X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe you just said that!!

Hello,
    I have not posted in awhile, although I have had some good stories, I have been too lazy to write I guess but this incident that happened today just got my gander up and I just have to share.
    I work in a Mexican fast food restaurant, not the Bell, I chose to work here because I love working with people and teens and since I am in management I get a decent paycheck. I enjoy the fast pace, our store is a very high volume restaurant and we have some fabulous customers, well except for the one I encountered today. Our employees come from all walks of life and many are Native Americans, I only mention this because of what this SC said. Okay, that is the background, here is the story

I was training a new girl, C, on the tills, C is Native American.
    Part of our job is to write down the names of the customer so we can call their name when the order is done.
    So this older lady comes to the counter, at first refused to stand in front of the register to order, but I told her that it would be easier if she stood in front of us to order. She places her order for one taco and pays. Here's what follows:

C-new girl
    D-Me
    Susan-old lady (yes I used her real name)

C-May I have your first name
    Susan-"Susan"
    C-(looks at me to spell the name correctly as she is not so great at spelling)
    so I spell it for her
    Susan- (looks down at C) "Didn't you go to high school"?
    D-(flabbergasted that someone would have the balls to say that, I look straight at the lady and told her off) "That was very RUDE!" "Not everyone knows how to spell" "It really angers me that people think we are stupid just because we work fast food"
    Susan-"Oh, Oh, I did not mean it that way, I was just going to say that there are alot of intelligent people who attend Ogalala College (a Native American college)"

I ignored her and thought RIGHT!! So now you are insulting her intelligence and being racist a tad bit!! I was floored. "C" laughed about it and was glad I spoke up. Darn right I will speak up!! NO ONE insults one of the employees like that and gets by with it if I am around, customer service be damned!!!

Well that is my story

woohoo! Nice one! I applaud you
    We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

I would've said.

"Here's your refund, ma'am. You'll find the exit is over there."
      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

There was a bit of suck to that but if I read it right, she looked to you to spell the name of Susan, not like it is difficult. I know, some people just are not good at spelling but if I walked into a store and someone could not spell a name as simple as that, I would also wonder about their level of education. I would not be so dense as to say anything to insult that person however. The racist attitude toward the Native American school sucks though, I'm a Cherokee myself.
        I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

See, I'd check on that, too, but that's because due to my tendency to work in jobs with a high level of background noise my hearing isn't what it used to be, and I wouldn't be sure if she'd said "Susan" or "Suzanne".
          Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

Another thing to take into account is dyslexia. It's not that person's fault they have a learning disability, not to mention the zillion different ways people can spell Susan:

Susan
            Suzan
            Suzanne
            Susann
            Suzyn
            Susyn

Etc etc etc
            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

That asshat in the OP probably didn't even get to high school. Not everyone can spell right & just like someone mentioned before me, there is a billion ways to spell different names
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                Another thing to take into account is dyslexia. It's not that person's fault they have a learning disability, not to mention the zillion different ways people can spell Susan:

Susan
                Suzan
                Suzanne
                Susann
                Suzyn
                Susyn

Etc etc etc
                Like Suesann
                Susanne

just to give a couple more variants.

Although really, as long as you write it like the customer said it and so that the people calling out the name can read it; who cares how you spell it.

My name has at least 3 spellings that I know of and frankly, in that situation, as long I recognize my name when you call it out; I don't care how you spell it.
                I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

just make sure you get the right name . . . I use a shortened version of my full name. There is more than one shortened version so do listen to what I say. (And my name has been in the top 15 names for girls every year since I was born over 30 years ago)
                  as in - I tell you my name is Em don't put down Emmy. I won't respond.
                  This happened last week at the green apron coffee shop.
                  They called out my drink for Emmy and I just stood there . . .next person got their drink and the next and I just kept standing there. . . .coffee maker asked what I ordered, I told her, she said here it is . . .I said "oh you called the name Emmy with that . . .my name is Em"
                  Honestly with a common name and a common drink for such a place . . .how was a to know that an Emmy didn't order one before me? I really wasn't trying to be a brat.

Comment

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post
                    Although really, as long as you write it like the customer said it and so that the people calling out the name can read it; who cares how you spell it.
                    Exactly. Unless you're some control freak.

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post
                    My name has at least 3 spellings that I know of and frankly, in that situation, as long I recognize my name when you call it out; I don't care how you spell it.
                    I wholeheartedly agree.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                    X