cannot see you, no matter your light is on, you're waving your hands in the air (like you just don't care. Cause you can't, you won't, and you don't stop) and people just ignore you. Now, it's much worse for those who are normal height (that's right, I'm a freak.)
    For instance, M was at reg 8 today. She's nice, but she's a bit short.
    I however, was at reg 4, right in the middle of, "Holy Gods! Why won't you people stop pestering me?" Guy comes up to me, walking in the general direction of reg 8, but is skipping the lines, and asks, "Is M in today?" Only he uses her last name, and I don't know M's last name. I learn first names, faces, and sometimes personality quirks. So, I gesture at reg 8, and say, "Her?"
    "Oh, yeah."
    "I call murder on that!"

That is kind of like the Field House. The students knowledge of its existence seems to disappear right after they are told of it. The amount of patrons in one night is about 3/4 that of the Rec Center in one hour.

And being 6'5" doesn't make you a freak. Personally, I consider anyone 6' or less in height to be short. Between 6'1" and 6'3" is the average. But that is just my skewed view of the world.
    "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

There's a register like that at my local coffee shop. Its way the hell down at the end of the counter, past a bunch of displays, a good ten feet past where the first person in queue would be standing.

I feel so sorry for the cashiers on that register. They have to shout very loudly and wave their arms around to get anyone over there. Sometimes people at the front of the line will hear "I CAN HELP YOU DOWN HERE!" and start looking around wildly, not seeing where the disembodied voice is coming from.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
        And I'm tall (6'5")
        Juwl, aren't you the one that (recently) moved to Texas? There are two chapters of the Tall Clubs International in Texas that I know of-one in Dallas and one in San Antonio. I used to be an honorary mascot, when I was dating a guy that was 6'5" (I'm only 5'4").
        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
          There are two chapters of the Tall Clubs International in Texas that I know of-one in Dallas and one in San Antonio. I used to be an honorary mascot, when I was dating a guy that was 6'5" (I'm only 5'4").
          There are tall clubs? I want to be an honourary mascot (5'0" or 150cm)
          How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
            Juwl, aren't you the one that (recently) moved to Texas?
            *sigh* Yes, damnit. I moved down here a little over a year ago now (last Halloween)
            It's entirely possible I might be moving back to Missouri in Feb! To live with a friend and her friend, in a house.

I don't wanna join a tall club. I hate being tall. I'd much rather be short.
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth juwl
              I hate being tall. I'd much rather be short.
              Blasphemer. How could you hate being tall.
              Everyone shorter than you become the perfect arm rest. Everything can be easily spotted. We can easily reach the items on the top shelf. The best part is calling every one of average height short and watch them get upset.

Comment

Quoth Trayol View Post
                Blasphemer. How could you hate being tall.
                Everyone shorter than you become the perfect arm rest. Everything can be easily spotted.
                Yes but you must watch out for us short ones with tempers.....use me as an armrest and you'll get bitten. (I am only 5 feet tall)
                My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Tall women = Knightmare drooling all over the place uncontrollably.
                  It's nice being able to look a woman in the eyes without having to bend all the time.

And for other things, too...

...like a pick-up game of basketball. Yeah. That's what I meant to say.

Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Quoth monolayth View Post
                    Yes but you must watch out for us short ones with tempers.....use me as an armrest and you'll get bitten. (I am only 5 feet tall)
                    I'll second that. My last boss was 4'11", and I, at 5'8" was scared to death of her. Not only was she crazy, but she had a black belt in Kung Fu, and could hand me my ass if I stepped out of line.

Sooooo glad I got away from there.
                    Is it insanity to reason with the voices in your head or to ignore them and hope they go away on their own? - Hod from Brat-halla

"You're the nicest evil person I know" one of my managers to me

Comment

I'm only a pitiful 6 - 6'1 or so.

But what I lack in height I make up for in spite.

Comment

Quoth Trayol View Post
                        We can easily reach the items on the top shelf.
                        That's part of why I hate being tall. Everyone needs me just to help them reach the high places.
                        Plus, say it with me now: "Do you play basketball?"
                        Look at the rest of my body. Do I look athletic in the least? Fuck no! I'm not into physical stuff. (Yes, those of you in the gutter, I meant it that way.)

Sorry, Knightmare, the best you'd get out of a game of basketball with me would be me standing near the hoop and just randomly trying to slap the ball out of your hands.
                        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth juwl
                          That's part of why I hate being tall. Everyone needs me just to help them reach the high places.
                          I usually just charge people per item. Or dangle it above them just out of reach, watching them trying to jump for it. Yes, I use my height for evil.
                          Normally I get the football questions. Yes, I am shaped like a lineman, but my athletic ability is non-existent.

As for you little people out there, I believe I could hold you at bay with my outstretched arm as you spin your arms like windmills. Hehehe.

Gravekeeper, I'm sorry for you.

Quoth Knightmare
                          It's nice being able to look a woman in the eyes without having to bend all the time.
                          I completely agree with you.

Comment

Plus, say it with me now: "Do you play basketball?"
                            Look at the rest of my body. Do I look athletic in the least? Fuck no! I'm not into physical stuff. (Yes, those of you in the gutter, I meant it that way.)
                            I hate that stereotype, too. People automatically assume that just because you are tall, you play basketball. ( I am not tall in the least, 5 feet tall) but I can't stand stereotyping people.

Comment

Heh, I am 5 foot and like 3/4 of an inch, I can't reach anything, so I learned to be a monkey and climb on whatever is available. It is a pretty funny site really. I have had many customers look at me funny when they see me perched on the ledge of a cooler door to stock or face the to shelf.

Comment

Working...
                              X