This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why, yes, we absolutely do need that particular bit of identity

Had a customer and her daughter in today (both above teenage years). Bought roughly $150 worth of random Christmas crap. Older woman starts making out a check. I do my usual, "We'll need a driver's license to do a check."
    Woman grunts, which I take for acceptance. Woman finishes check, slides it to me, along with a State Issued ID, not a Driver's license.
    RJ: "Er, I don't think I can take this for your check."
    "WHAT!"
    RJ: "I need a valid driver's license for your check..."
    "I don't have one, it was stolen."
    RJ: *cringe* "I'm sorry, but we need a driver's license, company policy, I'm pretty certain."
    "Well, call a manager to make sure!"
    RJ: "Certainly, H? *who, by the way is standing at the register in front of me* We need a Driver's license to do a check, right?"
    H: *in her poor, poor sick, scratchy voice* "Yup."
    RJ: "Thought so, thanks. *to woman* I can't take your check."
    "Well, fine, I'll just have her write a check, and I'll write one to her."
    RJ: Whatever floats your boat, miss.
    W2 starts writing check, hands it to me, along with her driver's license (huzzah, I don't have to smack her for being just as stupid as her mom!) However, I notice her address on the license and on the check don't match. Oh crap. *on intercom* "MOD to my lane"
    MOD S comes to my lane, and I have him verify the check (necessary on any check over $100 anyway, so...)
    S looks at the check, asks about the address differences, and signs the check. Oh, that'd be great fun to find out it's not a valid check.
    "I call murder on that!"

More of an aside but how do you verify ID for non drivers?
    ludo ergo sum

Comment

Haven't had it come up yet, so, I don't know.
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I think most places HAVE to take a state ID as valid proof of identity, since some people cannot drive or don't do so for valid reasons (Amish, for example). However, she was breaking the law by possessing both a driver's license and a state issued ID at the same time- if she did, which I doubt, probably made up the stolen license bit.
        My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

My store (which I've suspected as being the same one as Juwl's) accepts any form of state ID (including passports, driver's license, state ID, military ID). When people write checks, someone probably uses an ID in lieu of DL probably once out of every 15 or so checks. So it's not that common, but it happens enough that it'd be stupid enough for us to deny people who use IDs.

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
            However, she was breaking the law by possessing both a driver's license and a state issued ID at the same time-
            No, Mom had the ID, daughter had the DL. They were two separate people.
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

No I mean before it was supposedly stolen- if she applied for the state ID AFTER her license was stolen, she could have just gotten a new license, so she must have had both at the same time (or by stolen she meant her DL was taken by the cops for repeat DUI or something)
              My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                However, I notice her address on the license and on the check don't match. Oh crap.
                Hmm...I rarely use checks outside of paying bills and rent, but I'd never thought of that. My driver's license hasn't been renewed since I moved out of my parents' house, but since I still get mail and packages delivered there, I never thought to get the address changed. This is especially because I keep thinking I'm going to move out of my apartment, but haven't had the time to find somewhere new to live. However, for the sake of my rent and bill payments, which are sent to my apartment, I have my address on my checks. Guess I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever pay with a check in store where they need a license as well.
                "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I don't think that I'd shop at your place, Juwl, back before I got my DL. All I had as a state-issued picture ID.

And yes, I wrote checks back then, too...but all filled out except for the amount and my siggy.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I once had an old(er) woman write a check and forget her DL in her car. I told her that it was absolutely necessary for me to accept the check. She had been pleasant up until that point, telling me it was her anniversary. I was apologetic, but firm. She grumbled about how she was in a hurry and asking, "Can't you just take my check?" I really can't, so she went out to her car to get it. She came back inside VERY angry, complaining that I was ruining her anniversary! And she was in a huge hurry! And I was keeping her from making dinner from her husband! And on and on and on!

Is this the first time you've written a check, ma'am? As far as I know, they're virtually always necessary, at least in retail stores. And if you're in such a mad hurry, shouldn't you have planned and managed your time better anyway? Sigh. Sometimes I think people just like to yell.

Comment

Quoth Listerfiend View Post
                      My store (which I've suspected as being the same one as Juwl's) accepts any form of state ID (including passports, driver's license, state ID, military ID). When people write checks, someone probably uses an ID in lieu of DL probably once out of every 15 or so checks. So it's not that common, but it happens enough that it'd be stupid enough for us to deny people who use IDs.

I lost my license for a few years, due to having a high level of moving violations. so I used to carry just a state ID. The only major difference between state ID's and Licenses is one authorizes you to operate a motor vehicle. Otherwise, they are the same thing.
                      Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

my bf has a bit of a vision problem resulting in his non driving status. He has a state issued ID which is exactly like a drivers license, its just for people who cannot or do not want to drive for some reason. We have never had a problem - because there is no problem. Think about it ... here in California my BF would have to take a physical driving test to get his FIRST license, he can move around pretty well, but I'd hate to be the person in the car with him. So now he can't write a check because he'd probably take out a few pedestrians if he drove?

I'm pretty sure a store that takes a drivers license for ID but not a state issued identification, would have some real issues - not to mention the social problems; a significant number of people with state IDs are in a lower socio-economic status.

It sounds more like a misunderstanding concerning policy then an SC, and if it is story policy they'd better cross their fingers that they don't come across a disabled individual itching for a lawsuit.

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
                          However, she was breaking the law by possessing both a driver's license and a state issued ID at the same time
                          Is this state or federal law? I've honestly never have heard of this.

Here in California, State ID and Drivers License have the same number on them, so if someone asks for your DL number, and you only have an ID, you just write down the ID. I've carried both for years.

Comment

Agreed: if it's a store policy not to take the non-driver's state-issued equivalent of a driver's licence, that store is in trouble.

I'm certain noone would want my blind friend to have a driver's licence.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

That's weird I've never heard of a state ID not being acceptable. Unless purchasing alcohol--which go figure with that one!
                              It should be Passport, military ID, State ID and DL as the forms of ID. Atleast thats how we work. That's weird... I think I would be mad too. I know its your store's policy but wow thats different.

Comment

Working...
                              X