This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs. Put-Out and the Questions

Ok, I had a few noteable moments today at work (and I only worked 7 hours!).

Mrs. Put-Out
    The opener for the day. I showed up to work this morning (almost noon) and was immediately assigned one of the regular belt registers. There were maybe two other registers open (not counting the self-checkouts), and right after I got there a whole mess of customers came in. Guess they saw me coming.

Anyway, I had a line about five people deep, and just as I'm finishing out one customer the CSM comes up and tells me to turn off my light so I can go cover for the Garden Center cashier's break. So I turn my light off, look up to mentally mark the last customer in line, and start in on finishing up with the four customers I still had (common courtesy, and Wal-Mart policy so far as I've noticed). Oh, if I only had a Lane Closed sign, not that ignorant customers pay attention to that any more than the status of the register light (unless it's blinking; then they avoid you like the plague because they assume your arm's fallen off or something and don't want to wait an extra five minutes).

About five seconds after I start ringing out the first of those four customers, a lady gets in line behind the last customer. I apologize to her and explain that I'm closed (pointing to my light), and have to explain this to the three or four customers who piled in behind her as well. The lady looks a bit put-out (unlike the other 3-4 customers, who all looked apologetic/chagrined/bland) and wandered off to another register that had just opened up. By now, there's about four registers open (and mine, which was closed), but they still had 5-deep lines.

About five minutes later, I'm ringing out customer #3 of the four. Yet another clueless customer gets in line, and before I even manage to explain the "lane closed" situation, I hear Mrs. Put-Out proclaim loudly from one of the other lines, "Well, NOW she's open!" as though I'd pretended to be closed to spite her. I managed to resist the urge to look over at her and shout, "No, Ma'am, I'm still closed and merely finishing out my line like when I told you I was closed in the first place!" and instead explained the lane closed situation.

Of course, three more people got in line after that before I finished with the last customer and booked it for the Garden Center. ::sigh:: Why can't people pay attention to register lights? There's a reason my line is so short!
    ---

As for the Questions, there were two. The first occurred during my cover in the Garden Center (which was dead, as usual. Welcome to Wal-Mart's No Man's Land).

Two ladies came in through the Garden Center entrance, which is all the way at the opposite end of the store from the main entrance, where the registers are (I work at a non-supercenter, so only one end of the store gets a bank of registers). The ladies look around like they're lost, so my salesfloor training kicks in and I ask if they need anything. One asks, "Can we walk through here to get to Wal-Mart?"

I gave her a blank look for a moment before responding, "Um, this is Wal-Mart."

The other lady looked a bit annoyed before actually explaining what they meant. They wanted to know if they could cut through the Garden Center to get to the rest of the store. Well of course you can do that. I've yet to be in a Wal-Mart where the Garden Center is completely closed off from the rest of the indoor salesfloor. I kept my own sarcastic annoyance in check, though, and politely explained that they could and how to get there (it's visible from the entrance, by the way).

The other question came while I was covering the self-checkouts during a busy stint right before my lunch. The lines on the self-checkouts and the three open registers were again five-deep, minimum, and one of the four self-checkouts was down due to a lockup and reboot (takes a while for them to come back up, assuming the CSM remembers to boot it back up in the first place, which she didn't, so that one register was unavailable for a good half hour at least). One customer came up to me while her husband held their place in line and asked the infamous, "Why don't you have more cashiers on registers here?" while looking like it's my fault.

Of course, the thoughts running through my head sound something like this: Ma'am, do you see this yellow tag on my name badge? That reads "Cashier," not "Manager." Like I have any say in how many registers are open at a given time. Did you not notice the signs on the entrance doors and at Customer Service and Layaway and on the CSM podium/bulletin board that proclaim "Now Hiring for Fifty Billion and a Half Open Positions in This Store"?

What I said, though, was that the rest of the cashiers on duty at that moment were probably on their lunch breaks, which they needed to take (state law and all). At least that shut her up, though it might have been the fact that I followed the comment up with a polite "Excuse me" and rushed off to pick up yet more abandoned merchandise and solve the next three register problems due to people not knowing how the bagging system works or due to age verifications and credit card signature comparisons and missing barcodes.

