This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from the resale trade.

I don't see any stories here that involve buying from the public so I'll share a few.

There haven't been any bad experiences recently so these will be either generic or abridged because my memory is abridged. I'm in books but I'm sure people in records and clothes have similar experiences.

First the dumpers. These are people who try to sell you a load of crap and then ask if they could leave the rejects at the counter while they get their car only to never be seen again. The real problem is that I only have about 75% accurate record of predicting who turn out to be one of these people.

The over describers. These people will call you to see if you are interested in what they have to sell. A reasonable thing to do. But when you tell me that your books are in great condition don't get upset when I reject water damaged 8 year thillers without jackets.

The desperate. Most people sell their books when they are moving, or cleaning house. Some are voracious readers who need to reduce their book spending as much as they can (Yay for them. They usually take trade credit). Sadly there are the others. The people who are selling their books to make rent, or worse, get a fix. These people keep yammering at you while you are examining the books, telling you how great/important or in what great condition it is in. Dude! It's in my hands and I've got ten years experience in the trade. If your desperate sales pitch is going to affect my evaluation at all it will be downward.

The thieves. Believe it or not people are constantly trying to sell us stolen books. And we can tell. When an unwashed punk junkie brings in 10 brand new $80.00 art books it's not hard to figure out that they are stolen. It's actually kind of fun. When this happens we take the books. When they object I offer to call the cops and let them resolve it. I've yet to be taken up on this. We then call around town to find where they were stolen from. Strangely the big boxes don't seem to mind being ripped off. When we call them they don't even offer to check their inventory for missing items. We hold them for a couple of weeks and then, Yay, free inventory.

The ones with subterranean taste. They will bring in boxes of true crime, romances and franchise fiction and be surprised when we don't buy any of it.

It's getting late, so I'll have to save specific stories for later.
    Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

I've always wanted a job like that. Not working in a big national book store, but in a local, independant book seller. Shelves of books from floor to ceiling, authors not many people have heard of, obscure tomes, old old books (I love the smell of an old book), no coffee shop on site (all though I love coffee shops).
    Sounds like a dream job, if the pay was right.
    Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
      The ones with subterranean taste. They will bring in boxes of true crime, romances and franchise fiction and be surprised when we don't buy any of it.
      True crime is "subterranean" taste? Interesting. There are a lot of intelligent, educated people who read this genre, and I dare say myself among them. Sure, there is a lot of crappy pulp put out every year in this genre. But then, there is a lot of crappy pulp put out every year in EVERY genre.

The recent popularity of shows like CSI and Cold Case illustrate a large interest in this kind of stuff, which means that those books would not, in all likelihood, be sitting on the shelves very long. And authors like John Douglas, Robert Ressler, Harold Schecter, Robert Keppel, Ann Rule and a guy you may have heard of named Truman Capote have given a lot of class and talent to this genre.

Subterranean? Rather dismissive view of such a large, popular, and oftentimes well-researched and well-written genre.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Actually I love the computer generated romance novels. The book store I used to deal with would give a 16-1 credit for them.

Even considering I have to sell them 16 books to get one I was doing well. I'd scour the yardsales and buy them by the crate. After a weekends worth of yardsaling I'd still have enough credit to buy at least 20 good books.

God knows when my grandmother moved out of her house and went to live with my aunt I had enough of those buggers to buy me 50 books.

What the guy did was to put all of those books in a quarter a book bin. He'd always sell them out and hae to get more books. I guess Harliquin romance novels were popular in that area of maryland.

Mongo
        I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Both of the used book sellers in my area love to get my romance novels. I love the historical romance novels, and the only time they have never bought a romance book from me is because they have too many of that book title in their inventory. Otherwise, there is not much they won't buy from me. (One of the used book stores won't take hardcovers over a certain age unless they are classics or are something a specific customer is looking for). One of the bookstores sells Harlequin Romances for 5 and 10 cents each! I love looking over those.

Otherwise, I bring in a box or two of (mostly) romance novels and I end up with anywhere from $20-$80 credit!

And for the record, Romance Novels are the bomb!

Comment

What? You don't take true crime? That's pretty much all I read. I've never tried to sell any though. I usually pass books onto other ppl who enjoy true crime.
            The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

PJ, perhaps you and I should talk about a true crime book exchange program. Lord knows I have enough books on serial killers! And yes, that DOES freak some people out.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                True crime is "subterranean" taste? Interesting. There are a lot of intelligent, educated people who read this genre, and I dare say myself among them.
                All I can say is that makes you an anomaly. Next time you are in that section, look at and talk to the people next to you.

Quoth Jester View Post
                The recent popularity of shows like CSI and Cold Case illustrate a large interest in this kind of stuff
                Those are fiction. That makes them mysteries.

Quoth Jester View Post
                , which means that those books would not, in all likelihood, be sitting on the shelves very long.
                That's the problem. They sit on the shelves forever.

Quoth Jester View Post
                And authors like John Douglas, Robert Ressler, Harold Schecter, Robert Keppel, Ann Rule and a guy you may have heard of named Truman Capote have given a lot of class and talent to this genre.
                I'll give you Capote.

Quoth Jester View Post
                Subterranean? Rather dismissive view of such a large, popular, and oftentimes well-researched and well-written genre.
                Wresteling is all over the place (even on the SciFi channel) verry popular and well produced.

True Crime and Woo (New Age/Metaphysics) are two of the sections that have to be placed in the most visible parts of the store because of theft.

I confess, I read a lot of crap. But it is a guilty pleasure.

Comment

All I can say is that makes you an anomaly. Next time you are in that section, look at and talk to the people next to you.
                  I did not come to my conclusion about fans of true crime just from myself, but from having talked to many, many people who enjoy the genre. I have noticed just on this site several people who enjoy it as well. Heck, Phone Jockey comes to mind, among others. An anomaly? Sorry, no.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                    Actually I love the computer generated romance novels. The book store I used to deal with would give a 16-1 credit for them.
                    You are probably talking about a paperback exchange. Thats a very different business model.

CG Romances are a dying genre. One of the main reasons that all Chick Lit lines have come into being is that Harlequin realized that their audience was dying. The average age of their readers is in the mid 50s and going up. They need something to appeal to younger readers and created Red Dress.

They're not really computer generated BTW.

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                      I love the historical romance novels
                      Read Jean Plaidy/Victoria Holt/other aliases?
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I LOVE True Crime! Can't stand the fictional crime novels, though.

My college this year put up bookshelves across campus, filled with books. The rule was, if you took a book, you had to leave one, otherwise, no strings.

Now, at the end of the first semester, it is rare to find ANYTHING but romance novels on any of the shelves. Once in a while, someone will leave something good, but right now, only romance.

The kicker is that when the program began, there weren't *any* romance novels among the original books.

Comment

I shall never relenquish my signed copy of ''And the Sea Will Tell" or "Helter Skelter" or heck, any of my true crime books
                          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

If you're in London and a True Crime fan visit http://www.murderone.co.uk/
                            Excellent shopping.
                            ludo ergo sum

Comment

They're not really computer generated BTW.
                              No, but when the publishers tell the authors what will happen in which chapter, they might as well be.

For computer generated, you want to find a copy of Atlanta Nights. Well, only one chapter was computer generated, but when the entire book was written one author per chapter, and the authors didn't talk to each other about what they were doing, and, IIRC, the chapters were organized in random fashion...
                              Last edited by Ree; 12-21-2006, 08:36 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Comment

Working...
                              X