Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How my co-worker pwned a Sucky Customer.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How my co-worker pwned a Sucky Customer.

So I had a customer today give me 7 50 cent pieces. So I punched in $3.50.

SC: "No, I gave you $7!!"
    Me: "You gave me half of $7, which is only $3.50."
    SC: No, you're trying to rip me off!!"
    Me: "No, i'm telling you the truth. You gave me..."
    SC: "I want to see your manager!"
    Me: "You found her."

Just then, one of my off duty Co-Workers stands behind the woman.

CO: "Does someone need extra change?"
    SC: "No, this bitch is trying to stiff me...."
    Me: "Excuse me?"
    CO: *Looks down* "No, YOUR trying to stiff the store. See, you gave her Half-Dollars. 50 cents. 7 times 5 equals 35. Add a zero at the end, and it's $3.50. Now, if you gave her these...."

And out pops $5 worth of Susie B Dollar coins from his pocket. He then slams them onto the counter.

CO: "...you'd have a case. Now you either apologize to the cashier right now and pay up the extra $3.50 to get a full $7 payment, or get out of line and let me have a turn."

The customer was deadpan silent as she took out 4 dollar bills and left in a huff.

Good for him. Do you think she was a scammer? Or, just monumentally stupid and didn't recognize a 50-cent piece?
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

where I live both are very rare so I bet it was stupidity - when in dooubt read the coin people!

Comment

she was likely just very stupid, and obviously quite rude, but it is possible she was trying to scam, which is probably the worst attempt I've ever heard of.
        We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

My bet is on scam. It's hard to accidentally get a bunch of half dollars unless you're in Nevada.

Comment

arent half dollars huge? scam
            on a side note i have ened up with a ton a half dollars in the past, why? some stores get weird change, and i like to shop at weird places. ever pay a 25 dollar bill with 13 2 dollars bills? I have!!! god i was sorry for that clerk but it was all i had...
            Last edited by Sliceanddice; 01-09-2008, 11:41 PM.

Comment

My guess would be scam. I remember from my retail hell days that scammers almost always get defensive like that when their little scheme is not going according to plan.
              "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
              ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Quoth Tito View Post
                I remember from my retail hell days that scammers almost always get defensive like that when their little scheme is not going according to plan.
                That's been my experience, too.

Wouldn't showing him the part on the coin, on each coin, where it says "HALF DOLLAR", be enough to convince him that either A. he's wrong, or B. his scheme failed, and time to move on? How the hell would getting a manager help things at all?

Yeesh...

Comment

Quoth theredbaron47 View Post
                  That's been my experience, too.

Wouldn't showing him the part on the coin, on each coin, where it says "HALF DOLLAR", be enough to convince him that either A. he's wrong, or B. his scheme failed, and time to move on? How the hell would getting a manager help things at all?

Yeesh...
                  well, if their managers are like some of minne they don't pay attention and just do whatever the customer demands, regardless of wether or not they're right.
                  We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

Awright! Love it when an SC gets pwned!

Comment

Awesome story! At least this woman had extra cash to bail herself out of the situation, whether it was a scam or stupidity (I would bet on a combination of both).

My dad uses unusual coins like that all the time, but he knows their face value. He likes to leave a pile of Susan B Anthonys as a tip because he thinks it's funny for the server to see what looks like an insulting four-quarter tip and later discover it's actually four dollars.

Quoth Cyphr View Post
                      where I live both are very rare so I bet it was stupidity - when in dooubt read the coin people!
                      Read the coin? These people can't read any of the signs we put up to help them, so I don't think they even know that coins have words on them.
                      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                      - IPF

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                        arent half dollars huge? scam
                        on a side note i have ened up with a ton a half dollars in the past, why? some stores get weird change, and i like to shop at weird places. ever pay a 25 dollar bill with 13 2 dollars bills? I have!!! god i was sorry for that clerk but it was all i had...
                        Half dollars are indeed huge.

In fact, Susan B. Anthony dollars are often confused as quarters! Even by vending machines. Ever put a $1 bill in a vending machine for a Coke and get a Susan B. Anthony dollar, a dime and a nickel in change?

(Still has the dollar in her tiny coin collection... and a Sacajewea coin that she keeps as a talisman for prosperity.)
                        A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Working...
                        X