This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting himself in the foot over cigarettes

OK. I worked midnight shift last night, which I loathe.

About 12:30 I have someone come in and ask for cigarettes. Of course I ask for ID.

I look at the ID a little and notice some little what looks like marks of copper on it... I figure it's nothing problematic like a fake or something.

I get the cigarettes and scan the ID as we are required to now. Everything checks out alright. I start ringing up the sale and he then says this:

"It expired 2 days ago"

I hit the cancel sale button and tell him flat out I can't complete the sale now that he's told me that it's an expired license.

He starts arguing with me about the fact he's 28 and that it's only been 2 days. He says "Well I'll send my girlfriend in" I tell him I can't make a second party sale.

After a few minutes of arguing the point and telling me that I should make the sale to him because he's 28 and the license is ONLY 2 days expired that I couldn't sell his girl HIS cigarettes he finally says "well they are hers anyways" and I tell him "if that's the case then I can make the sale"

He goes out to the car and SURPRISE SURPRISE his girl doesn't have HER ID...

He gets into the car which she is driving, and starts punching the dash board in anger.

I swear to god I've never seen someone over react like that. I know it happens but this is the first time I've ever personally seen it.

Haha, because driving a mile or two to the next gas station / 7-11 / whathaveyou to try his luck again, is just too bloody difficult.

Comment

Because clearly you're the only store that sells cigarettes and his anger was justified.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
        Because clearly you're the only store that sells cigarettes and his anger was justified.
        And his girlfriend shouldn't need her DL if she is driving...
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

That's the worst you ever saw?

I saw many an angry customer get back in the car, punching the wheel, the dashboard, giving me the finger, faring their arms, screaming with their mouth wide agape...
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Slightly off topic, but I'm somewhat confused as to why the DL needs to be in date to be used to buy things. When the license expires, only his right to drive a vehicle has expired, so why can't it be used to provide proof of age?

--Dave

Comment

I once had this:

Me: "Do you have ID?"
              SC: "No but you can sell it to me anyway."
              Me: "No I can't, now that I've asked I have to see it."
              SC: "FUCK YOU JUST BECAUSE I HAVE ACNE YOU'RE DISCRIMINATING AGAINST ME FUCK THIS FUCK YOU FUCK OFF YOU FUCKER!"

Strange how they sometimes think having a two-year-old's tantrum will prove they're a legal adult...

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                Strange how they sometimes think having a two-year-old's tantrum will prove they're a legal adult...
                Or just plain laughable.

If anyone ever went off on me like that, I'd most likely stand there in shock for a few seconds, then just bust out laughing.

Comment

Quoth Dave0523 View Post
                  Slightly off topic, but I'm somewhat confused as to why the DL needs to be in date to be used to buy things. When the license expires, only his right to drive a vehicle has expired, so why can't it be used to provide proof of age?

--Dave
                  Because they have to provide a VALID form of I.D.

As in not expired.

Store policy, and state mandated too.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                    SC: "FUCK YOU JUST BECAUSE I HAVE ACNE YOU'RE DISCRIMINATING AGAINST ME FUCK THIS FUCK YOU FUCK OFF YOU FUCKER!"
                    "Wow, listen to you, dropping F-bombs left and right! You must be a grown-up! Here, I'll sell them to you now that you've proved how grown up you are."

Not.

Some folks think that excessive swearing is a sign of maturity. I think it's the exact opposite.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Namrepus221 View Post
                      Because they have to provide a VALID form of I.D.

As in not expired.

Store policy, and state mandated too.
                      Precisely. I seem to recall hearing a while back that some service station here in town got busted because a tester went in and bought cigs with an expired license. And around here... well, let's just say that clerk probably lost their job, and will never be allowed to sell tobacco again, at least in this state. The police here don't mess around when it comes to enforcing the sales laws on tobacco and alcohol.
                      Dealer hits... 21. Table loses.

This happens more often than most people want to believe.

Comment

Quoth Dave0523 View Post

--Dave
                        More specifically to this case: Some places don't take and destroy expired IDs when the owner gets them renewed. Or, if they do now, they didn't used to, so the law went on the books to keep people from using the nicked IDs of older siblings and whatnot to get into clubs, get booze, and get cigarettes.

Comment

Quoth Shengirl View Post
                          More specifically to this case: Some places don't take and destroy expired IDs when the owner gets them renewed. Or, if they do now, they didn't used to, so the law went on the books to keep people from using the nicked IDs of older siblings and whatnot to get into clubs, get booze, and get cigarettes.
                          Yep, this is exactly why this sort of thing is problematic, my mother is one of those pack rat types, and she used to keep every danged one of her expired licenses, going back like 20 years, until they started destroying the old ones. She would have 6 or 7 old drivers licenses in her wallet at any given time, it would be easy for anyone to swipe one of the newer ones and use it.

Comment

Quoth theredbaron47 View Post
                            Or just plain laughable.

If anyone ever went off on me like that, I'd most likely stand there in shock for a few seconds, then just bust out laughing.
                            Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction, he'd left by the time the laughter hit me.

Quoth XCashier View Post
                            "Wow, listen to you, dropping F-bombs left and right! You must be a grown-up! Here, I'll sell them to you now that you've proved how grown up you are."

Not.

Some folks think that excessive swearing is a sign of maturity. I think it's the exact opposite.
                            The f-bomb's a great exclamation point but a lousy comma.

Comment

Well I caught another one Sunday!

Lady comes in wants to buy a gift card and pre pay gas witha check.

Now she just hands me the check. I tell her I can't fill it out for her because we don't do that.

I tell her I need to see ID as well because it's a check purchase. She opens up this little pink flip wallet and flashes the ID for like a second or 2. Just enough time to see teh picture and her residence. She says "It's my maiden name" of course I didnt' catch it even if it was. Of course she also only fills out part of the check again and hands it back to me and I tell her again she has to fill it out entirely because our check machine will not fill any part of it out for her.

I'm activating the gift card and something strikes me as strange.... I've never seen an ID that looked like that... I ask to see it again for a moment just to make sure she's not trying to pass an out of state check.

The damn thing expired in 1991 16 freakin years ago

I void the sale, tell her I cannot and will not accept her check because of the ID and she leaves.

After thinking about it I shouldn't have even let it get that far because we aren't allowed to take checks over $50 either.

Comment

Working...
                              X