Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are people so uppity when it comes to putting their bags behind the counter?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are people so uppity when it comes to putting their bags behind the counter?

It's store policy. Apparently, management thinks it'll cut down on theft .....

We have signs posted at the front door and at the register... It's understandable that people miss these signs because .... well for one it's a sign and two, it's because they're kinda small (only half a page).

So, whenever we spot someone with a large bag, backpack, grocery bags wandering through the store, we have to ask them to place their bag behind the register/counter (or we do it for them). The bags are in plain sight of employees and management, so no one will rummage through them or get stolen and personally, we don't really care what's in your bag and its unlikely that any of the employees would want to steal it (kind of like credit card numbers). And the bags are placed far enough from other customers hands (and eye sight most of the time).

Some people just get so ..... almost offended, that we ask for bags. Personally, I get offended when the SC throws a fit about it. People start whining that "their wallet" is in there (well then take it out). There have been many a customer who have simply walked out because they didn't want their bag behind the counter. Others appreciate it, as they don't have to lug their bag/groceries/whatnot around the store with them. I've even offered to place the oh-so-precious bag near the managers desk. Some people will even do it on their own, tossing their bags behind the counter without a second thought and without having us to prompt them (obviously, regular customers).

Earlier today, a group of four adults came into the store. One gentlemen had a bag. I was just finishing up a sale when I saw them wandering the store, they got about to the halfway mark (it's a fairly small store). I approach them (mainly him) and ask if I could help them with anything. He said they were just looking. I usually use this statement to my advantage when trying to separate a bag from its owner.

I do my whole spiel, "if you're going to look around the store, may I please get your bag from you and put it behind the counter?" I always feel like an ass having to ask people, but it's a part my job. Some people are easy and usually just hand it over to me and I scurry it over to the register area. But Nope. Not this guy.

"No, we're just leaving ...." he instantly replies. Liar. They've been in the store less than three minutes. But they did promptly leave. He basically cut this whole groups' shopping time because he didn't want his bag behind the counter. That's fine with me. It makes me kinda wonder why someone would lug a big heavy bag around the store anyway.

I've also been cursed out by an angry parent. His two children had a backpack each, filled to the brim with DVDs (what kind of parent does this anyway??). It's obvious he was going to pawn the movies (and bringing the kids along too), but I gently asked the kids to please place the bags behind the counter. The kids looked slightly relieved because the damned things look heavy and cumbersome (but also with the deer-caught-in-the-headlights-look, like they just got into trouble or somethin'). They were just looking around the store until things in the pawn room died down (it was fairly busy in there). But instead of letting the little ones (about 8-9 years old) get rid of their burdens, the guy started using cursing at me (using some rather colorful words) and tromped the children off to the pawn room to wait. I believe the bags stayed with the DVDs when he pawned them and they came back out to the floor to continue looking. He seemed calmer when I asked him if I could help with him with anything ... but he was still an ass.

They only person who is exempt from leaving their backpack behind the counter is our jeweler (in which I'm sure, he has many fun, sparkly things hidden away in there).
    This area is left blank for a reason.

I'm one of those people that won't leave their bags behind the counter.

If I'm asked to leave a bag at the front, I don't say anything to the staff about it. Policy is policy. They can't change it for me, and nor should they. And I fully support a store's right to ask me to leave my bag at the front. Its their store, its private property, and they can do as they wish.

So if I'm asked to leave my bag, I just smile and nod at the staff as if to say, I understand that's your policy, no hard feelings, have a good one. Then I turn around and leave.

I won't shop at stores that assume I'm a shoplifter from the second I walk in. Especially because there are plenty of other stores where I can shop that won't.

Again, I don't make a big deal out of it, because it isn't a big deal. They choose their policies, and I choose mine.

Nobody should be a dick about it. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

It bothers me a little because I'm tired of being treated like a criminal when I go to the store.

Many stores now check your receipts on the way out. I'm sorry, but if you're so worried about that, make it so that you cannot exit the store's exit without going through the checkout lanes. And, put someone watching that all.

Yeah, definitely with Boozy, no need to be a jerk. Just don't shop there.
      Last edited by Broomjockey; 01-10-2008, 03:56 AM. Reason: merged
      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

i completely understand, he works in a pawn shop who know what kind of prettys are in there, and people are willing to steal, if i want to shop im more than happy to give up my bag if need be, hell some times it nice not to have to watch it all the time

Comment

I'm with Boozy as well. I don't care if there are a team of people watching my bag, I just don't feel comfortable leaving it there.

Comment

We don't have a policy per se (we don't ask people to leave their bags, but have no problem with customers who want to). In a way, that lack of policy may be a problem (shoplifting; we have yet to catch anyone in the act, but there was some worrisome shrinkage from the basement).

I don't have a problem with leaving large bags near the counter (especially in stores with small aisles) if I can be reasonably sure they'll be safe.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I definitely don't like leaving my bag behind, since I've had things stolen before, so if I'm asked to leave my bag behind I'll simply walk out of the store. Not because I'm miffed at them, but because I don't like leaving my belongings behind.

