Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How dare I inconvenience my customers?? (longish)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How dare I inconvenience my customers?? (longish)

So, I work in a video rental place, and we have very strict rules who we can rent to. Last week these two 15 year old-ish girls come into my store and pick out a movie. They come up to my register with their rentals, and try to rent on their grandparents account. Here's where the rules come in. Anybody can rent on a given account as long as the primary account holder has listed their names as approved renters. And, you guessed it, they weren't listed. I explained to them that I could not rent to them without their grandparents ok. One of the brats pipes up with "That’s ridiculous, we just rented here yesterday!" I went on to explain to them that one of my co-workers had just lost her job for breaking that rule (a half truth, that was only one of the reasons in a long list of why she was fired) and I would not risk my job to bend the rules for them. Then (silly me) I offered to confirm with their grandparents over the phone that they could rent. The aforementioned brat gets all huffy and says, "Well, I don't have their phone number, so I'm going to have to call my mother in California (side note: I'm on the other side of the country) and get the number from her to call them." At this point I've already pulled up her grandparents account info, and have their # on the screen in front of me, but they are seriously pi$$ing me off, so I don't tell them this and make them call CA anyway. So the brat tells me what a horrible inconvenience this is for her and gives me so much attitude I could have choked on it. Finally the brat gets through to her grandparents, and I take the phone from her and explain the sitch to one of the nicest older gentlemen I've ever spoken to on the phone (At this point I question how these two are related) and he gives me permission to rent to her. OK, so you think this would be the end of it, but today her mother came in to return her movies (I guess she must have flown in or something) Her mother comes up to me and says "Excuse me, but my daughter rented these last weekend and she was treated very rudely by whomever was working here, would you please tell your manager that we are extremely upset?" Of course I will!! (yeah right)
    Our brains are smarter than we think they am!

Oh yeah, I forgot, It took both of them about five minutes (working together) to figure out how to use the phone to call their mother. I mean, if there is one thing that stupid stuck up 15 year olds should be good at it's using a phone right?

Comment

"Inconvenience" has to be one of the most annoying words in retail. I hate the connotation behind that term. It is a lack of convenience. Life is not convenient. My working here to give you such convenience in obtaining whatever product or service you're seeking today is not very convenient for me--I'd rather be at home reading or working on one of my many hobbies. If you're not friendly to me, I have no reason to make your life any more convenient.
      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
      - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
        "Inconvenience" has to be one of the most annoying words in retail. I hate the connotation behind that term. It is a lack of convenience. Life is not convenient. My working here to give you such convenience in obtaining whatever product or service you're seeking today is not very convenient for me--I'd rather be at home reading or working on one of my many hobbies. If you're not friendly to me, I have no reason to make your life any more convenient.
        Exactly what I was thinking!
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth ladyklack View Post
          Oh yeah, I forgot, It took both of them about five minutes (working together) to figure out how to use the phone to call their mother. I mean, if there is one thing that stupid stuck up 15 year olds should be good at it's using a phone right?
          They were probably trying to have it work out that they couldn't get ahold of her, or something.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglĂ³id

Comment

I can totally sympathize with you. I also work in a video rental place and we have this same problem. Our policy is a bit different...as long as they have a family member's card (used to rent), we will rent to them assuming they have permission. If they didn't get permission, it is the cardholder's responsibility to safeguard their card better.

Anyways, often I get teenagers wanting to use their parents' account, but they have no card. They expect me to look it up for them. When I tell them no, I will get one of the following:
            -"This is so gay!"
            -"This is soooo retarded!"

I get a sick sense of pleasure watching them walk out disappointed. They should realize we aren't going to rent to anyone without proof of identity/account card.

Comment

Quoth obod7x7 View Post
              I get a sick sense of pleasure watching them walk out disappointed. They should realize we aren't going to rent to anyone without proof of identity/account card.
              I'll admit that one of the highlights of my day is when a kid/teenager knows that they are NOT listed on their parents account so they try to give me thier parents/older siblings name as their own. It's wicked obvious and I love calling them on it and refusing to rent to them!

Comment

Quoth ladyklack View Post
                Her mother comes up to me and says "Excuse me, but my daughter rented these last weekend and she was treated very rudely by whomever was working here, would you please tell your manager that we are extremely upset?" Of course I will!! (yeah right)

It's it nice how in the retail world the word rude substitutes for the phrase "I didn't get my way".

Comment

I feel you on this, ladyklack. In the cell phone store, we routinely get teenagers trying to upgrade their phones without their parents knowledge or permission. Hello, rules! If their parents don't deem them trustworthy enough to be listed as an authorized signer, who am I to argue?

This is especially comical when they have broken their phone and don't want to tell mommy or daddy. The reactions I have gotten when telling them that the account holder must be present have ranged from attitude similar to what you describe to whining to one actual attempt at bribery. For the record, unless you can pay all my bills until I can find a new job (and rest assured I'll take my time looking), you don't have enough money to bribe me.
                  Dips: The best karma happens when you let a jerk bash themselves senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

Quoth obod7x7 View Post
                    Anyways, often I get teenagers wanting to use their parents' account, but they have no card. They expect me to look it up for them. When I tell them no, I will get one of the following:
                    -"This is so gay!"
                    -"This is soooo retarded!"
                    What our movies do in the privacy of our store is none of your business.
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                    X