This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night of the Living Drunks

I knew it was going to be a bad shift when it started like this.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I started at 5pm. A female co-worker comes up to me.

CW: Customersruinmylife, can you follow me to the ladies toilets?
    Me: Uhh...OK.

We enter. It is empty, except for a single cubicle with the door shut.

CW: Listen.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Me: Oh you have got to be kidding me!
    CW: What should we do?
    Me: I'll open the door, then you give her a nudge.
    CW: I don't know if I can!
    Me: Well, I'm male! I can't go into a female cubicle and shake a woman on the toilet!
    CW: I don't know...
    Me: OK.

I open the door, I jump in, basically shove the drunk woman and jump out again.

SC: Huh...what's happening? Where am I?
    CW: You can't sleep in here ma'am!
    SC: Wha...what's happening?
    CW: Can you please...finish up and go?

The drunk woman stumbles out and sways out of the bar.

5pm...oh dear, what a start.

I can hear you!

I was in the middle of helping a customer out. The customer had put about £20 into a quiz machine and it decided to crash on him. I was making sure he got his money back and was putting a note in the register. Two women are stood in front of the register.

Me: I'll be with you in just a second.
    W1: What is he doing?
    W2: I can tell you what he's not doing! Serving us!
    W1: I know, he's keeping us waiting!
    W2: He musn't be very good at his job keeping us waiting!

Yes, that's right, annoy me. That will get you served quicker. I finished helping my customer and ignored them and went to the customer next to them.

W1: And he serves someone who came here after us!

No friends allowed!

A regular customer came up to the bar. We love this regular, he is very friendly, he takes the time to get to know everyone, and chats with us at the bar as we serve.

R: So how was the Christmas party?
    Me: It was fantastic, we all had a really good time...
    SC: EXCUSE ME! YOU ARE NOT PAID TO TALK!

Now, I must note, at no point during this, was I stood still or not doing anything. I was working while I spoke. Apparently we are not allowed to be friendly towards our customers.

"Educated" Students

I don't know how many people will be aware of this, but in the UK, they are bringing in more and more laws to curb drinking and anti-social behaviour. The latest is that they are sending undercover police into bars to spy on the staff, and fine them if they serve someone who is drunk. So, we are VERY cautious about who we serve now.

A group of students come in, and they are wasted.

Me: I'm sorry, but I'm not going to serve any of you, you have all had too much.
    Student: Excuse me, but we will tell you when we have had enough!
    Me: I'm sorry, no service.
    Student: I know the LAW! We...are...not...drunk...
    Me: Then why are half your friends propping each other up?

A few of the staff relented and served them, which I was annoyed about, and the students went insane, they were running around, and then they started ripping things off the walls and started pulling apart the Christmas tree.

The manager walked out.

Manager: Customerruinmylife, call time. WE ARE CLOSING!

He walked around, basically grabbing the students by the scruff of their necks and dropping them into the street.

Taxi Man

We closed an hour early due to the drunken people. We got everyone out and locked the door.

KNOCK KNOCK!

I go to the door, three middle aged customers are stood there.

SC: Well! Are you going to let us in or not?
    Me: We're closed.
    SC: YOU ARE NOT!
    Me: I'm afraid there have been several incidents tonight and we have had to close.
    SC: YOU ARE NOT CLOSED!
    Me: I'm afraid we are.
    SC: I PAID FOR A TAXI TO GET HERE AND I DEMAND YOU LET US IN!
    Me: The bar across the street is still open...
    SC: I PAID FOR A TAXI TO GET HERE! NOW YOU EITHER LET ME IN OR PAY FOR MY TAXI!
    Me: I'm afraid neither of those are going to happen.
    SC: WELL THEN GET ME THE MANAGER!
    Me: I am the manager. (I love lying)
    SC: WELL LET US IN!
    Me: No. I have a lot of work to do.

I left, they stood at the door for 40 minutes! I know that because they were still there when we finished cleaning the place and were sat down having our own drinks!

I hope that you raised a glass in toast to their persistence as they stared forlornly at the locked doors!
    My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

re: Night of the Living Drunks

I saw the "Night of the Living Drunks" and my first thought was

"Damn, you must be talking about my wife's family."

Only family I know of that has a "Drinking shed"
      Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
        The literal-minded bitch in me might have had some fun with that one.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I don't understand why you had to close the whole establishment instead of just kicking the offenders out.
          Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Re-read the incident, and you'll find out why. The students *trashed* the place. Pulling stuff off walls, and ripped apart the Christmas tree. They wanted the time to clean up in peace and quiet.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I can hear you!

I was in the middle of helping a customer out. The customer had put about £20 into a quiz machine and it decided to crash on him. I was making sure he got his money back and was putting a note in the register. Two women are stood in front of the register.

Me: I'll be with you in just a second.
              W1: What is he doing?
              W2: I can tell you what he's not doing! Serving us!
              W1: I know, he's keeping us waiting!
              W2: He musn't be very good at his job keeping us waiting!

Yes, that's right, annoy me. That will get you served quicker. I finished helping my customer and ignored them and went to the customer next to them.

W1: And he serves someone who came here after us!
              GAH, I flippin HATE when people talk about you like you're not standing right in front of them.
              My Wajas cave

Comment

Where exactly in the UK do you live? Your posts lead me to believe you deal with the single worst people on the entire planet. Your posts actually scare me

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                  The literal-minded bitch in me might have had some fun with that one.
                  I'd have started making up sign language just to mess with that bitch.
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Actually ma'am, I am. That's part of my job description.
                    Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                      I'd have started making up sign language just to mess with that bitch.
                      I'd start mimicing her in sign language, but that's just me. Actually last night I signed something rude about an SC behind her back.

Comment

Over here in the U.S(well in my neck of the woods anyway), if we serve alcohol of any kind, we have to take a Safe Serve test to make sure we know not to sell alcohol to drunks who might come back and sue us or something like that. Anyway, we were warned about undercover agents who may come in to where we work to make sure we were 'serving responsibly'.

Comment

Quoth starla671 View Post
                          we were warned about undercover agents who may come in to where we work to make sure we were 'serving responsibly'.
                          How do they do that? Turn up drunk and arrest you if you serve them? That sounds like a great job!

(I'm not drunk right now, it just sounds like it because I worked 4pm-10pm yesterday and 8am-2pm today)

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                            How do they do that? Turn up drunk and arrest you if you serve them? That sounds like a great job!

(I'm not drunk right now, it just sounds like it because I worked 4pm-10pm yesterday and 8am-2pm today)
                            Usually they will come in and observe the servers, and look for the warning signs that we are also trained to use, if they see an apparent violation, it is good by job usually.
                            It has been almost 7 years since my last waitressing job at a place to serve liquor, but from what I remember back then we were supposed to use this 3 light system. Set up just like a stop light. Green no signs of being impaired, go ahead and serve. yellow was something like slightly slurred speech, and some swaying or what have you, I think they recommended to refuse alcohol sales then and offer free coffee or water. Red well slobbering drunk immediately cease sales and even remove any alcoholic beverages the person may still have, ask if he has a ride home, if not call a taxi, at the establishments expense.
                            I believe those where just the policy that the company had then, i have no idea if they are still in use there or not.

Comment

Working...
                            X