My old college campus had the policy that no bags be allowed in the bookstore, and NO ONE was around to watch over the cubbies that they were to be left in. I asked one of the campus securitt guards if someone would be watching them and they told me no. I asked, "Well what's stopping someone from walking away with my purse then?" and he just shrugged.
              Well HELL NO I'm not leaving my things alone then.
              In spite of the long lines in the bookstore a classmate and I had to take turns watching each other's things while the other got their books.

This is among the many reasons why I transferred.

Comment

I'm not comfortable with the idea of leaving my bags behind the counter but would never be rude to staff about it.... unless they were rude to me first. (Had the door greeter at Wal-Mart once ask, in a condescending tone, to first search my backpack then to keep it at the cs desk while I shopped. I know that is not the policy at Wal-Mart and she had absolutely no reason to "suspect" me of anything....so she got the same attitude back that she gave. )

Comment

I've only had that happen once and I also left the store and haven't been back there. Strange logic to me... The store assumes I am a thief and can't be trusted with a bag in the store but expects me to assume that everyone there is honest and can be trusted my personal belongings.

Steve B.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                    My old college campus had the policy that no bags be allowed in the bookstore, and NO ONE was around to watch over the cubbies that they were to be left in. .
                    My campus bookstore has that same policy. But it's not for theft. It's because the thing's too darn small for people to be lugging around backpacks and such in there without causing major catastrophes.

That said, if I'm going to be quick in a store, then I don't mind it if I have to leave my bag. If I'm going to be longer, then I might have issue with it. The only place I'll go for a long time, where I have to leave my bag, is the gaming shop. But that's a conscious choice I made, since it's really the best location for comics/D&D books, I'm willing to put up with more.
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Okay. Those of you who feel persecuted by the bag check please look at it this way. Somebody at some point in time used an innocent-looking bag (purse/shoulder bag/backpack) to steal from the retailers that instituted this policy. Shoplifters also look just like you and me. They're not always easy to spot. The stores are not doing this to be mean to you, they're doing it so that they can reduce their losses, continue to operate, and pay their employees. You may be the nicest, most honest person in the world, but the guy who came in before you could have been a thieving scumbag.

I don't mind the bag checks because I'm smart enough to leave anything of real value at home or in my wallet, which I keep in my pocket.
                      Last edited by Mike Taylor; 01-10-2008, 04:08 AM.
                      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

in this case i can see the customer's point of view...

There's a store here where you're suppose to leave your bags right outside in cubbyholes. Almost no one obeys the rule. I don't obey it. My boyfriend doesn't. Then again they don't enforce it either.

My issue with the rule is that my backpack isn't cheap: 100% american made, guaranteed for life (even if re-sold) - My pack. I'd rather be asked to leave the store instead of handing it over.

(My BF's reasoning is the same...he uses a bigger pack, same company. he does NOT want it stolen.)

Comment

Quoth Mike Taylor View Post
                          Okay. Those of you who feel persecuted by the bag check please look at it this way. Somebody at some point in time used an innocent-looking bag (purse/shoulder bag/backpack) to steal from the retailers that instituted this policy.

<snip>

I don't mind the bag checks because I'm smart enough to leave anything of real value at home or in my wallet, which I keep in my pocket.
                          Totally see this, especially since you keep your wallet in your pocket....but I'm a woman and my wallet simply isn't small enough to keep in pocket. I'm with others that say it's perfectly acceptable to have a customer policy like this. However, I just won't shop there. Period. I don't feel comfortable enough leaving my backpack or purse out of my touch and sight when I'm in a store.

If that's they're policy for whatever reason (i.e. history of shoplifting, loss prevention, etc) then I respect that. I simply won't shop there.
                          Last edited by Ree; 01-11-2008, 11:29 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting
                          Do I dare
                          Disturb the universe?
                          In a minute there is time
                          For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

T.S. Eliot

Comment

I have seen this policy in nearly every college bookstore I've ever been in. I've also seen it in many stores that were located near high schools and junior colleges---not to pick on young people, but it is much more common among teenagers to shoplift, and the statistics bear that up. Most places I know that do it, do it not because they had one or two incidences in the past, but because if they don't, teenagers descend upon the place and practically clean it out.
                            Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Honestly, I don't care why the store has that policy. If they're having trouble with shoplifting, hire more LP. Or, get lockers which are free for us to use (you can have an employee feeding them if you like so that they're not abused).

While there may be good reasons for many things, there are also consequences. In this case, one of the consequences is that the store loses my business (and apparently others').

I'm with other people here ... if the store is afraid of theft, why should I trust your employees with my bag with however long I shop?

Also, which nobody has pointed out, in MANY places these days, leaving your bag behind raises suspicion. Try doing it in an airport.
                              "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Working...
                              X