Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

He must think that he is too good to read the manual. The tale of uber-suck.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He must think that he is too good to read the manual. The tale of uber-suck.

On Friday, this wealthy looking South African man come into the Hobbyshop and purchased a very expensive RC truck. He spent about $800.

He called in the next day and claimed he read the manual and did everything he could to get it started, but it just wouldn't start. So, Will (not real name), talked with him and found out that this guy didn't put any batteries in his reciever(his controller) and put the car battery in before he carged it. BTW, you can't run something on a dead battery and lack of batteries won't help you either. Again, BTW, that's the first thing that the manual tells you to do.

He brought it in a little later and said that it still wasn't working. So, my boyfriend and also our RC technician, replaced a bearing to keep it from slipping, replaced a glo plug(kinda like a spark plug, helps start engine), and drove it in the parking lot to make sure it was fixed. And he obviously didn't know how to break it in so he flooded his engine. The manual tells you how to properly break in your RC. It's not brain surgery, it just takes patience.

On Sunday, yesterday, he brought it back in and said that it was still slipping. BF tested it. It was indeed still slipping for some reason, so the BF told him that it was covered under warranty through the manufacturer and to read his warranty information and then contact them. (we can't cover the warranty because we'll get in trouble with our distributors and the company that makes the car)

This guy didn't want to do that and just wanted his money back. BF told him, "no." The guy got really pissed, left his truck here, and on the way out muttered something about his lawyer. I gave him the owner's business card.

We called the owner and told him what happened. Later, the owner recieved an e-mail from the guy saying that he had reported us to the better business bureau, called his lawyer, and wanted his money back. The owner called him and told him straight up, "We tested it in the parking lot several times and it was fine when we drove it. You obviously didn't read the manual. You left your truck in the store and if you don't pick it up by the end of the day I will donate it to charity in your name." The guy said he would be in this afternoon...joy.

He doesn't really have a case. It states clearly on the receipt and is posted in the store that we don't give refunds. Especially for RC trucks that have been opened and played with. Not only that, but Swordsman told him what the policy was when he bought it.

He told us a lot of things that were obvious lies. He didn't read his manual like he said he did, and he also told Will that he hadn't had the chance to run it when the body of the car was all torn up! If you didn't run it (and obviously flip it about 20 times) then what did you do with it? Endurace test it by rolling it down a cliff?

So, if he comes in later today, I'll update everybody. But, if he fails to come in, then my boyfriend gets a new RC for his collection.
    Check out my cosplay social group!
    http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

The normal "I don't want to read and would rather have Mommy hold my hand and show me" kind of SC. I hate manuals, but they come with whatever you buy for a reason. I personally think companies should charge SC's that pull this kind of crap. You all could be helping other customers with their purchase instead of dealing with some lazy-ass rabble who has no patience.

Comment

I think companies need to start distributing tests along with the manual. The test contains questions that can only be answered if you have thoroughly read the manual. Once completed, sign and date it, and send it to the company. If you get a passing grade, it's noted in the company computer. Then, and only then, are you authorized to receive tech support.
      A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
        I think companies need to start distributing tests along with the manual. The test contains questions that can only be answered if you have thoroughly read the manual. Once completed, sign and date it, and send it to the company. If you get a passing grade, it's noted in the company computer. Then, and only then, are you authorized to receive tech support.
        THAT is the BEST idea I have ever heard!

Comment

Damn...and I thought some of the model train people were bad. Nearly every year about this time, families buy the cheapest sets they can find, simply to put under the Christmas tree. I have a garage-sale LGB set under my tree, but I digress. These fools will buy the cheapest HO-scale set, usually Model Power, or Life-Like...set it up on the carpet, and then bitch when it doesn't run well.

First off, setting it up directly on carpet is a recipe for disaster. All sorts of dirt, pet hair, tree needles, and carpet nasties find their way into the motors, gumming them up. If you really want to do that, at least set it up on a square of thin plywood...

Second, when the set is taken out the next year, they usually come back and bitch that it doesn't run right. Uh, you probably have to clean the track and/or wheels. Those items tend to oxidize if not run for awhile.

Occasionally you get people who bitch about the quality of the set. Well, what did you expect? In many cases, compromises were made to keep the price down. After messing about with HO and N scale trains for 25 years, I know what to get--the only good sets are the Walthers Trainline, Athearn, and Kato lines. If I was going to give someone a set, I'd start with an Athearn F unit, a few freight cars, an MRC transformer (power pack) and a loop of Atlas nickel-silver track.

Then there are the Marklin folks. They sometimes get upset when local shops can't fix their locomotives, or that the repairs will take awhile. Marklin equipment runs on 3-rail (the center rail is actually little studs which contact a sliding shoe under the locomotive), and will *not* run with US-style equipment. As such, few people here run it, and many shops won't fix it.

If anybody's wondering, I've seen this scenario play out in various message boards and hobby shops over the years.
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Okay, update!

He had his wife come in to pick it up. she came in and stood at the counter. I stopped what I was doing and gave her my full attention. She waited and stared at me. I stared at her back. Around here, people usually just tell me what they want, they don't wait around until I ask ,"How can I help you?" I guess things are different in South Africa.

I had no doubt that it was her, but checked her ID anyway since the item was so expensive. She apoligized by saying, "He was just so frustrated with it..." Whatever.

The owner talked to her and told her that he wants him to have a good time with it, but he HAS to read the manual. He also told her in a polite way, that we KNOW when you lie to us about this kind of thing. We didn't just fall off of the turnip truck yesterday. And he gave her another business card and told her to have him call later so we could help him out.

I'm just glad he didn't come in here and try to give us any more of his crap because I nor anyone else who works here will take crap from anyone. We aren't that kind of store. We'll be nice, but don't dish it if you can't take it.

