This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slip of the tongue

Have customers or coworkers ever misunderstood what you said? Any interesting reactions? Here's two of mine:

Fist the sucky
    Me: Come on, follow along now
    SC: Mr. Jump the Gun and Assume the Worst Guy

Me: Cashing out Mr. Jump "That'll be $9.42" (said in my standard, pleasant CS voice)
    SC: "WHAT did you say?!" Doing his best to sound aggravated
    Me: *blink* "Um, $9.42?"
    SC: In a sarcastic voice, mimics me "GIVE ME $9.42!?"
    Me: "Um, no. I said That will be $9.42"
    SC: More stern look
    Me: Halfheartedly laughs. "Sorry, sometimes I talk quick. I didn't mean for it to sound that way."
    SC: "Uh Huh. You know, some cashiers have actually told me to just 'Give them' money, which is awfully rude" (kinda like the rude, smarmy voice he was using with me)
    Me: ..."Yeah that's awful. Here's xxx change. Have a nice night" (Grinning fakely).

The guy had actually spoken longer about how "other" cashiers could be so rude sometimes. I tried not to take it personally and made sure I added extra fake cheer so he wouldn't take offense. Some people are too sensitive. Sheesh.

Then for kicks
    Coworker L occassionally wears knee-high boots with heels. Now I myself don't understand how anyone can stay on their feet an entire shift in heels, but that's besides the point. They are neat boots. So during one shift I called out to her "Hey L, nice kicks" She called back "Thanks"

Apparently a couple guys nearby (both customers) heard the conversation and thought I was referring to another part of her, um, anatomy. When they asked L, she told them that 1) I said "kicks" as in reference to her boots and 2) She had her back to me, so I couldn't have been remarking on her upper bits.

Now whenever I work with L, she tells me how I missed her the other day when she was wearing her boots, or she makes a point of showing me when she wears them.

'Tis all for now. Enjoy the day. Or night. Or whatever.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
    Fist the sucky
    tish, i know. one lady had a conniptions fit because i said hello and not good evening madam, "it is very insulting!".
    er, your on the drive thru, about 5 meters from my window. i wouldn't know if you were a lady or a hippo wearing a flaming pink hat. and who uses madam now a days?! settle now.
    it's said that no sane person could bite another person and draw blood. I've done it before, but then again sanity has always been questionable in our family.

Comment

I just realized I typed "Fist" the sucky. Sounds like I sucker-punched the guy.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Slow-Jo View Post
        tish, i know. one lady had a conniptions fit because i said hello and not good evening madam, "it is very insulting!".
        er, your on the drive thru, about 5 meters from my window. i wouldn't know if you were a lady or a hippo wearing a flaming pink hat. and who uses madam now a days?! settle now.
        No, I haven't gotten around to being "very insulting" yet. You just got here. Give me a couple of minutes to get warmed up.

I just realized I typed "Fist" the sucky. Sounds like I sucker-punched the guy.
        Maybe you should have. You know, he decided to be irate. Why not give him a legitimate reason to be irate?
        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

"Hey L, nice kicks"
          Reminds me of when an ex-friend and I went to see Star Trek: Nemesis, for my birthday, we got out, and were in the car, heading home (Mom was driving, we were both too young for our Driver's licenses) and my friend suddenly said, "Did you notice your boots firming up?" and I just had to start laughing my head off.
          "The line was, 'Have you noticed your boobs firming up,' because, as women get older, their boobs start to sag due to loss of muscle tension. On a planet where time moves differently, the crew's getting younger."
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

My friends and I had a favorite "slip" in high school. I was in the theater department and often did tech work. Whenever we were working on or talking about set construction, someone would have to say, "Remember everyone: always practice safe sets! Nobody wants to have an STB." (STB was short for "set that breaks.")

Someone said that in a theater class once with a substitute. The look of absolute shock on her face was classic, but the joke's not nearly as funny as it used to be.
            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
            - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
            - IPF

Comment

Bah. People are always telling me I talk too fast and they can't understand me. Although they always make sure to say it in the snottiest tone possible.

One day me and another cashier who I have quite a bit in common with in terms of concert-going and band interests were at side-by-side registers and chatting aimlessly between customers.
              One woman was bagging her things and said, "How the hell do you two even understand each other!? You talk so fast I couldn't even pick up on half of that."

My response (since she was actually being polite and was talking in a joking manner I felt this would be apropriate), "Now do we talk to fast, or do you listen too slow?"
              She laughed. I was glad.

I've sometimes been compared to Six from Blossom with the way I speak.
              Oh well.

Comment

I've been accused of talking too fast, too. Pisses me off, because when I was younger, I had a tendency to be mealy-mouthed and people accused me of talking too slowly and to "just spit it out!". So, I learned to "spit it out"... and now everyone whines that I talk too fast. Grr! I know I can't please everyone, but how about anyone??

And sometimes, on bad days, my voice gets monotone and people call me on it. Hey, I'm not that great an actress, and it was hard for me to sound like Susie Sunshine while working at frickin' Mickey D's.
                "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

My co-workers used to complain that I talk at 78rpm, which wouldn't be so bad but they're listening at 45rpm. The speed aspect wouldn't be so hard to understand if I could keep up my enunciation. Alas for those who have to listen to me, it rarely does.
                  I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

When people complain that I talk to fast I have a tendancy of talking even faster to show them what talking fast can be do it comes out "IamsorryItalktofastifyouaskmenicelyImightslowdown "

Comment

I tend to talk fast . . .Freshman year of Collage I went to school in a neighboring state . . . Classmates and Professors alike would ask me to slow down/ they couldn't understand me. So I would focus on slowing down what I had to say.
                      Then I would come home for a weekend and get tongue tied coming back to normal speed.

Comment

Working...
                      X