This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't care about you, just sell me my lottery

Okay, first a disclaimer, some people may find this story a bit gross, and I don't blame them, if I had anyone to call to let me leave, or keys to lock up the store I would have done so. Also I want to add that usually I am a very sanitary person I was my hands probably 10 or more times a shift, NOT including restroom trips, and usually keep a bottle of hand sanitizer by the register that I use every few customers.

Alright the story, I was working overnight at my last gas station job, and like an idiot I went in VERY sick. I had had a cough for a few weeks, and I figured it was due to all the smoking around my house, and the fact that I have a lot of throat related problems anyways. Well over the night things got far worse, I ended up getting coughing fits so bad that I would end up vomiting violently which led to a blood vessel or something busting in my nose, so I had a very bad nose bleed toward the end of the night. Just about every time it would slow I would end up back in the restroom and it would start again.
    So there I was all alone in the store, with this disgusting nose bleed and near constant cough, of course being a little after 5am there was no one to call to come and relieve me, since the manager was already on her way in and saw no need to rush. So I just sucked it up and apologized to every customer that came in, and kept the germ-x close at hand.
    Everything went okay until I got the worst SC of my life. It was about 5:15 or so and he wanted lottery scratch off tickets. So I rang him up and off he went, for 5 minutes. He came back in with a free ticket and wanted to cash it in, I told him sorry I can't do it until 6am ( the lottery terminal in Missouri shuts down at 2am and can't be turned back on until 6am.) He stood there and argued with me about it for 10 minutes, even refusing to let me leave and use the restroom, so I ended up having to stand there in the middle of a coughing fit which led to me puking in a trash can with blood streaming down my face. Did he care? Nope he bought more tickets and went out and scratched them, he continued this right up until 6am when he could cash in the tickets. The worst part though was that the guy won 100$ on one of the last tickets he bought and just had to shove it my face before he finally left.
    Now you may ask, why the hell didn't I throw this guy out? Well because I can be fired for it, at that company only the manager has the ability to kick people out, and even then they had to ask someone at the office first. The only exceptions were theft and violence.

Take a page from my playbook. First year back at the record store I had a pretty heinous case of the flu. Like, in bed for a week heinous. I was scheduled off Tuesday-Fri anyway because of finals, but it was mid-December, and there was no one else to cover my Saturday shift (as everyone was there already).

So I roll in on Saturday, doing much better, but still drained, and loopy from the cold medicine. I was working register, and even still, I was slowing down towards the end of my shift, in addition to the aforementioned physical drainage.

Apparently one woman had to comment on my somewhat diminished capacity by inquiring, none too politely, whether I was lazy, stupid, or both. I had just finished bagging her merchandise, and, still holding the bag open, coughed a loud, long, ragged cough into it, then handed it to her.

"I'm sorry. I have the flu. Have a good holiday."

I wish we had had a video camera, just so I could replay the look on her face.

Comment

i was actually wondering why you bothered puking in the trash can, i would have puked on him

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
        i was actually wondering why you bothered puking in the trash can, i would have puked on him
        Yeah but then she would have had to clean it off the counter and the floor...

Comment

Yeah, our counter was pretty wide so I would have most likely missed him and just given my self more to clean up

Comment

Some sacrifices are worth making...

Comment

no you see you lean on the counter so cover 1/2-3/4 the distance of the counter, putting you a good way over, let your self look really green then puke on the counter and his, shirt and his shoes, then when he leaves, and you puke again, cause you know you will, clean it up and write a note about it to the manager

Comment

Some people are such miserable wastes of skin that it makes ME want to puke.

I can sympathize. I had came down with something just awful, and lost my voice for 3 days (well, when I lose my voice, it's a blessing for most people!). I even attached a note to my name-tag saying "I am temporarily mute" or something. Customers were just irate with me and demanded I speak or would treat me like I was stupid. It got to the point where if I had to ask questions or whatever, I kept a piece of paper and a pen.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                  Some people are such miserable wastes of skin that it makes ME want to puke.

I can sympathize. I had came down with something just awful, and lost my voice for 3 days (well, when I lose my voice, it's a blessing for most people!). I even attached a note to my name-tag saying "I am temporarily mute" or something. Customers were just irate with me and demanded I speak or would treat me like I was stupid. It got to the point where if I had to ask questions or whatever, I kept a piece of paper and a pen.
                  I have had that happen quite a few times, it seems I loose my voice for at least a few weeks every year. I was working at a gas station that required you to greet the customer at the pump ( over intercom.) Well I was given special permission not to have to do this for the week. I has some crazy SC come in screaming at me about how I did not great her, I just kind of croaked that I could not talk, and she called me a liar and said she was calling my manager Well she never called my manager instead she called the head office and filled a formal complaint. It ended up I that my doctors notes had to be forwarded to the hr person to prove that I was indeed sick at the time. A week or two later she came in again to complain about the incident to my manager. Luckily my manger told her to hit the road.

Comment

Oh yes, I tried to speak, and I squeaked like a boy in puberty. And customers thought I was making that up, too. Yes, I love pretending to squeak like a 12 year old boy!

I hate people. I'm going to go dig a hole.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I've lost my voice from illness a few times too. And gotten flack from customers, calling me "Sickie" and generally being bitchy. Look honey, it's no fun talking like Marge Simpson and feeling like crud AND getting yelled at by nasty people. Have a little sympathy, maybe someday someone will treat you the same way.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Projectile Vomiting!! You Must Learn Projectile Vomiting!!
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I don't understand, even with a 24-Hr store, is why there is no set of store keys to lock up in case of emergency.

In a situation like you were in that night, it wouldn't seem like there could be anything worse than what you were dealing with, but what if you had been robbed? The last thing you are going to want to do, until the cops get there, is keep the door unlocked. Though logic would dictate that the perp would be long gone, it would be natural, and understandible, to fear he may come back in for some reason. If nothing else, you'd want to start regaining composure, without customers coming in, sucky or not.

But, I guess that shouldn't be a surprise with a company that requires employees to give customers a perky little greeting to gas customers over the intercom, and by the way you describe, makes it sound like it's the most important part of your job!

MIke
                        Meow.........

Comment

Actually I had two robberies with no keys to the store, but those are stories for different threads. It turned out the store keys were finally found a few weeks later, in a big box of mostly random keys my manager had locked in her desk.

Comment

This guy probably is broke all the time, but always has money for lottery tickets. I think I would have just said something like "Please excuse me for a minute, sir" while you had to go throw up. It's too bad people are so damned insensitive.

Comment

Hehe, yeah most of the people who but lottery are pretty poor, and are often on a set income like SSI. I also told him more than once that I needed to be excused, and he would just say oh I don't mind the coughing, just ring me up first

Comment

Working...
                              X