This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An SC moment that wasn't....

Today, I had the perfect opportunity to be a complete SC.

I had been back from vacation for a week, and while on vacation, I was very meticulous about keeping track of my expenses. (My Visa is my check card, so basically everything I spent came right out of my bank account.) But today when I got online and looked at my account to make sure it jibed with my checkbook....it didn't. And I mean it didn't in a big way. As in it said I was overdrawn.

So, I immediately drove on down to my bank's main branch. THIS is the point where an SC would have gone marching in there, pissing and moaning about getting ripped off, causing a scene, and being a total asshole, in the process probably not getting any answers to his questions. But of course...I am not an SC. I politely asked to see whoever I needed to see, was shortly ushered into one of the representative's office, and calmly explained my situation. She offered me the use of their in-branch computer to go over my account vs. my checkbook and to make sure everything tallied, even providing me her own personal caculator to make sure everything came out alright.

So, I took a good 20 minutes to go over everything....and then I found it. A large purchase I made in Ohio that I had not recorded, because (dopey me) I had put the charge slip in the bag, the bag in the Jestermobile, and promptly forgot about entering it into my register. Oops! How embarrassing.

But because I had been so polite about it, the rep agreed to waive the overdraw fee, which they would have done if they had been in error, but since it was MY error, they did not have to do that. Anyone want to bet that an SC probably would NOT have gotten that fee waived?

Let this be a lesson to the potential SC's of the world.....all your yelling and screaming and entitlement issues and carrying on and asshattery does not get you nearly as far as would a calm, polite disposition. Like, say, mine.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

I have found, in several instances throughout my life thus far, that every single time I have wanted to get good and wound up at someone, I don't have the full information.

It's always well worth, before getting all puffed up and angry over something, calmly finding out if the situation really is as you understand it to be. Thus far, it has not once been.

Comment

Exactly--and besides, when you're polite and calm, it discombobulates the CSR and you end up getting some spectacular service just because they're in shock.

Comment

Quoth Brighid45 View Post
        Exactly--and besides, when you're polite and calm, it discombobulates the CSR and you end up getting some spectacular service just because they're in shock.
        Not in this case...the rep knew me. Being a magician in relatively small tourist town, I tend to be relatively well-known. Not necessarily well-liked all the time, but definitely well-known.

Still A Customer."

Comment

How's that saying go? "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar?"
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth heathermv
            Oh so true

Comment

Quoth heathermv View Post
              This is very true, and goes way beyond just shopping or dealing with customer service. I have gotten out of a lot of bad spots with police officers merely by being polite. I have a very simple philosophy....my vocabular with the police is limited. "Yes, sir." "No, sir." "Yes, ma'am." "No, ma'am." Four words, mix and match them as you like. It works.

Of course, on the opposite side, I have seen some serious asshats who probably had done nothing that deserved more than a warning or just to walk away, but they are such complete asshats, they find themselves eventually getting cuffed and stuffed. Serves 'em right for being such tools.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth heathermv View Post
                Though you do catch stupid kids with vinegar.

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
                  Though you do catch stupid kids with vinegar.
                  Well, I guess the monitor needed cleaning, anway...
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I often wonder if someone is taking things off of my desk at work. I have to remind myself to search more than just a glance here & there & guess what? I've found the item EVERY TIME. That's right, I apparently misplace a LOT of things & forget that I moved them. It's not always easy being calm, but it is better that way.
                    The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

I got out of a speeding ticket once by being nice.

It was my first ticket. I had committed the sin of going 5 over the limit and was busted. It was the typical way that small towns generate the revinue to pay the saleries of thier officers, but being my first ticket it scared the crap out of me.

SO there I am getting the song and dance from the officer, he points out the court date several times on the ticket. I'm sure he explained that I could have just paid for the damn thing and get it over with but I freaked and locked on the phrase "court date"

I go to court, cash in hand (a whopping $35) and I wait for my case to come up in court. I'm geting more and more scared since the judge didn't look like he wanted to be there and everyone had an excuse as to why they should get off scott free. Every excuse that wafted into the judge's ears made the scowl ever more frightening.

Did I mention that I was 17, had my license for only 2 months and was scared?

Anyway he calls out my case and I'm 0.68 seconds from venting nitrogenous waste. He looks right at me and says "What's your excuse?"

"I have none your honor. I was caught speeding at 5 over the limit. I'm here to pay my fine."

<blink blink>"Then why are you here?"

"Uhm, because the officer told me that today was my court date and so here I am."

At this point I'm really scared beyond belief because this hanging judge (based on he dispensation of punishment to the other people in the court) is now rubbing his eyes with one hand in that universal sign of "What an freaking NEWB!"

"Son, that court date is only if you wanted to contest the charge. It's for if you didn't think you were speeding or..."

"But I was speeding. I just wasn't paying attention to the new speed limit sign."

<raised eyebrow>" Let me see the ticket." I hand it over to the bailif who hands it to the judge. "Next time keep it below the limit, pay more attention to the signs, I'm dropping the charge, case dismissed, <bangs gavel> NEXT!"

I'm guessing that the only thing that saved me was my ignorance, my non-sucky attitude, and the fact that I was the only one who didn't try to pull a lame excuse out of my rectally mounted replicator.

Being polite can get you a hell of a lot farther than being an arsehole
                      I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                        "I have none your honor. I was caught speeding at 5 over the limit. I'm here to pay my fine."

<blink blink>"Then why are you here?"

"Uhm, because the officer told me that today was my court date and so here I am."

At this point I'm really scared beyond belief because this hanging judge (based on he dispensation of punishment to the other people in the court) is now rubbing his eyes with one hand in that universal sign of "What an freaking NEWB!"
                        I'm sorry, but this is one of the funniest things I've read lately. The best part is I could completely see myself doing the exact same thing.

Luckily, I just take the bus, so I'm not really in any danger of getting a speeding ticket.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                        X