Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Cream and Cussing and Forks, Oh My!

Ah, my third day back at my original job. What can I say about it...

1. The store is now down to less than 20 workers. It seems that a lot of firing and quitting has happened in my absence.

2. Today my manager has decided to start a cuss jar for all the employees. Today it made $3.00 at $.25 a word. It is also not just swear words, but anything that could be inappropriate for a family to hear at a restaurant.
    When we get enough money we get pizza.

3. One of the shift leaders had to deal with another utensil nazi customer. We are a dairy and ice cream store, so we only have spoons for the customers to use. However we do have one item that is a cake but is normally served a la mode.
    UNC: Can I have a fork?
    SL: We only have spoons.
    UNC: scoff But you sell cake. walks away
    Manager over hears and says to the SL: Yeah we sell cake but most people get it with ice cream.

He probably would have swore but the cuss jar was in effect. All hail the cuss jar.

4. I swear I will find that genetic defect that makes people want ice cream at 9:45 at night.

5. To the persons who want their shakes thin or thick or stirred or mixed or doubled and need to question our hours prices, procedures, or drive-thru speed, I hope your rectums are torn out through your navel.

It's good to be back.
    "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Quoth Trayol View Post
    Today my manager has decided to start a cuss jar for all the employees. Today it made $3.00 at $.25 a word. It is also not just swear words, but anything that could be inappropriate for a family to hear at a restaurant.
    Wait, wait, this seems like a great idea, but I'm confused - do you put a quarter in the jar for each occurrence (word/phrase), and then get a pizza when you get enough money in the jar? Because the way I understand it (or misunderstand it, as it were), you're getting pizza for cussing.
    ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

You ever see the Bud Light cuss jar commercial. Priceless.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I'm assuming they have to put their own money in the jar, so it is a bit of a punishment. And they have to do something with it when it adds up, so it's nice that their manager is letting them get something for (hopefully) learning their lesson and cussing less.
        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

As if dealing with stupid, jackass customers isn't punishment enough on its own....

As for insisting on eating cake with a fork, I've been known to eat cake with a spoon, too. If I don't think to bring one of my plastic forks from home, I often help myself to one of the ice cream spoons we keep near the ice cream case because I don't want to buy a package of plastic cutlery off the shelf at work. I've also learned how to use a spoon to eat the noodles in the Ramen Cups because I got in a hurry packing my lunch, and forgot a fork.

On the other hand, clerks can conveniently take many things off the shelves for personal use at work, and write it down as "store use." We frequently do that for ourselves on certain items, and we'll even do that for some of the customers that we actually like.
          The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth Trayol
            4. I swear I will find that genetic defect that makes people want ice cream at 9:45 at night.
            I've heard ice cream can supposedly help people sleep. Supposedly. Something about the calcium and the low temperature or something.

Comment

I do like ice cream at night, but I usually just get a carton at the store and take it home so I don't have to go out to an ice cream shop that late. I swear that working with the public for 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week for the last 14 years has made me become a hermit by choice. No wonder I feel like an old man trapped in a young body some nights after work! I don't like to be out too late at night any more. I may be a night owl, but I prefer to stay home and veg out in front of the TV or on the computer until the wee hours when I finally get tired enough to sleep.
              The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth Trayol View Post
                I will admit I've done this on occasion. I'll just be sitting around the house and suddenly be struck by a very strong desire for a particular flavor of Blizzard or ice cream. However, I've never turned into a SC over it. If the store's closing, I'll just order something quick and take it with me. If it's closed, I'll go to a 24-hour grocery store and find something there.
                It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth Trayol View Post
                  He probably would have swore but the cuss jar was in effect. All hail the cuss jar.

We used to have one at my old c-store during Lent. Had a pretty good time with it and even customers participated. We took turns deciding what charity to give it to after Easter. (Alzheimer's Association, Animal Shelter, etc.) Usually netted a few hundred dollars. (Far Southside - where the f-bomb is like punctuation instead of a modifier )

Comment

Cuss jar:

I don't see how it's a punishment either? Even if they get hit with a quarter as a fine each time... They get a pizza when the money is up enough.. So if enough people swore (in front of witness that weren't customers), they'd get a pizza's worth pretty quick.. Unless the one who swore the most didn't get any?
                    3 Basic rules for ordering food.
                    - Order from the menu.
                    - If you order something that will take some time to cook, then be prepared to wait.
                    - Don't talk about Fight Club.

Comment

Quoth Trayol View Post
                      I often buy milkshakes up to two-three hours after midnight.
                      Music: Last.fm
                      Pwetty pictuwes: DeviantArt | Flickr

Comment

To the folks questioning the cuss jar's methods (I personally fuggan hate cuss jars myself). Heres how it works as a punishment if the money goes to pay for pizza for the staff.

You have say 10 employee's including the manager (yeah nice round number works good).

Out of those 10 employee's you have the following mix

2 folks that must take to Jesus cause the harshest word or phrase they use is "ahhh nuts" (how they are able to avoid cussing I'll never know, but they have the patience of a saint)

3 folks that may drop an occasional shit, but it doesn't happen often and you know that this word means something when they say it.

2 folks that tend to use shit a little more often and drop the rare F-bomb, but not to often (fuck still holds some meaning in their vocabulary)

2 folks that tend to curse often but try and keep it respectable around customers and coworkers

1 of us who truely belive that the word fuck is both a verb, adverb, noun, and just plain fun.

Now the punishment comes from the fact that the first 2 people won't be putting any money into the jar, while I would probably be paying for at least 70% of that fu##ing pizza myself. While everyone shares the prize equally, its how the money comes to be in the jar. If you are able to call someone enema monkey instead of a dickhead then you're money should stay in your pocket. If you can say gosh darnit to all heck, instead godmotherfuckingdamnit, then you've just plain been watching to much happy days and you must be Richie Cunningham!
                        My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth Trayol View Post
                          And that is why I try to remember to buy ice cream before I leave work.

Now I want strawberry cheesecake ice cream.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

The cuss jar is a sophmoric, idiotic, and moronic thing. No one forces me to pay when I cuss and I never will either. If I am dumb enough to cuss in front of a customer, then I get what I deserve.
                            I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Quoth Trayol View Post
                              2. Today my manager has decided to start a cuss jar for all the employees. Today it made $3.00 at $.25 a word. It is also not just swear words, but anything that could be inappropriate for a family to hear at a restaurant.
                              "Anyone want pizza tonight?"
                              "F* yeah!"

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
                              ~Clerks

Comment

Working...
                              X