This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't live in a hotel!

It was busy, so I didn't appreciate this lady bothering me, especially when she had no intention of buying anything. She walks up to the bar with a set of guide books and a map.

SC: Excuse me, but where are we on this map?
    Me: Ok, let me have a look for you...there, we are here.
    SC: And if I wanted to get into town...
    Me: You would walk down this road...take a right here...and then straight on for about five minutes.
    SC: OK, great! Thank you.
    Me: You're welcome.
    SC: Next!

She opens a guide book.

SC: Where should I stay?
    Me: You're looking for a hotel?
    SC: Yes! Where is good?
    Me: Well I've heard that <hotel> is good.
    SC: I don't want to know what you have heard, I want to know what you KNOW is good.
    Me: I'm sorry I couldn't say personally. I have never stayed in a hotel here.
    SC: How could you not have stayed in a hotel around here?
    Me: Well...I live here...I have a house.
    SC: Fine then. *opens guide book* Does this bed and breakfast have any rooms left?
    Me: I really don't know. There's a phone number for them there, you could call them.
    SC: So you don't know if they have any rooms?
    Me: No.
    SC: But you said you lived around here!
    Me: There are plenty of numbers you could call, and like I said, I've heard that <hotel> is pretty good.
    SC: I can't believe you don't know anything!
    Me:

But your supposed to know everything! Every hotel, every shop, every street.

What? Didn't you get the memo?

Comment

What a total twit!
      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Did you get any indication that she was mentally ill? Those questions just seem to suggest that she doesn't have both oars in the water.

Comment

Quoth Boldido View Post
          Those questions just seem to suggest that she doesn't have both oars in the water.
          It also wouldn't surprise me if she was up a certain creek without a paddle...

/bad pun

But seriously, it sounds like she's not all there. If she was an AAA member, you could have referred her to their nearest office, and they could have answered her questions. (For those who don't now, AAA has plenty of books on different areas, complete with directions and various hotel phone numbers.)
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
            It was busy, so I didn't appreciate this lady bothering me, especially when she had no intention of buying anything. She walks up to the bar with a set of guide books and a map.
            This was one of my biggest pet peeves at the cafe. We'd all be running around like chickens with our heads cut off during lunch rush, and someone would walk in with a map and start asking for directions. And then after directions, start asking for recommendations for hotels, etc.

We're aren't a damn travel agency.

I'd always say, "We're extremely busy, I literally don't have a second to deal with this. There is an insurance office right next door, and a sports gear store on the other side. Ask them."

Why walk into the ONE place on the entire street that's swamped?

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I get lost. Frequently. Well, when I'm going someplace that I haven't been to very often. So sometimes I have to stop and ask for directions.

Preferences: gas stations (if all else fails, I can buy a newer map), hotels, delivery places.

Behavior: if there's a line, wait in it. If it's applicable, buy a little something so you're not wasting the clerk's time. Find out where to go or where to get directions & leave. If possible, research the place where you're going before you go so you know what the lodging options are.

Ye gods, what was with that woman You don't pester someone who's busy and you're better off getting answers from a chamber of commerce or something like AAA.
              I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Despite that she may sound out of it (mentally speaking) to some, people like this are quite common in my area. When I worked the front desk of the hotel (out of the CS positions now, thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster), we would get people coming in to ask us about the quality of this bed and breakfast or that other inn. Since we work the front desk of THIS inn, we must know about the others. And their availability. And can't you call them and check for me?

Several of them complained to management about our 'poor customer service' because we wouldn't tell them which of the OTHER inns they should stay at. They were disabused of the notion on the basis that if you're not staying with us, you're not a customer as far as WE are concerned.

Mostly these people are from large cities, and are visiting very small towns. The center of 'town' where I work is literally two sides of a single block. The center of town where I live is a strip set back from the road with 1 restaurant, 1 gas station, 1 church, 2 banks, the fire dept/police dept/town hall building, and the post office.

Of course, we have 101 bed and breakfasts and 1001 antique shops, and SC visitors expect us to know the intimate up to date details on every single one.

Comment

customersruinmylife . . . I take it you don't work for AAA, a travel agency, or Chamber of Commerce?

You stated a customer walked up with maps and travel guides . . .these are items that you find in such places . . .and most likely they would be able to answer such questions.

Do you work at an information booth? Some people honestly don't realize that information booths in a store are only for that store. Some shopping malls have them and they not only answer questions about the mall itself but they are a branch of the Chamber of Commerce and therefore are able to answer questions about the town.

I can feel your frustration if it isn't your job . . .but I am not clear on what your job is.

Comment

Beyond dumb!

In my city, we have a very large information center, where you can get directions, hotel recommendations and brochures on places to visit in the city (and surrounding areas). Its a really nice place, I'd go there with my Mom when I was young to look up information on a town next to us.
                    Be like the flower that perfumes the very hand that crushes it.

Comment

And I can't believe you don't listen!!!
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Emrld View Post
                        I can feel your frustration if it isn't your job . . .but I am not clear on what your job is.
                        He's a bartender.

(In a bar that's usually very busy, from the sounds of his other posts.)

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                          When I worked the front desk of the hotel (out of the CS positions now, thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster), we would get people coming in to ask us about the quality of this bed and breakfast or that other inn. Since we work the front desk of THIS inn, we must know about the others. And their availability. And can't you call them and check for me?
                          Okaaaay, I can understand asking the hotel staff about recommending restaurants, but OTHER hotels? Unless the one that they are standing in is full, why would they even begin asking that?
                          I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth Emrld View Post
                            customersruinmylife works in a bar to put this in context. The idjit with the guide book was completely out of line.
                            I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

Me:
                              My response: I know you're being a royal pain in the ass. Now, buy something or leave because I'm busy!

Yes, I've been known to be that blunt with one or two noncustomers in the past. Threats of complaining to my manager or the office just don't put the fear of God into me. If you're not at the store to make a purchase, you're not a customer. You're just a loiterer, and a nuissance if you're interfering with my ability to serve paying customers.

I swear I hate the ones who expect me to drop what I'm doing to help them with something not in my job description, then throw a fit when I'm not compliant with their demands.

Usually, when someone wants to know where something is around town, I point them to the maps or hand them the phone book. If it's just a question I can answer simply and quickly, I will. Otherwise, they're on their own because I have a job to do, and that's not it.
                              The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X