This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, I don't know what you mean

I was delving into my saved archives and found a number of tales that need dusting off - just short ones, you'll be pleased to note.

“I’d buy some oranges, but those look a bit too orangey, if you know what I mean,” a woman said, poking her head in the door. We didn't know what she meant.

She was a case and a half. We'd had some small, cheap oranges on sale, and her children had loved them. The reason they were cheap? End of season, and we told her that many times. This didn't stop her expecting us to have them in every week for the next six months.

A chap pulled a pint from the dairy fridge. "Was this milk taken from the cow this morning?" he demanded.

We told him the only way to get milk fresh that morning was to buy a cow. He didn't take kindly to that and stalked off to the newsagent to buy some there. The Boss walked in behind him only to hear him telling everyone that our milk was over a week old (we'd told him two days was a reasonable estimate). He came back in a day or two later to tell us that they assured him it was fresh from the cow that morning, so he was fine with buying it from there. That was when we told him they got it from the same dairyman as us.

Doesn't pay to tell the truth, does it?

"It's a bit cold for Summer, isn't it?" someone whined.

"It's October."

“Can you cut me some bacon please?” asked a woman one sunny day. “I’d like it lean, but streaky, if you know what I mean.”

“I beg your pardon?” I asked.

“I want it lean, but streaky. You know what I mean?”

“No.”

"Do you cut your pork and beef with different knives?" It was in the early days of the BSE scare, so it wasn't such a stupid question. Also, the area had a fairly high Jewish population, and I'd had people come in for non-kosher beef before...

"It's all cut on the same block," I told him, pointing out the sodding obvious.

Ah, rummaging through my memoirs brought up a type of customer I knew as the Sneerer. You'll know a Sneerer when you see one - nothing is ever good enough for them, and their top lip reaches all the way to the nose to show gleaming ivory. We had a couple of notable encounters, and they went a little like this.

The time was late summer and, between the cheerful sizzling of the wasps in the electric insectocutor, we idled through the long, hot days before autumn. We also had cherries – English White Heart cherries to be precise. Rather a flavoursome variety but with one slight problem.

“They’re sticky,” a semi-regular Sneerer complained.

I shook myself out of a comfortable reverie and looked at her politely.

“These cherries – they’re sticky.” As I said, White Heart cherries have one slight problem.

I was impressed at how she could extend that last ‘y’ for almost three normal syllables of length. I suppose I should write it as, “stickaaaayyyyy,” but that’s throwing problems up with the spellchecker. I pondered her comment for a moment and then nodded. “Yup,” I replied. She was right and I held that in my mind as I agreed.

The customer, to her mind, may always be right, but even that is not always satisfactory. “But they’re English!” she protested.

“Yup.” As the sign on the box says, so they are. They were indeed English and I agreed wholeheartedly with her claim.

“But they’re sticky!” Again the ‘y’ was extended beyond the normal abilities of a single letter to describe.

“Yup.” I nodded to emphasise my agreement. She was right and I made certain that she knew it.

“But they’re English!”

“Yup.”

This went on for a few more claims and agreements. I had to admit that I was impressed – most people take the hint that they are right, and that there is nothing to be done about it because that’s how things are, within a few seconds. Maybe I just wasn’t agreeing strenuously enough? Whatever the reason, she eventually deigned to take some, at fingertip length, a look of disgust on her face.

“What was her problem?” the Boss asked when she’d gone. “Face like a…” He went on to describe something unpleasant. He has quite a way with him at times.

“She didn’t like the cherries, Boss,” I replied.

“But she bought some,” he protested.

“Don’t ask me to explain people,” I said with a sigh. “That way lies madness.”

The Boss has his own way of dealing with alleged people. He had his own encounter with someone else who was sneering at the cherries one year (I don’t know why but we get more idiots with cherries than anything else). At arms length the woman brought them in, sneer at the ready. He caught this and, as is his wont, became slightly belligerent. He stared.

“I’ll take these, but they’re not marvellous,” the Sneerer said, not even looking at him.

“You don’t have to take them if you don’t want,” he replied.

Eyebrows were raised all around and I began to watch intently from my area of the shop. Entertainment doesn’t have to cost if you know where to look.

“Oh, I’ll have them,” the woman said, confusion evident on her face. “It’s just that they’re not marvellous.” She wasn’t used to being told not to buy what she didn’t like and it showed.

“If you don’t like them then don’t buy them,” the Boss replied, folding his arms.

“I’ll have them, but they’re not…” is as far as she got. The Boss leaned over, took the bag and wandered outside to the display. He emptied the bag onto the box outside and walked back in to hear the protest.

It never came. Instead the woman darted outside, got a fresh bag and began rummaging once again. She returned with a slightly frightened look, apparently not seeing me smirking for all I was worth.

“I said that I’d have them, it’s just that they’re not marvellous.”

“And I said that if you don’t like them then don’t get them.” The Boss’ hand darted like a cobra and snatched the bag before she could react. Out he went again and the cherries went back on the display. I ducked beneath my counter to stifle the sniggering. I really don’t know if I succeeded.

Some people don’t take hints well and the Sneerer dashed outside to get the same cherries again before anyone else did. She returned again but apparently saw the Boss’ face and her self-preservation instinct kicked in. I was waiting for her to open her mouth again but something must have told her that this was a bad idea. In blessed silence she paid for and retreated with the cherries. An independent shopkeeper can get away with that if he or she values the customer’s trade less than the peace of mind gained by never seeing their face again. Remember, folks – don’t try this at home. We’re professionals doing a dangerous job.

