Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, crap. I knew something was fishy...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, crap. I knew something was fishy...

But it was approved by my FES.
    Let's go back to last night. Two minutes to close, we finally get the last of the stragglers into my line to check out... holy crap! Is that a tree she's dragging along with a stuffed full cart? Yup...
    I ring her up, she pulls out a checkbook. Nothing suspicious, until I tell her, "We'll need a driver's license to do a check." as a cautionary measure. I tell it to anyone I see pulling out a check, just in case they don't have it on them. As it is absolutely required to do a check.
    She snaps at me, "Yes! I know! I'm in here often enough. You don't have to tell me."
    Holy hell, calm down, it's a common enough occurrence that I just tell everybody now.
    She starts writing info on her check, in random ways, then hands me her check. Then her driver's license. Which is from Mississippi. Um. Okay... for a $180 something transaction. Hmm... I rewrite the important info, and run the check through the register. Register says, "No way, girfrien!" and spits out the receipt with "What to do when your check is declined." Which I hand to her, along with her check. She heads to the door, saying she'll be right back. Nothing in her hands. So, I watch her sister/accomplice/whatever as she wanders toward the candy cane display.

Girl comes back, has another check, claims it's from a different account. Starts writing the amount for the check into the Pay to line, which I point out, but she doesn't bother to fix. Then, she signs her name over the tracking info, and hands me the check, but not her Driver's license. I attempt to run it again, but the system continues to tell me that option is unavailable at this point. FES H happens to be nearby, signs the check herself, and accidentally presses the cash button. We give girl the stuff she 'bought' and I ring out her sister. She pays cash.

I got called in for a little three hour shift, due to three people NCNS'ing, and I'm really just there to cover lunch breaks. MOD J brings a copy of the check over to me and asks, "Does this look familiar?"
    "Yes, it's hard to forget the last customer of the night, particularly with how spectacularly bizarre the whole thing was..."
    J: "Well, the check's fake."
    *sarcasm* "Nooo!" */sarcasm*
    J: "The writing the amount in the pay to line, plus the signing over the tracking numbers, plus the driver's license from Mississippi all point to it. I want to personally verify any checks that come from Dallas myself. And I have no idea why H put it in as cash."
    Um, why? "I kinda figured something was off about it last night, but I couldn't just say, right out, Uh, no, scammer."
    J: "You'll get the check verification sheet, but I'll talk to H later."
    Nothing else was said about it until H was closing me out, and she said, "I'm sorry for that check last night..."
    "No biggie. Happens to the best of us."
    "I call murder on that!"
Working...
X