This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need drivers license numbers!

I work as a photographer/Cashier or whatever during the Spring and Fall..

Most people pay with a check, and I need a the license number. We have too many come back NSF.

SC: *Hands me a check with her order form*

Me: Can I get you license number please?

SC: 123456789

Me: Alabama license?

SC: Yes

Me: Alabama license have only 7 numbers

SC: Scoffs, storms off, rummages through purse attached to a strollers, stomps back and throws license down
    http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Donchya know, we can't be bothered to follow them darn rules.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

That's pretty good. She probably got pissed off at you knowing exactly how many characters an Alabama license has. I'm usually proud to show mine off, when asked, although that doesn't happen much any more. I really wish they would card me when I buy beer, but the grey hair must give away my age. I guess I'll have to start calling on Miss Clairol!

Comment

Quoth HappyFun Ball View Post
        Me: Alabama license have only 7 numbers

SC: Scoffs, storms off, rummages through purse attached to a strollers, stomps back and throws license down
        I wish we only had 7 numbers...here in WI we have 14 numbers
        "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

Virginia has 9 numbers - to represent social security numbers. You can either get your soc. sec. number put on it or a number that starts with a letter, and then have 8 numbers after that like: A12-34-5678

Comment

Illinois has their DL's set up with the first letter of the person's last name, then several numbers representing different things about the person.

It looks like this: B263-1655-2187 (No, this is not my driver's license number...it is Elwood Blues')
            Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

Quoth daleduke17 View Post
              Illinois has their DL's set up with the first letter of the person's last name, then several numbers representing different things about the person.

It looks like this: B263-1655-2187 (No, this is not my driver's license number...it is Elwood Blues')
              In New Hampshire it's similar:

MMABCYYDDS

MM is the two-digit birth month,
              A is the first letter of the last name,
              B is the last letter of the last name,
              C is the first letter of the first name,
              YY is the last two digits of birth year,
              DD is the two-digit birth day,
              and S is usually 1 unless someone has the same combination as you, etc.

I wish Vermont were more exciting...it's just an arbitrary 8-digit number.
              "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

Quoth chops View Post
                I wish Vermont were more exciting...it's just an arbitrary 8-digit number.
                Or if you're special, it's a 7 digit number with an A at the end in Vermont. Got that one from the ID guide we have at work.

Virginia has 9 numbers - to represent social security numbers. You can either get your soc. sec. number put on it or a number that starts with a letter, and then have 8 numbers after that like: A12-34-5678
                Today 12:33 PM
                Actually, Virginia no longer puts SSNs on licenses anymore. It's just a randomly generated 9 digit number with a letter at the beginning. I wasn't even given the option of using my SSN (which I wouldn't anyway). I was just told that they no longer put SSNs as the license number due to security reasons. I believe Massachusetts has also stopped using your SSN as a license number and will be eventually switching everybody's number over to an "S" number. These facts were also confirmed in the ID guide we have at work.
                Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

Let's see if I can describe it in a nonconfusing way:

A111-2223-3444

A - First letter of last name
                  111 - Soundex code for the part of the last name immediately after the first letter.
                  222 - Soundex code for some part of the first name (I think it is the first letter)
                  33 - Last two digits of the year of birth
                  444 - Day of the year you are born on if you are male. If you are female it is the day of the year plus 600.

Comment

Quoth daleduke17 View Post
                    Let's see if I can describe it in a nonconfusing way:

A111-2223-3444

A - First letter of last name
                    111 - Soundex code for the part of the last name immediately after the first letter.
                    222 - Soundex code for some part of the first name (I think it is the first letter)
                    33 - Last two digits of the year of birth
                    444 - Day of the year you are born on if you are male. If you are female it is the day of the year plus 600.
                    I should look that up in the ID book for giggles if I'm bored tomorrow.
                    Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

Quoth GolfCart34 View Post
                      I should look that up in the ID book for giggles if I'm bored tomorrow.
                      Awesome. The book I have here at work doesn't go into that much detail. I found that information one time on some website.

Comment

Checks at my store have to be in state as well as the ID. We also have an additional rule at our store that says we are not allowed to take checks if the number on the check is below 300. There's a good reason for this. It's because the majority of those checks were bouncing and one afternoon, when we were still Crooks Drugstore, a woman's account had nothing in it, though she insisted that she had been writing checks the whole day.

People still insist though that they write checks here all the time, but then if they did that they'd know the rules.

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                          GolfCart34 is correct. As of, I think 2003 or so, new or renewed Virginia ID's and DL's are not allowed to have SSN's on them.

I had a woman bitch at me about her ID just yesterday. In order to take a check, we need your ID, it doesn't matter if all of the information is on the check, or if you swear everything is correct, or if you've "traded here for YEARS!"...I still need an id issued by either the state or the ..military.

When people start writing checks, I tell them "when you are finished writing your check, I need your ID". Which usually stops the "oh crap, I forgot!" people. But not her, she seemed to think that she was going to be able to use her check anyway. Then she made a big show of searching her purse for her ID.

"I can see why people get backed up in here!". Because, obviously, that was my fault, that she didn't have her ID. Then she said..."well can I do anything else? like Charge card?" I told her of course. Which resulted in more fumbling in the wallet. She took it out and goes..."But I'd really prefer to use my check". Obviously, I wasn't letting her use the check because she hadn't expressed how much she WANTED to use it.

Almost all of the people I've had issues with involving checks have been older folks. Apparently, rules do not apply to them. (My grandmother is famous for this. But she's my grandmother, so I love her anyway).

I hate Christmas time. (At least from this side of the counter, that is)
                          you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops
                            We also have an additional rule at our store that says we are not allowed to take checks if the number on the check is below 300.
                            This is why many banks have taken to issuing checks with a starting number of, say, 1001 instead of the once-traditional 101. The last two banks I've dealt with started me off at 601 (or was it 501?) and 1001, respectively.
                            "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

My checks started with 1!! I'm on check number 6, maybe... since I can barely write a check to save my life, so they were all to pay for things in high school where they don't take debit card (which takes out of my checking account).
                              I'll have to keep that in mind in case I somehow forget my wallet at home and mysteriously still have my checkbook... an impossible scenario...
                              "When life gives you lemons, you give life a f---ing paper cut and then squeeze f---ing lemon juice on it, because life should give you something better than f---ing lemons."

Comment

Working...
                              X