But hey, I got to finish the fun day of Musical Jobs by covering for the cashier who was covering for the door greeters who had called in that day, so I got the relatively easy job of standing by the door, smiling cheerfully, greeting folks, and handing out carts. And chasing down 30-something men who set off door alarms with DVDs rung through the self-checkouts.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Am I the only person who saw this SC's name "Mrs. Put Out" and started thinking of something dirty?
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      Am I the only person who saw this SC's name "Mrs. Put Out" and started thinking of something dirty?
      Nope. Not at all Irving.
      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Same thing here. Must remove mind from gutter...

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
          Same thing here. Must remove mind from gutter...
          Yes, please do. It's getting kind of crowded in here.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
            Of course, three more people got in line after that before I finished with the last customer and booked it for the Garden Center. ::sigh:: Why can't people pay attention to register lights? There's a reason my line is so short!
            YES! I hate that! Stupid people! The light is off, I am closed, go to another checkout, you stupid idiot!

Stupid idiots... they should be shown to the line for the wood chipper
            free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Oh, if I only had a Lane Closed sign, not that ignorant customers pay attention to that any more than the status of the register light
              No, they don't. I did have a sign, as well as a light. I can't even begin to tell you how many times my shift was ending, or my manager told me to finish up on register and go back to stocking. In either case, I'd turn my light off, turn my sign around to "closed", and finish up with the customers who were already in my line. And there would always be someone who would get in my line anyway. And of course, more of them would file in behind that person. I'd tell them I was closing and they'd go away, but then another one would show up.

I'm sure that with a few of them, it was an honest mistake, and they truly didn't notice. But I truly believe that just as many of them, if not more, knew I was closing, and decided to get in my line anyway, under the mistaken belief that I would have to ring them up. One time I actually shut down my register and walked away, leaving them to put their stuff back in the cart and move it to a register that was actually open. I can't remember how much stuff they had, but I hope it was a lot.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                Nope, add me to that list too.

Comment

sign, light or marching band, they don't and won't notice until you point it out to them. being oblivious is a part of their whole scheme; it forces us to 'care' for them...
                  look! it's ghengis khan!
                  Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

"Why don't you have more cashiers on registers here?" while looking like it's my fault.
                    There are two possible ways to answer that question which are perfectly polite, but make the customer look the fool.

1. [If you happen to be hiring] I'm glad you asked. We're hiring right now. You can fill out an application at customer service...Oh, not interested? Not many people are. That's the main problem.

2. [For those who think they should get Neimann Marcus service at Wal-Mart prices] If we hired more people, we would have to raise prices to pay for the added expense. If you don't mind paying a little more for quicker service, please feel free to share your thoughts with my manager. He's always looking for better ideas to make our customers happier.
                    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

I've seen people actually move the 'Lane Closed' sign and start putting their stuff on the belt, even with the cashier telling them point-blank 'Um, I'm CLOSED!' When the truth finally hit home there was a lot of pitching of hissy-type fits. People can be so self-absorbed and thoughtless it's beyond belief at times--unless you deal with the public on a daily basis, then you know how bad it can be.

Comment

I have never worked at a place quite like this but if the blinking light scares people away why not use that.
                        I before E except after C. We live in a weird society

Comment

Quoth braindead View Post
                          I have never worked at a place quite like this but if the blinking light scares people away why not use that.
                          I don't know Wal*Mart's policy but at the store I work at, if your light is blinking it means you need a service runner. There are so few service runners in our store at any given time that flashing your light would just stress them out even more. They run around there like chickens with their heads cut off trying to do their jobs.
                          Retail Haiku:
                          Depression sets in.
                          The hellhole is calling me ~
                          I don't want to go.

Comment

Quoth Brighid45 View Post
                            People can be so self-absorbed and thoughtless it's beyond belief at times--unless you deal with the public on a daily basis, then you know how bad it can be.
                            An oft-repeated conversation, with occasional variations...

"I can't believe it/that!!!!!!!!"

"Sure you can, and that's the problem..."

Usually in relation to some stupid person and/or situation.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth braindead View Post
                              Unfortunately, as Retail Associate pointed out, the blinking light is for a CSM. We're not supposed to set the light to blinking unless we really need them (especially since they're just as short-staffed as the rest of the store right now). But it *does* work, admittedly, when I'm legitimately calling for help.

And I was reminded by Brighid45 that at the Supercenter I used to work at, we had those "Lane Closed" chains to string across the register. I actually had a customer once unhook it and start unloading onto the belt, and "helpfully" point out that my chain was across the lane. I had to explain that I was closed. Can't remember the customer's reaction, in that case.
                              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                              X