This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you serious?

This one happened today, and set that little red light in my head blazing!

Lady came up to me, and the first words out of her mouth are, "Can I buy twenty $10 gift cards?"
    Uh... uh... er... uh... "I suppose...?" uh... er... uh... I guesh I chooshe Shcarlet Johansshen!
    I double check with FES H, who just kind of shrugs, and says, "Why not?"
    Okay, so I spend fifteen minutes ringing up twenty $10 gift cards (I counted out twenty gift cards first, so I wouldn't have to keep track.) Finished with that, I say, "$200.00, and your zip code?"
    She pays credit, and gives me her zip, at which point the register finally starts activating the cards. Huzzah.
    Cards finish, lady goes on her way, after grabbing a bag.
    At which point I tell H, "It seemed suspicious to me that she wanted twenty $10 gift cards. That just screams fraud to me..."
    H says, "Nah, if it had been return cards, yeah, that'd be suspicious, but gift cards? No big."
    "I call murder on that!"

We get people that buy multiple gift cards all the time. She was probably sending out late Christmas cards or something.

Comment

Yeah, we used to get this all the time at Hasting's. It's not that unusual. Mostly, bosses getting $10 for all of their staff, that type of thing. There's nothing sneaky about it. Was she acting in some way that was off?
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Not that I can remember, but it just seemed strange to me. It's also the first time I've ever sold 20 gift cards in one transaction.
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

They might have been employee gifts or grab bag items or prizes in drawings. I don't think it's that odd. I bought four $25 gift cards for my kids teachers and other school workers at the same book store.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Kinda odd that it's after Christmas rush, but my boss did the same thing for us when our company cheaped out on Christmas bonuses and gifts this year.

She gave each of us a 10.00 giftcard to Target and paid for them out of her own pocket, and her direct department is 43 people, so that's how many she bought at one time.

Pretty nice of her, considering.
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

We get that all the time at the bookstore. Christmas gifts, teacher gifts, schools buying for contest prizes, bosses buying for their employees, etc... I've rung up 200 gift cards in one transaction (well, actually we split it into 4 transactions in case the register went floopy). I've also had to write out 150 paper gift certificates, which involved writing out the amount (like on a check), then franking the certificate in the check printer after the payment went through. I would just open the extra register in music so I could do it without getting interrupted.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

My ex's old job would give employees $5 Wal Mart gift cards as little bonuses when they did something well. It culd have been something like that.

Comment

My job sells tons of gift cards during the holidays. I sold one person thirty $5 gift cards and I've seen a couple of women get 100 $5 gift cards. Luckily they payed by credit card.
                  "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

Nothing wrong with that. I had to buy multiple amounts of gift cards before. And I paid cash. As I can see nothing wrong with that.
                    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

that would have sucked for me because i have to do each one individually.

the system in my store is different from the rest of the store (ie the auto shop and the regular store are different systems)

i had one customer right before christmas come in and ask for a quote on tires and then asked to do gift cards so her son can come in and get the tires. they were over 500$ which is the limit we can put on the cards so i tried to put them on the same ticket, no dice. lucky i could get it in 2 transactions cause they were under 1000$

what sucked really big is that i had a guy come in and order tires, which requires me to take a 100% deposit on the tires (the installation they dont have to pay for at the time of the reservation) so he is willing to give me deposit, but apparently my modem was down and would not take the cards even with the help of the card customer service who confirmed there was money on the cards. i told him we were just going to have to skip the deposit and he would have to come in when the tires arrived. what really sucks about this order is that he lives in mexico so i cant call him when the tires come in.
                      "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                        This one happened today, and set that little red light in my head blazing!
                        I thought (at least people have said so before) that you can't buy gift cards with credit cards???
                        Last edited by Spiffy McMoron; 01-08-2008, 03:19 PM. Reason: No need to quote entire post

Comment

Quoth ebonyknight View Post
                          I thought (at least people have said so before) that you can't buy gift cards with credit cards???
                          I've never heard that rule at any place I've ever been to. (not that I use my credit card much) Plus, I don't see where the OP mentions how she paid, just that she did pay.
                          I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                            I've never heard that rule at any place I've ever been to. (not that I use my credit card much) Plus, I don't see where the OP mentions how she paid, just that she did pay.
                            Quoth Juwl View Post
                            Finished with that, I say, "$200.00, and your zip code?"
                            She pays credit, and gives me her zip, at which point the register finally starts activating the cards. Huzzah.

Well, from the stories I remember reading, credit cards weren't to be used to cut down on fraud.

Comment

I heard a story from a cashier in my store about a guy who came in with $100 worth of gift cards, all in $1 increments. Somebody had given them to him as a gift that was partly a joke. He was excited to have $100 to spend, but he apologized profusely to the cashier who rang him out because he could see what a pain it was.

I almost wish I'd been there. That would have been amusing. Wouldn't want to have been a cashier then, though, either the one who created the gift cards or the one who processed the purchase made with them.
                              I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                              - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                              - IPF

Comment

Working...
                              X