This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wrong way to ask

So I've been a lurker for a while, but I knew as soon as I saw this happen that I needed to register so I could share the story. It's not particularly sucky or customer-ish, per ce, but... pretty stupid.

So I was walking down the street and I noticed a police officer standing on the corner. Being that I happen to have a great respect for them, I gave him a friendly smile and nod as I passed and he smiled back.

Now right as I'm passing, I notice this guy kinda sidling up to the officer. As he gets up to him he asks straight out, "Can I borrow your gun?"

I couldn't really hear what it was that had got the guy upset. He said something else, but he was speaking softly and I was too busy being at the sheer testicular fortitude of this guy. Whatever it was, though, this cop just gives him this look that could have reversed global warming and said "Sir, I would strongly advise you to keep walking."

Of course the guy got all defensive, saying "Hey, man, I was just joking about the gun thing."

"Sir, keep walking. NOW."

At that point, the guy just sorta slunk away looking all butthurt, without getting anything he wanted from the conversation. Which leads me to wonder seriously, what the heck was he thinking? I've known a couple of police officers and most of them are really nice guys who want to help people with their problems, but I wouldn't ask ANYONE in law enforcement to borrow his gun, joking or not, even if he was my best buddy. It wasn't like this officer was in a bad mood or anything either. There's just a right way and a very, very wrong way to ask one of them for help.
    You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

So many nutters

Looks like a new variant on a old game, I think it's called suicide by cop?
    ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
    Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

Jeepers, bit ballsy hey?? I would never ask a cop for his gun - he doesn't know what you're going to do with it! it's his work tool, for crying in a bucket!
      Cops have it hard enough as it is, without people trying to be smartasses....
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Yeah, they really hate it when you just dive for the gun, too.

Comment

Working concert security you become friends with a lot of cops. I don't know any of them that would take lightly to someone asking to borrow there gun. But when they have seen me dealing with a particularly unruly patron I have had them ask me if I can wait until I am carrying a gun.

Comment

Working...
          X