I'll dig out some more later.

Rapscallion

I think the thing with the cherries was kind of funny, but I also reckon your boss was a bit mean in what he did. I mean, the lady was only saying that the cherries weren't that good, she still WANTED them, I don't think the boss should have kept on taking them back to the display. It's not as if the lady said,"These cherries aren't good enough, I want them for free". She has a right to her own opinion. True, she didn't have to buy the cherries, but I don't think the boss had any right to keep on taking them back to the display. That's just my opinion, anyway ...
    'Our brightest days are yet to shine'
    'You see the depths of my heart, and You love me the same'

Comment

First of all, Rapscallion, you really write well. I always enjoy your stories.

About the cherries...way I see it, Bossman was giving the woman exactly what she appeared to want. He made it clear he'd return the cherries to the bin if she continued to express dissatisfaction with them pretty much immediately. She continued to repeat the same behavior that caused him to do that, so I'm guessing she wanted him to do it more than once.

Some people are slow learners and just don't get that complicated concept of cause and effect.

Comment

exactly; if they're not 'marvellous' enough for her, shut up, don't buy them and leave. no need to constantly reiterate your thoughts; once is enough, after all, and no one is forcing her to buy or be there to begin with.

as for the orange, i prefer my oranges nice and orangey; just wish they were here...
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Sandy View Post
          but I don't think the boss had any right to keep on taking them back to the display. That's just my opinion, anyway ...
          Of course he had every right to take the cherries back to the display, until somebody buys them, they're HIS, to do with as he pleases, and if he doesn't want to sell them to some priss with a big 'ol stick up her butt, then he doesn't have to.
          I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
            A chap pulled a pint from the dairy fridge. "Was this milk taken from the cow this morning?" he demanded.

We told him the only way to get milk fresh that morning was to buy a cow. He didn't take kindly to that
            Why wouldn't he take kindly to that? It's the most obvious solution to his problem of needing just squeezed milk.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Sandy View Post
              I mean, the lady was only saying that the cherries weren't that good, she still WANTED them,
              Actually, she wasn't even saying they weren't good. She said they weren't marvellous. And she kept reiterating that position, even after it was acknowledged and then made clear her complaint only had two outcomes: buy, or not buy. If she kept complaining, she was angling for a third outcome. Bossman made it VERY clear that no third outcome was forthwith. He would have been just as within his rights to refuse the sale. This was just more entertaining, and had a better possibilty of teaching the lady to keep STUPID complaints to herself.

p.s. If she meant they weren't good, she bloody well should have said that, rather than her blather. Heh, rather than her blather. I like that.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

It's not just that she said they weren't marvellous. I suppose you had to be there, but she really made sure we knew she was doing us a favour by buying them. She was a perpetual Sneerer, for whom nothing is good enough. Her expression alone was one of disdain. When she said they weren't marvellous, she meant they were crap in her estimation.

Besides, it may have helped to train her in some vestiges of humanity and decent behaviour.

All pigs fueled and ready to fly...

Rapscallion

Comment

great stories raps!!

I hate when people act like they are doing us a favour by buying something... as if we should bowdown....

your doing my boss a favor, not me!
                  I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Rapscallion, after reading that collection, you just made me

with half a glass of fresh iced tea and lemon. But it was worth it.

Now my keyboard is all stickaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy . . .

Comment

Damn. If I don't like a particular food - I don't buy it. How on earth would complaining to the staff change the way the food tastes???? If you don't like it - don't buy it. Heh.

Raps, your stories are great!
                      If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

Great stories Raps.

Anyway for some reason the story with your Boss and the cherries reminds me of that episode of Seinfield with the Soup Nazi (not saying you boss was anything like a Nazi but well, it just reminded me of it). Anyway in that episode George brought some soup from the Soup Nazi and he asked for free bread sticks. The Nazi said the bread wasn't free and it was like three dollars then George tried to deal with him but it failed. The Soup Nazi said his famous line "No soup for you" and one of workers took the soup out of George's hand then gave back his money. I also remember Elaine having trouble with the Soup Nazi (not sure why) and getting ban from his soup kitchen but for some reason Kramar became friends with him, well I do remember him talking with Soup Nazi for some reason.
                        Last edited by rdp78; 08-23-2006, 02:23 AM.
                        Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
                        My space
                        Facebook

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                          “Can you cut me some bacon please?” asked a woman one sunny day. “I’d like it lean, but streaky, if you know what I mean.”
                          “I beg your pardon?” I asked.
                          Possible relation to the lady who wanted her bacon sliced really thin because she's a vegitarian?
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

"Do you cut your pork and beef with different knives?"
                            This one I can understand a customer being concerned about. Muslims don't eat pork. Hindus don't eat beef.

Comment

Jewish area with regards to cultural make-up - not supposed to eat beef unless it's kosher (halal for muslims, not sure for hindus). Our place was much cheaper than the local kosherie, and there were a few incidents of people asking for 'pale beef' (pork) or illicit cheaper steaks etc. As long as they were giving me money, I didn't really care. If they were giving me money and being an SC, I got a good tale for here. It depended on where their personal limits were.

As I said, though, it was the start of the BSE scare, so he could have been worried about that. Heh - it was the stuff he'd been eating for the last decade he needed to worry about, not the stuff on the counter. We still kill more people in two weeks on the road than have died from vCJD since the scare began. Some of the fats in red meat have caused many more deaths and continue to do so, but the media fixated on that one.

Ooops - that was a soapbox moment!

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                              X