Comment

Quoth Gabrielle Proctor View Post
              Around here, people usually just tell me what they want, they don't wait around until I ask ,"How can I help you?" I guess things are different in South Africa.

I apologize on behalf of all South African's for that man's asshat behaviour. We're not normally like that.
              Also, wrt the woman standing there waiting, we generally do that yes *shamefaced*. I dunno, we seem to think it's rude to actually go up to someone and say "Hello, I need some help please".
              Case in point: Went to a KFC a few years ago, and there was NO-ONE behind the counter. No-one on the floor either. There were people that had come in 5 minutes before me, and they hadn't said a word. Just stood there, waiting...
              I waited about 5 minutes and got quite ticked off.
              So, loudmouth that I am, I said quite loudly "Hello! Some service would be nice please!"
              Turns out all the staff were having a gossip in the staff room, and got a chewing out from the manager.

So yes, we will generally stand there until your psychic feelers pick up that we want service. Sorry. I am trying to change that, but it's an uphill battle....
              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                I apologize on behalf of all South African's for that man's asshat behaviour. We're not normally like that.
                Also, wrt the woman standing there waiting, we generally do that yes *shamefaced*. I dunno, we seem to think it's rude to actually go up to someone and say "Hello, I need some help please".

So yes, we will generally stand there until your psychic feelers pick up that we want service. Sorry. I am trying to change that, but it's an uphill battle....
                There is no need to apologize. I didn't say it was a bad thing, it was just different...and a little weird. Really, it doesn't matter where the man was from, I only mentioned it so people reading could have a better mental picture. I don't think that there is anything wrong with south africans, we have a really nice family from south africa come in here all the time to purchase Schleich animal figures.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                  Damn...and I thought some of the model train people were bad. Nearly every year about this time, families buy the cheapest sets they can find, simply to put under the Christmas tree. I have a garage-sale LGB set under my tree, but I digress. These fools will buy the cheapest HO-scale set, usually Model Power, or Life-Like...set it up on the carpet, and then bitch when it doesn't run well.

Gahhh! We have that problem a lot too! It drives me bonkers! They don't do it as much with the trains, but the people who come in and buy those little toy "air-hogs" helicopters (we don't carry that brand, but we have helis like it) and then bitch when it doesn't do everything the commercial says it will.

Seriously, the "air-hogs" company should be fined for false advertising. They say it runs like a real RC helicopter. Whenever I see the commercial on TV I get sick. Why do these people have to make my job harder?

Know this, all who want to buy an RC helicopter: There's toy grade and then there's hobby grade. If you want your heli to be repairable, do aerobatics, fly up-side-down, and have forward control you want a HOBBY GRADE heli.
                  H-o-b-b-y G-r-a-d-e. And hobby grade is expensive. You want good results? You're going to have to pay good money! Don't bitch at me because you're cheap!

Comment

There is no need to apologize. I didn't say it was a bad thing, it was just different...and a little weird. Really, it doesn't matter where the man was from, I only mentioned it so people reading could have a better mental picture. I don't think that there is anything wrong with south africans, we have a really nice family from south africa come in here all the time to purchase Schleich animal figures.
                    LOL - no problems It was just weird to read of a SAfrican being sucky. We're normally too damn uptight to be sucky Obviously, suckiness crosses all races, creeds and borders!
                    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                      LOL - no problems It was just weird to read of a SAfrican being sucky. We're normally too damn uptight to be sucky Obviously, suckiness crosses all races, creeds and borders!
                      Yeah, totally! I know a lot of people will complain about American tourists. Even European movies poke fun at the self-absorbed, clueless, American traveler. But they don't realize that suckiness is not just an American thing. I've dealt with the worst from Europe, Russia, Africa, and Asia as far as tourists go. I think it's rather pretentious for anyone to just single out one demographic, but parade around like their shit doesn't stink. Like it doesn't apply to them too. I guarantee that all tourists are sucky no matter what their race, gender, creed, or waist size(not all americans are fat, people!).

Comment

Somewhat tangental to the thread, but I remember when Spinmasters put out their first few Air Hogs ground vehicles, monster trucks with the big air pump via the bumper...

You would not BELIEVE the number of returns we got on Christmas/Boxing day. We sold at least 75 (A big number for the tiny store) and had at least 25 returned defective. You would not believe the rage these people had.

Seriously. We can Repair, Replace, or Refund, but we can't turn back time and have Christmas morning over again. (And yeah, I said that loud enough for the lineup to hear. Got some dirty looks, but it did defuse most of the rage in the store.)

And, tangental; Yeah, the Spin Masters/Radio Shack El Cheapo 'helicopters' are crap. But I'm getting curious about the four-rotor electric jobbies I see advertised here and there. I know they're not fully hobby grade, but are they at least halfway decent?

Comment

Quoth Nutjob R/T View Post
                          And, tangental; Yeah, the Spin Masters/Radio Shack El Cheapo 'helicopters' are crap. But I'm getting curious about the four-rotor electric jobbies I see advertised here and there. I know they're not fully hobby grade, but are they at least halfway decent?
                          Four rotors? Errrrrr...I don't know if we carry that type of thing.

Comment

Around here, people usually just tell me what they want, they don't wait around until I ask ,"How can I help you?" I guess things are different in South Africa.
                            i actually do that a lot also (im not south African though)
                            i just don't really know when people are ready to serve me or not. and i always feel kinda rude when i just go up to them.

i also find that if im patent and wait for them instead of butting in i get WAY better service. works really well in a bar for some reason.

that and im usually never in a rush.
                            it's said that no sane person could bite another person and draw blood. I've done it before, but then again sanity has always been questionable in our family.

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
                              I second that!
                              You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X